2017-05-20 23:09:54

I want to let everyone know that if you look up orbit reader20 braille display on www.aph.org you will find the price has finally been announced. A new orbit reader20 braille display will cost $449 from american printing house for the blind.

2017-05-21 06:08:16

Still waiting for a budget display that has over 20 cells. I want a bigger display right now as opposed to the braille sense onhand at 18 cells.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-05-21 08:57:10

assault_freak wrote:

Still waiting for a budget display that has over 20 cells. I want a bigger display right now as opposed to the braille sense onhand at 18 cells.

http://blitab.com
I don't know if the Blitab will actually come out this June/July, but I don't know if the Or20 will, either.
Blitab claims to be atablet-sized display for approximately the same price-range as the OR20, via the Microfluidics type of actuation. I've only heard anyone say anything about it, like, once or twice on Twitter. I don't know if it's supposed to be screen reader compatible, so I must assume it is not, since screen readers expect single-line displays.
I also notice that the description makes it sound like a dual-screen device, where the braille part and a touch-screen are both incorporated. I imagine touch-sensitivity in a screen made of what amounts to bubble-wrap is a harder engineering problem than touch-sensitivity with traditional braille displays. It's just kinda annoying that the one device for which touch-sensitivity makes the most sense goes all DS on us.

But I notice that it's still mostly unknown, in spite of their claim of over 3000 satisfied testers. And that website looks like it's marketed toward, like, parents or new TVIs. I tried looking for other hints that it might be a hoax, and didn't find anything other than someone mentioning a lack of a response to their communications (which iirc began as requesting to be a tester).

At this point, I'm not counting on anything innovative to ever go public, never mind affordable. All hail the all-mighty market -_-.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-05-21 11:45:39 (edited by magurp244 2017-05-21 11:48:06)

I'd be tempted to consider the Blitab vaporware too, there's precious little on progress and a huge amount of accolades and fluff off their site and videos. They do seem to have a physical device that is dual screen since around may 2016, with the braille portion having a metal plate with holes over top likely to protect the fluid layer. Its about the size and thickness of a textbook, with the braille portion taking 2/3rds of the top and a phone sized visual touch display taking 1/3rd on the bottom. The only thing of real substance so far is an article linked on their facebook [here] giving a 500$ price and a rough release for june/july. It mentions that it runs Googles android and that the touch screen supports the standard android/ios screen reading features.

Hmm, something in the article though seems odd though:

The startup’s online service converts text you see on the lower touch screen into Braille;

"Online Service"? That implies a network requirement for the braille display, maybe their using a separate cloud computing system to get around issues for displaying text and images on the display. Wonder what the business plan is for that.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-05-22 00:05:07

I would put more stock in orbit reader20. They at least are moving forward with it and are giving a good price and are stating it will be out soon. And I also have a money reader from orbit research called the iBill money identifier and it works very good and has for the past five or so years.

2017-05-22 10:48:49

I saw an OR20 last summer, so I know at least that it exists. I'm cynical enough at this point that I'm taking the replacing of the projected release date with the price as a realization that they can't keep pushing it back two months every two months and expect to retain credibility.
But if I'm wrong and it's really coming out in the next 60 days, I will not complain. They could probably gain a lot by launching it at NFB 2017, or some such summer convention. If NFB 2017 comes and goes with it still not ready, ... hmm. Actually, they have a captive market. No matter how much credibility is lost by repeated missed deadlines, they still have no competition in this price range. If Blitab and OR20 are both genuine, though, then it starts to matter.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-05-22 23:33:53

here is the latest news about the orbit reader20. I just received this news today. its pasted below.

Good morning,

As a new Orbit Research LLC team member, I wanted to chime in to provide a
quick update on Orbit Reader 20. I will touch base on the issues of price,
availability, distribution, warranty and carrying cases.

APH has established a $449.00 retail price for the US customers. CNIB¹s
retail price for the Canadian market is 499.00 Canadian dollars. Orbit
Reader 20 comes with a charger, cable and a SD card. Each member of the
Transforming Braille Group Consortium, a funding and product-distributing
partner of the Orbit Research LLC., will establish its own
country-specific retail price for the Orbit Reader 20. Orbit Research is
ramping up the production and the device will be available soon once the
minimum inventory requirement is reached. We are currently in a process of
setting up additional distribution channels throughout the world to ensure
that the world blind community will have access to the Orbit Reader 20.
The device has a one-year comprehensive manufacturer warranty. Additional
warranty could be purchased. I will provide price details a bit later. A
synthetic padded carrying case is available currently and the leather one
is being developed. Below is my contact information, feel free to ping me
if you have questions. I am looking forward to getting your feedback on
the Orbit Reader 20 experience once you use it.

Warm regards,

Igor Feinberg
Cell: 781-799-2971
www.orbitresearch.com