2017-05-26 22:45:36

Hello to all on the forum, i just want to know, is it possible for blind people to play flight gear flight sim that can be found at flightgear.org
Please let me know if it is possible. best regards.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-05-27 04:37:29 (edited by Orin 2017-05-27 04:38:01)

No, it is not. It is also a joke.

2017-05-27 05:53:45

A joke?
Oh, I didn't know it's  a joke, since I don't have money to purchase MFS 2006...

73 Wj3u

2017-05-27 08:47:06

Hi.
Long time ago, I heard about a free flight sim which is accessible. I think it's flight gear. It have a command interface and shortcuts which can be used. So I'm not sure that this is a joke. However, it might be an other free flight simulator I've heard about, but there is actually something out there which have a command interface and is accessible by using shortcuts. I know a blind geek who are playing it on her Mac and on Linux as well, but it is so complicated so I have given up on getting it up and running. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-05-27 08:48:58

Are there any main streem accessible flight sim's out there?
accept for microsoft flight sim whitch is so expencive and you need a lot of addons to play that game.

best regards

2017-05-27 08:52:34

Hi again.
I've found something interesting, but I have no idea on how to enable this. As I wrote previously, it is so complicated so I give up. smile
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg … format=raw

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-05-27 09:16:45

I forget which version it is but there was a version of FG that was mostly accessible, but that was about 5 or 6 years ago.

HOWEVER, FG is open source, so there is nothing stopping us from making it accessible at alll now, is there? @Orrin: It's not a joke, it as several aircraft, and flight models programmed in and it has several features FSX doesn't have by default. That, and it's free, and is, as said, open source...so no reason somebody couldn't take a shot at making a version accessible realy.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-05-27 10:25:48

Well i am trying to learn programming, but for me it is hard to make something like this accessible.
But i would like to play some thing like this.

best regards

2017-05-27 11:09:13

Hi.
I dont see what you thing fsx steam edition is expensive. it costs about 25 bucks, It's your plane adodn is about 50 dollars, that's the most basic setup you can get.
Other things i use are
Accu feel, 15 dollars
Active sky next, 20 dollars
MyTraffic x, 35 dollars
PF3 ATC, 50 dollars, dont have that one yet.
You dont need all those addons, but it's a nice to have, but please keep in mind that FSX can get really system intense, so you should make sure that you have a pc with the possibility to handle that high performance programs.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-05-27 11:48:13

Well if you are 16 years old, and you have that money, you are lucky. i don't have a job yet, i am still in school.
But i am not angry at you, don't worry, Because you did not know my age.
But that sounds like an easy setup.
I have a laptop with windows 10, 8 gb ram, i5 cpu functioning at 2.0 GHZ and a 500 GB hard drive.

best regards

2017-05-27 12:01:13

hello,
so something that i've discovered about flightGear:
you must set an http server for it like this:
in its wizzard in command-line tab, type --httpd=8080
then open your web browser and go to http://localhost:8080 and then you are good to go with your screen reader
also, something else to know: you can read aircraft checklists with it

2017-05-27 13:24:27

Well, as I have earned like 100 dollars I'm happy. Unfortunatly my mommy lovely mommy don't have permition to buy anything so I need to reconsider.

73 Wj3u

2017-05-27 14:26:53

O.
that is Not To bad...

best regards

2017-05-27 15:20:26

uh yeah, fg is a joke

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-05-27 17:11:05

at least the sounds are not good, aircrafts are limited, the garbage collector written for its scripting language isnt good at all, textures and these are not good, i was using it and then after downloading fsx i didnt use it after i've installed win10, i've installed prepar3d v2 and i can say, now flightgear is not good in relation to p3d or fsx in all terms
if you download its hole scenery which is about 80 gb, then it requires more than 8 gb of memory to execute which is horrible
if you can, get p3d or x-plane, otherwise use the ways that i've told you
for fsx or p3d, you can also use multi crew experience or itsyourplane for your copilot (multicrew experience supports more airplanes and you can talk to ATC)
also, FlightGear doesnt have builtin ATC at all although in multiplayermode people can vector you, but in offline mode there are no atc available

2017-05-27 18:21:15

Hi.
When you are fully blind, MCE, doesnt really work because you for example cant auto land or auto takeopff, at leased as far as I know. I don't know how good the voice feedback is, I guess you couldn't ask it for your current Altitude AGL, airspeed and so on.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-05-27 19:09:38 (edited by visualstudio 2017-05-27 19:10:52)

i couldnt use multi crew experience's demo feature, maybe you can ask it to move the aircraft twards the ils
(about vfr flights i dont know, maybe he should be aible to make visual approaches)
but about takeoff, you will go to runways and ask it to set the trim and flaps, then you will power up your engine and it will tell you the v1 and vr and v2 speeds
after v1, you press down arrow to move yoke back, and after vr and v2 you must be in the air
after you've taken off, it will tell you "positive rate of climb" and you will say "gear up" and it will bring the landing gear up"
as far as i know, it can help you to configure fmc (dont know because i couldnt use the demo in windows 10)

2017-05-28 06:02:34

Actually, with MCE's BVI mode enabled, the yoke is automatically handled for you. Unfortunately I got up to about 2800 feet before crashing nose first into the ground, or so it'd seem. Even after attempting to adjust airspeed, it didn't help.

Now unfortunately my demo has ran it's course.

BTW, we don't have to have MCE auto-land us. If Sandy or whatever her name is, i think it's Sandy, is doing it in Flightgear and she told me she has FSX as well, and doesn't use either IYP or MCE, it can be done. And MCE is a lot less buggier than IYP is.

2017-05-28 06:22:21

Hi.
But, what is the problem with MCE that we can't use it properly currently?
And what are the advantages of MCE against IYP?
Greetings Moritz.

2017-05-28 17:53:29 (edited by Orin 2017-05-28 17:55:21)

For one, MCE is getting updated with new supported aircraft. Robert, I don't think, really cares much about IYP anymore, and it feels neglected to me.
Second, it's not a matter of we can't use it properly. IYP pretty much babies us and manages things for us automatically so we don't have to learn how it works. For example, when you apply full thrust in MCE, that's exactly what you're doing, applying full power. IYP, when I apply takeoff thrust, doesn't even come close to that.
That said, if IYP started to be updated again, I'd support it. Because I'm flying with IYP, I don't know how to stay airborne with MCE. Even after getting airborne and saying select climb power, I still manage to fall. Perhaps this is because I don't know what to set the elevator trim to, another thing IYP sets automatically. You can set the elevator trim by voice, E.G. 5 percent up or down, etc. But we have to set it, unlike IYP.

The only thing that MCE does for us automatically because they know it'd be hard for us to do it, those that don't have a joystick, is controlling the yoke and pulling it back for takeoff. Once you hit V2 and lift off, it expects you to tell it to set flaps, landing gear, etc. Because IYP slows the aircraft down to an airspeed suitable to bring the landing gear up, puts the flaps up around 2000 FT or so, and does other things behind the scenes automatically like set the elevator trim prier to takeoff, I didn't know how to set these things. Keep in mind that MCE will set these things via voice, but I selected climb power and tried to reduce my airspeed to, oh, 360 knots or so? And I fell at around 2800 FT.

I also say that it may be possible to land automatically because, when the autopilot is off, you can have MCE read the flight instruments every few seconds, making it possible to know what we're doing manually with them, provided we know how to control them with joystick/keyboard, etc, such as the nose angle etc.

So, it's not a matter of we can't use it properly. We need to learn how to use it. Ben, the MCE developer, will add things if he feels we might benefit from them. IYP with it's auto-landing capabilities has some limitations too, like having a hard time landing in a storm, for example. With IYP not getting feature updates anymore, this probably won't improve, nor will any other things be improved, like autopilot disconnecting at the wrong time for landing.

HTH and gives you some food for thought with MCE.

Edit: On a side note, MCE is cheaper than IYP at $33.00.

2017-05-29 00:02:46

I'd like to see a tutorial done for a complete flight with MCE before I drop the money and buy it.  I'd like to use it, but I'm not going to spend money on something that I may or may not be able to use.  I bought IYP based on the tutorial video, but it also was the only thing we had at the time.  Also it's amazingly well-written documentation.

2017-05-29 00:59:40

I really want to drop some money on one of these 2 programs. I have FSX hanging out in my Steam library, but I haven't messed with it too much. I have played Flight Sim 2004 with FS Navigator, which in some ways was more hands on than IYP because you had to adjust your flaps, gear and so on manually though you didn't get a lot of feedback on what they were at.

Anyway, I am incredibly hesitant to buy IYP, because of how limited the demo is, especially taking out the blind pilot mode is a bit frustrating so I'm not sure how well I could even test it. Already on that front MCE seems like a much better deal with the demo seemingly offering all features in all aircraft. I have watched a few of Orin's streams with IYP and I also looked up an MCE video up on YouTube and it does look really impressive. So I'm leaning more into investing money into MCE, and possibly FS Passengers which I have fond memories of when I played FS 2004.

If we have to do some tasks manually with MCE, like controling the angle or controlling the gear, I don't mind that personally. If anything it adds more to the experience in my opinion.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2017-05-29 03:10:40

Agreed, but with my short MCE demo, I couldn't even complete a flight sad or at least, stay up in the air to even get away from my departure.
FSNavigator is now called FSTramp, lol.

2017-05-29 04:07:28

I don't think you'll be seeing that tutorial any time soon. People who bought MCE are giving up on it too easily.
I may have to buy it just give it a fare shake.

2017-05-29 04:39:05

hello,
i could not be aible to run it under windows 10 (maybe i install a win7 vm) and make a tutorial for it