2017-06-01 02:11:47

Well here we are again.
Actually I can't believe that half of 2017 has already vanished. I also can't believe that I'm coming up to my first Wedding anniversary in just over a month on the third of July, as the old saying goes, time flies when your deliriously happy big_smile.
Anyway, other things aside, welcome to yet another of our monthly chances to discourse about anything, and everything you might wish to, life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, liberty equality, fraternity, not to mention enormity, atrocity, immensity, obesity,, morbidity, rapacity, electricity, elasticity, magnanimity, eccentricity, audacity, quantum singularity, neutron flow polarity, high levels of radioactivity, ---- but not felicity, because it's rude to talk about her behind her back big_smile.

Anyway for myself June is looking to be interesting.
I seem to be doing more gaming now than I was which is a good thing since I did seem a wee bit stuck in a rut. I am enjoying crafting kingdom though and have also started one of the cog titles, saga of the north wind, though I'm not really far enough along to talk about it completely.

In other news, Mrs. Dark and I are going to have to start preparing, since it was my dad's 70th birthday this mmonth and one of his presents was  large party on a river boat, at which he wants us to sing. This will be good since without any engagements for singing I'm afraid motivating vocal practice is a little difficult.

My review of Anne Mccaffry's first Dragon riders novel is now up on www.fantasybookreview.co.uk.
I really wanted to set the record straight on this one. Not only is it the first Mccaffrey I've read since the age of 19, but also I have read far too many reviews  tend to take very one sided perspectives, particularly with mccaffrey's gender roles.

Yes, there are a few issues, some perhaps to do with Mccaffrey being a first time writer, some perhaps her attempts to portray a society where gender is definitely not! equal, and some perhaps simply that we are here talking about a writer born in 1926 who was! writing in the late sixties, (Mrs. Dark actually some of Mccaffrey's characters read as though they've come out of a fifties romance novel, not having read any fifties romance novels I'll take her word on this.

Even as a Teenager Dragon flight wasn't imho my favourite of the series and it was obvious she was finding her feet, so I did want to write a more balanced perspective that acknolidges some of the issues but also admits some of the good things in the series, and after all, I do like dragons big_smile.

I'm currently reading a collection of very grim science fiction stories by Alice B sheldan, aka James Tiptree junior (she adopted a male pen name). They're wonderfully grim, though unfortunately she! doesn't write male characters very well, then again, some of her stories are fantastically, and wonderfully alien.
When I've finished this I will probably look at something else to review, though whether I will go on  Mccaffrey or try something else I am not sure.

In other news,  my lady and I finished the Hunger games trilogy over the weekend which was actually ver awesome, so tonight I began with my lady on series one of New who, ---- yes starting with Christopher ecleston as the 9th doctor. it struck me as a good way to get on board with the series, and for all Russel T davies had his issues, I did like a lot of what he did, --- hsame about Steven Moffat's nicy nicy, flirty women retcon anything bad happening approach but luckily we don't have to go there.
My lady actually is! enjoying it which is nice, since while I don't think she'll ever be the Whovian I am, it'd  be nice to share a few bits of Who, perhaps some of the better Bf audios or novelizations etc, --- she has already heard Chimes of midnight.
For myself I was surprised how much fun the start of series one is, with evil shop window dummies and the 9th doctor being very gruff. It's odd, at the time it just seemed too superficial to me, but I think my balance for a bit of fun has shifted somewhat, especially given that light as the first episode is there are some pretty nasty deaths and the Doctor is genuinely grim.

A shame ecleston wussed out of playing the role, but then again that did give us the awesomeness of tenant.

Anyway it is late and people probably don't want to stand by while I witter about doctor who, because I pretty much could do that all night.

So, what has everyone else been up to?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-01 12:04:12

Every time I read one of these topics I feel like posting about my life is the greatest challenge I could possibly undertake.  You hear that, game devs?  Your games aren't as challenging as posting about my life is!
Mind you, it's not like I'm a member of the FBI, CIA, NSA, Department of Homeland Security, Area51, or some other nefarious data collecting, conspiracy filled, shadowy and secretive organization that's out to get you, but the simplicity of my life is such that I can honestly say I'm raising children, raising a kitten, gaming a bit when I can, reading when I can, writing a bit when I can, going to church in between, and pretty much cover the extent of it with that little bit.  If there's anything I like doing it's logging into alter and being asked my oppinion or advice on something I might actually have an answer to, which happens at least once a week; it's a rewarding experience.  I was working on a newby article for the articles room that would cover anything and everything from possible leveling and practice allocating strategies, to equipment that can be useful particularly at lower levels.  Then my cat decided my article was trash and walked all over it.  :d
I like popping into these topics and addressing other people's issues, so even if I don't post one month, believe me, I'm reading what you post!  Waa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-06-01 12:58:51

Dark,
The traditional gift theme for the first wedding anniversary is paper. The modern gift
theme is clocks.
For my first, I slipped a fortune cookie in my pocket from a Chinese restaurant, then steamed it open and replaced the message with a Brailled one that I wrote.
"May  the world be open before you as a table
set for a delicious feast."

2017-06-01 15:18:48

Phill, I'm impressed. How did you fit a braille message of such length inside a fortune cookie? Even the print 'messages are small enough to fit in individual Trident wrappers. tongue smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-06-01 19:58:19

Lol Phil as Cae said, was it a particularly large cookie?
One thing I'd love to get my lady for our first wedding anniversary is a great serpent Ais sidai ring from Wheel of time. No it's not traditional to give rings at a wedding anniversary, but then again I don't know where weaves of the one power fall in terms of the hole paper, tin, jewelary malarchy anyway big_smile.

Unfortunately I'm not sure where to get one at the second but it is something I'd like to see about since my lady loves! the wheel of time, ---- quite surprising given we have a marriage entirely free from spanking and mistrust big_smile.

"Nocturnus, lol I told Mrs. Dark about your kitten and she alternated between @aaaah cute!@ and profuse laughter big_smile.

Maybe you'll be running into her on Alter at some point. actually I need to get backt o Alter myself and probably once Mrs. Dark starts I'll head online at the same time to fill in questions.
For the article, that would be very cool so if you feel like trying again despite feline depredations, and life based time constraints feel free.

Myself unfortunately I've just finished one of the most upside down 24 hour periods ever! when I was literally awake all night and asleep all day, but hay, such is life, and at least I've got plenty of other things sorted out in the mean time, including getting a working install of Winamp on my windows 10 machine since while I've enjoyed Vlc for dvds I am just finding it's lack in some conveniences in playback options for audio (not to mention it's inability to play crazy game music formats), to be a bit of a problem.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-01 21:03:19

CAE_Jones

I had a 2 sided slate so half of the words were on each side. I also used regular thin paper not thicker Braille paper.

2017-06-01 21:44:10

Well I still continue to fade in and out of existence, at least as far as the audio games scene is concerned.  As soon as the weather outside started to warm up, life yanked me away from the computer.

I've spent time working on my garden, which now has a 15 foot long section growing potatoes.  I've been growing them each year, but this is their first year in a new location in my yard.  I want to see if the soil in this spot helps them grow better than their traditional spot.  It's still amazing to me that store-bought potatoes tend to go bad after a few weeks in my fridge, but when I harvest my home-grown potatoes each October they don't rot all the way through winter and I'm able to plant them in the spring.  I started to wonder if the refrigeration was what kills my store bought ones, since the ones I grow just sit in a cardboard box in my basement until next planting season, but a nasty disaster proved to me that keeping store bought ones without refrigeration is not the answer.  For a day Jennifer and I could smell this stench of death in the house, and it turned out the store bought potatoes had begun to rot on the shelf in our basement, and the smell had drifted upstairs.  That was unpleasant.

We've been growing raspberry bushes for a few years, and last year I started the long process of cutting and rooting new plants along the fence on one side of our yard.  The goal is to have more raspberries grow each summer, but also to have it become a sort of privacy fence on that side.  The bushes take at least 1 year to grow, so this has been the sort of project where you have to just keep telling yourself that the work will pay off.  Finally this summer I can see the progress since the line of new plants is about a foot tall.  I have, and will have to continue my cutting/rooting efforts this summer too, in order to fill in all of the gaps along the fence.

2 years ago the pipe leading to my garden hose froze during the winter without us knowing.  When we tried to water the front garden it ended up flooding one room of our basement and causing a huge headache.  As the relatively lazy person I am, I capped off the broken pipe and figured I would get around to fixing it later in the summer... which never happened.

We have a garden hose on the side of our house too, which turned in to the only one we used after that pipe had split.  There was no urgent need to undertake the whole repair process/cost when we didn't need to use that front hose anyway.  Well this spring when I first turned on the side garden hose, the water pressure seemed low.  I spent several minutes trying to figure out where on earth my hose was kinked until I had that sudden sinking feeling in my stomach... this was similar to what had happened a few years ago!  Sure enough, the side pipe had frozen and split in the winter, and our entire laundry room was flooded.  The worst part about it was that I had a shelf filled with hard drives, power supplies, and other electronics that were all destroyed.  Related to this I had a power supply go bad a few weeks ago (anyone remember the Swamp server going offline?), and without my wall of spares I had to quickly fix it with one yanked from another, less-used computer.

I have replaced the pipe for the side garden hose already, but as it turns out, the pipe to the front hose is a little different.  There is an elbow right where I would need to cut, in order to fix it the same way I fixed the side pipe.  It figures that I bought 2 of everything when I set out to do this repair, believing that the same parts would let me fix both spots.  Receipt is long gone so that was money down the drain.  tongue

The roof of my garage has been in bad shape for years and last fall it finally sprang a few leaks that were beyond the usual quick-fix.  The time had come to just tear the whole thing off, except it had already gotten far too cold out.  Since about November my garage has had a huge blue tarp fastened over it to keep the rain out, and I'm still trying to find the time to work on that.  The entire roof has to come off, down to the boards themselves being replaced, and then of course it must be re-shingled.  I expect that to be a solid 2 days worth of work, and probably a few extra just for clean up afterwards.  Yay.

I tend to be the go-to guy for family and friends when things fall apart, so I've had quite a few projects going on outside of my own home.  I've fixed a fence, helped change out plumbing in a bathroom, installed I'd say a dozen light fixtures at my in-laws', and am currently trying to finish up a huge project in a basement.  Oh, I also got to take apart an industrial deli meat slicer to repair it, which was something I'd never worked on before and was pretty cool.  I only cut myself once on it!  yay!  big_smile

My sister in law's wiring in her basement was down right dangerous.  I was originally recruited to install new lighting throughout the basement, but after uncovering death trap after death trap with the wiring, the project grew.  What ended up happening was I tore out the entire basement ceiling (and some walls), made sense of and removed all of the wiring in the entire thing, hung new lights, and rewired the whole thing from scratch.  Even the breaker box itself was a mess.

The person who had owned her house 30 years ago had apparently considered himself to be an electrician.  I'm not sure how many here have any sort of electrical experience, but he had wired the entire basement (minus the furnace and 2 of the electrical sockets) to run off of a single 15 amp breaker, and using 14-gauge wire which is only meant to be used on overhead lighting.  Places inside the walls had literally burned over the years, smoldering and even severing some wires in 2!  The circuit breaker probably tripped left and right, which would have told the guy there was a big problem with what he had done.  His solution was to drill up to the main floor and tie the single large basement circuit into some of the circuits upstairs.  To cut the power to the basement multiple breakers had to be turned off.  It was a nightmare to untangle, and quite dangerous.

I've only been able to go over and work on that project maybe a day or 2 each week, so we're now approaching month #2.  I still have a few more electrical sockets to wire in, and a bit more cleaning up.  I hope it can be finished in a day, or perhaps 2 if anything pops up to slow down progress.  I'm glad things are now safer for them in the house, but I'm sure it bothers them knowing that everything outside the basement is still potentially wired wrong by that previous owner.  Without literally tearing open each wall of their house, there is no way I can diagnose or fix any other hidden problems.  They'll just have to hope for the best.

When her basement is finished, my next project will be my garage roof, and then a few other projects that have more recently been added on to my growing list.  My in-law's need a new custom sized door put on their garage since the old one is falling apart, my other sister-in-law needs her privacy fence repaired in about a bazillion places (plus a few new fence posts put in), and my nephews have a new swing set but someone needs to put it together in their backyard.  smile

Oh yeah, and some people may have wanted me to work on audio game stuff.  ROFL!

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-06-02 12:25:25

Aprone,
Proper Storage of potatoes

Store potatoes in a cool, well ventilated place.
Do not place a bag of potatoes on or around your fruit basket, or leave them exposed on the counter.
Do not store with onions- Onions are capable of making them sprout faster.
Colder temperatures lower than 50 degrees, such as in the refrigerator, cause a potato’s starch to convert to sugar, resulting in a sweet taste and discoloration
when cooked.  If you do refrigerate, letting the potato warm gradually to room temperature before cooking can reduce the discoloration.
Avoid areas that reach high temperatures (beneath the sink or beside large appliances) or receive too much sunlight (on the countertop).
Perforated paper bags offer the best environment for extending shelf-life
Keep potatoes out of the light.
Don’t wash potatoes (or any produce, for that matter) before storing.  Dampness promotes early spoilage.
Add dried herbs. You can use dried sage, lavender and or rosemary herbs in a cotton drawstring
(muslin) bag. The essential oils of clove, spearmint
and peppermint can also prevent potatoes from sprouting.

Green” or sprouting potatoes
Green on the skin of a potato is the build-up of a chemical called Solanine. It is a natural reaction to the potato being exposed to too much light. Solanine
produces a bitter taste and if eaten in large quantity can cause illness.
If there is slight greening, cut away the green portions of the potato skin before cooking and eating.
Sprouts are a sign that the potato is trying to grow. Storing potatoes in a cool, dry, dark location that is well ventilated will reduce sprouting.
Cut the sprouts away before cooking or eating the potato.

2017-06-02 17:33:16

wel, let's stepp in here then. my biggest problem for now is that for some reason swamp is changing my derektion whenever i log on to the game and start using the mous. i'm using a dell laptop windows10 64bit. first i thought it was the touchpad but touchpad is disabled and it still does it. i tried putting something on it my phone but it sitll does it. whenever i move my external mous it does that thing. i also tried deleting the progress file but didn't help. so. i wanna get back to it but currently i'm not able to, any help?
only thing i won't do is uninstalling my touchpad drivers

2017-06-03 09:54:01

TJT1234, haha, that is very true.  My family and friends could hire people to do the various jobs they need done, but of course that costs money.  While some of them probably do have enough money to pay for professionals, and they All make more money than I do, it is still money I wouldn't want to see them spend on something I can do for free.

Phil, that pretty much sounds like how I store my potatoes, but the store bought ones never seem to last.  I wonder if they scrub them or something before going to the store, and somehow shorten their shelf life.

Sito, it sounds like it may be an issue with the screen settings or resolution.  If, for example, Swamp is somehow running in a forced windowed mode it would cause you to constantly spin.  The game is built to be full screen, so something that forces it into a window will mess up the calculations the game uses to determine the angle you are facing.

I'm only guessing of course, and the actual issue may be something completely different.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-06-03 13:42:10

oh, so maximise the window would help then? or how will you get swamp to run in fool screan mode

2017-06-03 20:17:34

sorry for double posting. so i got the program to run in full screan but unfortunatlly it didn't fix the issue. i'll get a new mous soon but i don't think it's my mous that's causing the problem because it was perfectly fine wheni was using windows 7. really want this thing to get solved so i can get to play this again. any help would be nice.

2017-06-04 01:03:32

@Sito, Swamp is awesome, I need to get back to it myself, as I've loved playing it on every occasion I tried, but haven't been able to do it successively, however now I have a desktop and an actual mouse (since playing on a laptop trackpad didnt' do it).

@Aprone, wow! you sound quite the handy man. I always admire people who can do sort of practical stuff like this, since I find myself that clumsiness combined with lack of eyeballs does rather get in the way, changing lightbulbs is about my limit, though fortunately one of the advantages in having the council as my landlord is that most plumbing and electrician type issues, ---- not to mention taking care of the lawn are done by them directly, though some of their priorities can be a little nuts!

I recall a couple of months ago several light fittings in my flat needed replacing (not just the bulbs, but the hole socket they go in). When it was just the one in the bathroom I didn't bother, since it's not as if you need lots of light to take a bath,  but when both the living room and kitchen went in rapid succession I something needed doing.

the council initially told me  waiting time for an electrician would be over a month. When however they found out one of the broken light fixtures was the one in the kitchen they instantly said "wow! a food preparation area is a priority, as preparing food in the dark is a health hazard! someone will be around to fix the kitchin light fitting tomorrow, --- but the bathroom will have to wait"

I did actually point out to them that Mrs. Dark is totally blind and I am mostly blind and probably use my other senses as much as my vision anyway, (I thought it was only fair), but they were absolutely adamant on the subject, also absolutely adamant on the fact that the electrician could only! fix the kitchen fixture and the others would have to wait for another appointment  big_smile.

As it happened the  electrician was a jolly nice chap (as is quite with the council maintenance people), and was quite happy to replace all the light fixtures in one go (he was actually quite amused about the council's regulations) big_smile.

So I hoep this teaches everyone on the forum that you must! turn the lights on in the kitchen, --- -whether you can see them or not! big_smile.

As for me I've not got too much extra to report, though I will say the new Alter event sounds great. My lady loves angels so it's come at the right time.
I also have undertaken a couple more quests and intend to get back into the game on a regular basis, picking up where I left off, particularly since I do fancy having a go at these crafting skills (indeed methinks the Alteraeon entry in the db might need updating with details).

2017-06-04 03:14:52

nsure thing it is, i've also thought of returning back to alter but thing is it makes me bored after 1 hour of game play. heh. nah really if there is a way to get swamp working for me again i'll get back to it for sure.when all your friends plays you also wanna get on and kill some zombies

2017-06-04 05:12:50

So a couple months ago, I got some peppermint, rosemary, and lavender plants, hoping to ward off the vampiric swarms. While I have yet to lose sleep at the whim of whiny blood-sucking hellspawn, my plants are kinda dying, and I do not know why. I have 3 inside, mositioned to get light from the kitchen window, and 3 others on the porch. It has been very rainy and cloudy for the past week, but this was a problem for most of May. I have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it sad

Any game development progress has slowed to a crawl, because of what I am hereby dubbing Chaos Lag. It mysteriously started slowing down in the first week of May, and got worse as time went on. Speed tests and tweaks to reduce the infant mortality rate (it's a computing term!) have been fruitless, as it keeps telling me weird things like it taking 21ms to play a sound (but only when there's attacking involved), it's significantly faster to chain geometric transformation methods than to call them separately, but only if nothing else is happening. It's all very confusing and I can hardly diagnose it for more than 2 hours at a time before I run out of ideas and reboot.

Speaking of the weather... I don't remember the last day it was dry enough to go anywhere. I should probably invest in some good boots, but I don't wanna. tongue

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-06-04 16:37:33

Ugh CAE, random lag is never a fun thing to diagnose!  I wish you luck on that man.

As for the plants, the solution would depend on what is actually wrong with the plants, but of course you're stuck guessing on that.  If the plants aren't getting enough sun, a neat trick is to put a small amount of sugar into the plant.  By small I do mean small, haha.  I've done this in the form of a small pinch of sugar next to a plant, tipping a soda/pop to pour a tiny bit on them, or a dab of honey.  Basically whatever sugar source you have lying around.  Too much will cause it harm, but a small amount can counteract the effects of the plant not getting enough sunlight.  More than anything I've done this on house plants that don't get as much sunlight as they would if outside, but I suppose enough cloudy days in a row is sort of the same thing.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-06-04 22:45:45

yeh, thanks, the problem is fixed now. awesome that i can return back and play. but i've lost some skills heh. it's just bad when you're being reminded of how much you really forget if you don't do a certain task many times

2017-06-08 09:01:14

Hello everyone,
It's been a long while since I last posted to this forum. Well, if my memory serves me well, I'm posting for the second time in the monthly chat topics.

Well, may has been a fantastic month for me. I got through a state level examination known as AP ICET (Andhra Pradesh Integrated common Entrance Test) for admission into MBA and got 85th rank all over the state. smile Now all I need to do is to wait till August, for my MBA classes to start.

In other news, I'm playing a lot of alter aeon lately, and have participated in the two summer event acts that are currently open, and I look forward to completing the other event quests that may pop up in the near future. I'm also playing cleft of dimensions, so far it has been good, although the mantic ant in the rabbit forest has been difficult for me at least, probably due to the poison, without which I could kill it easily. Thank you, Orin, for telling us about that MUD, it's really cool.

That's all for now.

2017-06-08 19:33:37

I'm getting ready to sell off two macs, a braille sense, and a dell latitude with both NVDA and JAWS installed on it... I dread doing this but desperately need the money and hope someone will bite once I put these up.  Between being sick and having to deal with said sickness over the past week on top of dealing with three hungry mouthes not including my wife and myself, we're past the zero and into the negative ranges where money's concerned.  We had just barely recovered from an astronomically high water bill and an AC repair bill and then got hit with this bunch of junk.  I can't believe I'm resorting to selling, but when you really don't have a job, and you don't want to keep asking for handouts and sounding like the world's greatest loser always getting hit by tragic this and that bla bla bla, you end up where I am now.  That'll take me down to a used desktop who's integrity I can't be certain of and a lenovo thinkpad with a finiky battery, but for the time being, they're still running, and I dare say that even with these I have more than enough.  At this point, I'm more interested in paying my bills than I am in sentimental value.
Getting back to the sickness thing, I don't remember a time when I wanted to encase my face in an ice cube as I have this past week; it honestly felt like I was walking around with a radiant ball of hheat in my skull that thoroughly cooked me from the inside out!  I could feel my veins pulsing, and with every pulse I felt pain and heat just pouring and washing over me in a suffocating rhythmic, seemingly endless cycle of doom!  I'd kick the covers off, and the cold would press in on me from all sides while my face somehow continued to burn and sweat drenched me from head to foot and made my bed a nightmare and a half.  Add a stuffy nose and nausea, and somehow having to take care of 3 children, while not wanting to eat a thing, and your wife is sick as well... I got nothing, absolutely nothing done this week other than learning how fast I could run and hold in my guts in the process because I didn't want to projectile launch them anywhere else in the house other than the nearest toilet.  When I finally did hit the toilet, literally, with my elbo, as I was coming down to toss whatever made its way up, I threw away all my morality and was violently, bone twichingly, nerve rackingly, monstrosly sick.  My wife says I scared the girls; I know I scared myself.  So forceful was the action that I lost my voice for the next couple of days and couldn't swallow much of anything to boot.  Today, I consider myself fortunate to still be alive and have a loving family, because the last 7 days since writing post 2 on this topic have been as close to hell as I've ever been or imagined here on earth.  Bored out of my skull with tons to do but no energy to do a thing, mostly unable to talk, sick and tired of being sick and tired, curled up into a sometimes flaming, sometimes freezing ball of... what, coldfire?  I don't know.  Toss in the thunderstorms and the power going out a few times and, uh, yeah.
they say the grass is greener on the other side, but crossing the fence just to get there is a hard process; why'd they build that freaking fence anyway?  They say there's silver linings within the black clouds, but seriously!  Florida, what the blazes are you doing to me!
And now that I've posted these mostly morbid memories of a week that has come and gone, I must try and  satisfy my hunger.  Thankfully, that shouldn't involve too much food for awhile.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-06-09 07:53:52

Well lots of interesting stuff going on, and I don't just mean the fact that it seems once again the British people cannot make up their mind which party they  in charge. Then again since the choice at the moment seems pretty much to be someone who promises to leave europe successfully and be a tough nut but continue taking money away from pretty much every governmental service, or a nut case who threatens to privatise anything, or Ukip, aka the uk independence party who were nut cases even before! the Uk became independent from europe the phrase devil and deep blue sea comes to mind!
Still, I'm a little worried about things thus far, since this is not really the time for a coalition government bent on rangling, especially a coalition between partie two parties who historically hate each other.

people have been  this a hung parliament, ---- myself I would be more in favour of a hanged!  parliament, ie, if Britain ends up in trouble time to break out the gallows big_smile.

Welcome to monthly chat saiteja, glad your exam went okay. I'm afraid I feel  provincial since I actually had to look up where Andhra Pradesh was big_smile.
I did believe it sounded Indian, but I'm afriad my geography even of Britain is pretty dreadful, let alone anywhere else.
@Cae I used to  first a lemon balm then a mint plant on my windowsill since there is nothing like making fresh herbal tea from the leaves of an actually growing plant.
It rather disconcerted the local representative of the liberal democrat party who turned up while canvasing back for the 2011 election, asked for a cup of tea  then saw me go  mutilate a plant big_smile.

Still it did make for nice teaa. ~These days a vase of flowers is mostly the limit, actually one of the first things I had to do when mrs. Dark moved in with  was go down and borrow a vase from my neighbor since I didn't actually own one but  rather like buying her flowers. "borrow" turned into "well just keep this one" and it's been a perminant fixture since, usually with something floral in it.
As to games, I will say I'm enjoying the recent rash of Alter quests and events. The thing I love in alter is firstly the combat isn't static, meaning you don't just type "kill" and get on with it but have spells and abilities to play with, and secondly that you always have actual quests and jobs to do, it's not like a game like aardwolf which is just grind grind grrrrrrind!
I just wish I could get some higher level druid abilities to work properly, since it seems that control weather spells just take up lots  mana and get me killed quickly, where as my usual tachtic of entangling routes, poison ivy, and then let my walking trees and various vicious beasties beat up the enemy while I hurl fist of the earth, thistles and dust devil  until they  is bstill the best tachtic.

I did have a look at cleft of dimentions, but I need to spend a little more time with the game I think, in particular looking up quests, though at the moment between crafting kingdom, alter, and a few goes at black box I'm pretty busy gaming wise, and that isn't counting the review I'm in the middle of for Sign of the dove by Susan fletcher or the fact I'm  my first horror novel by Bently little, who is proving wonderfully ghoulish! (I'll probably do a review of that as well).

In other news, my lady had her first dalek story yesterday, ---- hurrah! she is converted big_smile.
Then again Dalek is probably the most unique story in the first series of new who, particularly with how the 9th doctor is a right git and very, very wrong. Of course that all goes down the tubes thanks to Moffat's retcon of     the time war, but there you go.

Oh, and of cours
@Nocturnus,That is pretty nasty! sympathy on the feeling generally dysmal. Having had a cold back in 2015 which turned into a chest infection which had me speaking like Dr. Claw from the old inspector gadget cartoons, and not able to sleep since every time I dropped off I'd choke myself awake.
that was pretty dam grim! sort of amazing that Mrs. Dark and I wound up married given that that was the first time we saw each other and I sounded like a twenty a day smoker big_smile.

Hope your hell is recovering Nocturnus since that is definitely not good, particularly if your wife is also not well (I know myself I coep far better with me! being ill than with Mrs. Dark being ill).

Now, off to srestart some crafting big_smile.

2017-06-09 12:27:15

Dark,
Some women like the sound of a twenty a day smoker.
She probably imagined you as a sexy scruff take charge whisky drinking rebel.

2017-06-09 17:47:32

Hi all,
Everything is going well. Work wise  it has been nothing but washing  dishes with just a little bit of preparation  thrown in  luckily when my dad returns from vacation in a few weeks I'm going to work mornings . Game play is pretty slim right now

2017-06-14 10:04:58

phil wrote:

She probably imagined you as a sexy scruff take charge whisky drinking rebel.

Well rebel certainly given I'm not a fan of much mainstream, wisky drinking, ---- on occasion if it's a good wisky.
"scruff?" Well isn't that just a slob with attitude?
As to take charge, that is something I do not do. After all I don't have a compatible port for a standard 15 amp wall plug or even a place one can plug a usb charging cable.

I did hear apple were were trying something with their new "human interface", but it wasn't popular, in fact when the idea was proposed most people told them to stick it up their you know what big_smile.

Glad things are fun mariaespino, when you say washing dishes, do you mean as a job at a restaurant or generally? I tend to find it's me that usually does the washing up for myself and mrs. Dark while she tends to try and put things away, mostly because I mind doing it considerably less than she does.

Well things for me are fun. I've been doing a lot of playing alter, and Mrs. dark even had her first try. She found the experience somewhat confusing both in terms of mapping and not realizing to miss off room descriptions for combat, still she's going to give it another go and see if she can track down the carver shaman for the first quest. Actually she's being quite hard on herself for not getting along better, but since she's never played a computer rpg before, or indeed any sort of text game there is going to be a learning curve, though she does enjoy the sounds, music, quests etc.

She's a druid cleric.

As for me I'm enjoying getting back to the game, there are some new things on Arcase I need to take care of, particularly the ghost orcs quests, though annoyingly my minians keep attacking the slaves which is a pain.

I've sent off a couple of new book reviews and am now reading Belgarath the sorcerer by david eddings.

I read  before many years ago but as I recently redid the main series it occurred to me to do the prequals.
On the one hand it is fun, on the other, Polgara is really! rather irritating.
What amuses me is that some of the more sexist and rather idiotic bits come across as sort of adorable rather than annoying, for example when Belgarath's wife tells him she likes him to say sher loves her, and he complains "I will never understand women" big_smile.

I wasn't going to write a review of the book, but since it seems fantasybookreview.co.uk don't have any reviews of them I might do one after all.

q

2017-06-22 12:48:18

Well okay  know we're getting into that bit of the month where the monthly chat topic tends to get forgotten about but I'll chime in anyway.
alter has continued to be fun, indeed even though there are a few muds I need to try I have enjoyed Alter a lot recently and am struggling to tear myself away.

This week we're preparing to sing at my dad's 70th birthday party, which should be good, also we have a choire thing  will be fun for what it is, it's basically 600 people meet up and put together a couple of things in a week and sing them at a concert, one is Carl Orf's carina Borana, the other is the chorus from Ieda.

Other than that things continue. I have finished elgarath the sorcerer and an putting together another review for it at the moment, though lack of sleep is proving a problem. On the plus side I have started angel series two.
My watch through of all of buffy and Angel got put on hold slightly by the fact my lady and I got married, but I'm getting back to it now and finding the hole vampire nastiness to be fun! actually the writing in the series is extremely good and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

i'd love to introduce it to Mres. Dark, but it's not described and though I have episode transcripts (which I check sometimes myself if there are fast action sequences), it's not really the same.

I have also started llistening to the new Torchwood audio, lives of captain jack, which I believe Bf are planning extra bits of. It's really unique to see Jack harkness elsewhere without torchwood, I particularly liked the first story which showed the earth following the defeat of the Daleks in the end of new who series one, which is also good given that we rewatched that series rather recently.
The only thing I do wish  that you found out what happened to Lynda and the other programmers on the game station, since it's always been a question as to whether Rose reconstituted them in the same way she did jack or not.

Shame they don't make Dr. Who like that anymore, though I really should catch up with last year's series nine as I did hear it apparently was slightly better than moffat's usual crap.

anyway before I go off completely into the realms of whovian fandom methinks I'd better stop big_smile.

Hope everyone else is having fun.

2017-06-28 14:59:16

Well it's nearly the end of June, but I thought I'd let everyone know what is happening.
I won't be around the forum as frequently this week because I'm at my parents, and though  I'm in the process of bying a new windows 10  laptop I can't pick it up until tomorrow, so right now I have to pinch my lady's windows 7 machine to get on the forum.

Then again,  should be back soon with a  nice new laptop, which I can then start to install fun things on.

This week is also hugely busy because my lady and I are singing for dad's 70th birthday party on Friday, and we've also got a one  off quire thing singing carl orf's carina borana and the  chorus from   idea which should be good, and I should be back on form with gaming etc next week.