2017-05-31 15:14:34

Let's compare like for like, shall we? Apache is a sponsored project.

But yes, point very well taken. I love FLOSS--use it all the time on servers--but I understand the reluctance of companies to use something for which they feel their is inadequate support. FLOSS projects should be sponsored financially, and thereby have the backing required for their authors to carry on carrying on, without endangering the project.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-05-31 22:42:59

I still wish there was an accessible way to change BIOS settings. BIOS is loaded before anything else though, so no screen reader is going to be able to do that to my knowledge.

Does Narrator work in safe mode yet? Or is that the recovery thing I keep hearing about? I remember Window Eyes started working in safe mode some time ago.

2017-05-31 23:27:20

Draq, bios may never be made completely accessible. It is as low-level as a computer gets, the literal firmware inside the machine. The only way this could happen is if they actually made sound support, or had beeps from pc speakers along with menu guides to follow. That would have to be done for every model, and that would be near impossible. It's not quite like android custom recoveries, because bios is never even open source.

2017-06-01 15:47:55

It might actually be possible, if you consider that out-of-band remote management technology is useful to corporations. You could imagine your firmware having an interface over the network you could control with another computer or app. That would certainly be an improvement over the nothing we have now (it's actually still one of the best features of the Mac, that the firmware interface is very limited and basically amounts to the boot screen, which is a big reason for me to keep them). Intel's AMT, aside from the potential vulnerabilities, could be a starting point for us, but is generally only found in professional workstation models and servers rather than typical consumer gear.

Just myself, as usual.