2017-05-10 14:14:23 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2017-05-10 14:15:16)

Ad Liberum is an upcoming multiplayer text game engine:

http://press.adliberum.com/

It is built using HTML5 canvas with its own focus handling system which makes screenreader support pretty difficult, Liam the developer is keen though and is looking into ren'py style self voicing as a more straightforward way of getting the output to be blind accessible. He has just posted a work in progress example:

https://twitter.com/liamtwose/status/862278322604187648

2017-05-10 23:28:31

Thanks Ian, it was great to chat earlier regards making it more accessible earlier and thanks again for posting, speech synthesis is now integrated with the latest build if anyone would like to try it out for themselves. The command to turn speech synthesis is speech on and speech off to turn it off.

The font size can also be increased or decreased by scrolling the mouse wheel. Holding the Right mouse button controls the yellow wrapper bar (currently wraps to character, but will soon wrap by word also).

I will be adding voice recognition next.

https://www.adliberum.com/engine

2017-05-11 01:02:42

Hi.
How to that after clicking the link above I am typing speech on and after pressing enter I dont hear any speech.
I hear only clicking sound when I am moving the cursor or pressing any key.
How to use this engine
It looks like interesting.

2017-05-11 07:54:44 (edited by liamt 2017-05-11 07:56:52)

Hi. Thank you. It requires a compatible browser. Chrome or Firefox both support synth. I will add a message to say if its not compatible. Thanks for highlighting that smile

There is a manual to help use the engine: download it here - it has alot of the commands you can use.

For example.

.creative
build box
box can be opened
box is closed
box is lockable
box is locked
box is immovable
box requires key

build key.obj
The .obj on the end creates an object that can be taken as the class .obj is predefined as takeable

You can also edit rooms by:
room name is Dungeon
room description is A dingy, reeking dungeon.
room is dark

Hope this helps. big_smile

2017-05-11 10:17:24

but I have a latest version of firefox so it should be compatible I think so.

2017-05-11 12:36:04

Me to.
I have the latest version of firefox and I get the message my browser does not suport html 5.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-05-11 13:10:53

Odd. Never had any issues with firefox.

I will create an exportable app version for you to test instead later this evening. It comes packed with its own version of Chrome so should work depending on what operating system / computer type you have.

2017-05-11 15:59:46

I am waiting, it can be amazing

2017-05-11 16:40:28

Yes, but I really want to test it with firefox because it is beter.

2017-05-11 17:07:06

Ok. uploaded the latest build of adlengine for download at the links below. smile hopefully this will work..

> Linux 32
> Linux 64
> MacosX
> Windows 32
> Windows 64

Will see what I can find out about firefox..

2017-05-11 19:08:16

Hi.
I downloaded but now how to use this app?

2017-05-11 21:34:26

I also want to know what to use this.
I am launching this app and typing speech on after running this program, but I dont hear any speech

2017-05-11 23:14:36

Is there a building guide somewhere or something?
This looks cool; a bit like inform 7.

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2017-05-11 23:23:34

Sorry for the double post, but there seem to be some really weird things going on with key priorities -- the program's own input seems to be stopping things like alt d and alt f from passing through as commands to go to the address bar or open the browser menu. I'm not sure if this is even a screen reader problem, but if it isn't, then that's...pretty problematic. Also can you please please make a speech interrupt command? Definitely going to be messing around with this thing some more and watching out for new stuff on this thread, though.

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2017-05-12 00:15:30 (edited by liamt 2017-05-12 00:18:35)

You can download / read the guide at -> download adlengine manual <- . Will have to do more research into screen readers. They both fight for input access. Are you able to disable screen reader keys?

Will double check if speech synthesis runs in node web kit.

I will also look into how I can send messages / calls to screen readers, but this will be a lot trickier! Thanks for trying it so far.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to get it working for you all. A few ideas to check for example bringing a text input box into focus.

Will keep you all updated.

2017-05-12 00:16:50

Will add a pause speech option. Will tag it to the pause text key which is on Pause / BRK key.

2017-05-12 12:18:51

just tried it in firefox 53.0.2 (32-bit) speech synthesis works fine. I have added pause / play commands to control speech playback.

Make sure to force refresh (a few times) if trying it again to ensure it loads the latest version..

https://www.adliberum.com/engine
adlengine will steel focus for the keyboard, so you will need to select the ulr address bar to press F5, ctrl + F5 works best for refreshing.

2017-05-12 12:44:02

it is trange because I am typing after running this engine speech on and after pressing enter I dont hear any speech.
How to activate speech

2017-05-12 12:47:08

It is very odd.

Few questions:
1. What system are you running it on?
2. What version of firefox?
3. do you have a screen reader active (also)?
4. anything else you can provide?

2017-05-12 12:53:25

I am using windows 10 x64 firefox 53.02.
screen reader is active.
I have tried to run speech with stadalone application.

2017-05-12 12:55:45

are you able to disable the screen reader (at all) and try again? PLUS try the website version again at https://www.adliberum.com/engine - you will need to refresh a few times to update to latest version.

2017-05-12 13:12:28

Hi.
It works now I have to wait untill this engine will be loaded, amazing.
Now it is time to write mi first simpe game

2017-05-12 13:25:08

big_smile glad to hear you got it working, let me know if you need any help with commands for editing.

.creative enables world editing.
dl downloads your current map to a .adlengine file which you can then share.

To host your own game you need to download the engine web files on itch.io at https://liamtwose.itch.io/adlengine

The engine will look for a game.adlengine file, if it finds it, it will load it automatically on launch otherwise it will load the demo.

Other way to import is to move the mouse to the bottom left and use the file chooser.

To change room image move the mouse to the bottom right and use the file chooser (web hosted only).

2017-05-12 13:33:33

It is very hard for us to use mouse so first way is the most accessible for us.
I have a question, do you have any example game writen in this engine I want to try how that game will works with speech

2017-05-12 13:46:29 (edited by liamt 2017-05-12 13:50:14)

Soul Keeper wrote:

Sorry for the double post, but there seem to be some really weird things going on with key priorities -- the program's own input seems to be stopping things like alt d and alt f from passing through as commands to go to the address bar or open the browser menu. I'm not sure if this is even a screen reader problem, but if it isn't, then that's...pretty problematic. Also can you please please make a speech interrupt command? Definitely going to be messing around with this thing some more and watching out for new stuff on this thread, though.

are you able to try again. what happens is when I create a key press event for a particular combination, it takes over from the browser control.

I have specified that keypresses for typing commands must not include the ALT key and have tested ALT + D, which now allows access to the browser menu bar once more. smile

PLUS you can now control the speech playback using pause / play. It will pause after the current speech in queue has finished.