I'd like to develop games without running Windows. More generally, I can think of several uses for Wine. How do I make programs running under Wine talk? For example if at the terminal I type
wine bgt_english_installer.exe
it opens what I presume to be the setup wizard but I can't hear it.

Thumbs up

hlong story short, you can't. its not accessible

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

Thumbs up

actually, this might be possible. I could be wrong, just a theory of mine. Basically, if you get an existing bgt.exe file from an existing installation and copy exec.bin, you might be able to run code using the commandline options.

You can follow me on twitter @cartertemm

Thumbs up

You can install it. Open the installer, press alt n three times then alt I, wait a while and alt F... That's it!

Raduvay se, raduvay
Raduvay se domaki ne
Kolko liste po gorach
Tolko zdrave na taz kyshcha

Thumbs up

i don't really know why you'd install this. its not as if you'd be coding in it.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

Thumbs up

And no, this isn't exactly possible. Due to BGT's constant use of GUI windows instead of the CLI like most compilers and interpreters do, and it's heavy reliance on windows-only features... your luck even getting it to work is extremely minimal at best.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.

Thumbs up

I actually did get Adventure at C: working as an experiment back in the day, but I used bottles from winetricks. I forget which ones I used, sadly; games can be made to run, though. And adding in SAPI might make them speak.

Thumbs up