2008-05-10 22:45:00

I downloaded the descent into madness game a few weeks a go and after lotts of attempts I finally managed to crach the speaker sound ppuzzel!  Completeing the game wasnt easy, and once you start playing it it becomes adictive.  It's been my favourite game so far.  Can anyone tell me if there are anymore experimental games like Descent into Madness?  I had a go at another game by the same developer called Sonic Zoom but wasn't impressed at all.  I found it a lot more tricky to get around, and it was more a drive game than having to solve puzzels an make your way through a haunted house.  What do other gamers think of it?

out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

2008-07-04 02:55:41

Chilling Ham is kind of like Descent.How do you go back to the Main Menu in the middle of a Descent Into Madness game?    Sha

2008-07-04 04:56:41

When this part of the forum is called "experimental games" it mneans for a particular set of experimental games, I don't recall Descent into Madness being one of them. Moving this to the general area where you'll get more visibility, there will be a redirect link in the experimental games section still.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-02-19 23:13:43

I just got this downloaded but when I run it it just says there was an error. Here is what shows up in the errer log...

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Main.py", line 1224, in ?
  File "pyTTS\__init__.pyo", line 25, in Create
  File "pyTTS\sapi.pyo", line 200, in __init__
  File "pyTTS\sapi.pyo", line 57, in __init__
  File "win32com\gen_py\C866CA3A-32F7-11D2-9602-00C04F8EE628x0x5x0.pyo", line 2613, in GetVoices
  File "win32com\client\__init__.pyo", line 446, in _ApplyTypes_
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None, None, None, 0, -2147200967), None)
  File "Main.py", line 1224, in ?
  File "pyTTS\__init__.pyo", line 25, in Create
  File "pyTTS\sapi.pyo", line 200, in __init__
  File "pyTTS\sapi.pyo", line 57, in __init__
  File "win32com\gen_py\C866CA3A-32F7-11D2-9602-00C04F8EE628x0x5x0.pyo", line 2613, in GetVoices
  File "win32com\client\__init__.pyo", line 446, in _ApplyTypes_
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None, None, None, 0, -2147200967), None)

So I have no idea, Running on Vista in XP compatibility mode didn't help either...

I want to play this SO bad. I heard a little of the walkthrough so any help would be great,

Also any other good horror games or puzzle ones like this? I tried Shades Of Doom, creepy that one...

Thanks in advance.

2011-02-20 01:14:53

Hi.

Descent into madness is sadly a rather unique game, I believe the developers were working on a game engine but I'm not sure if it got finished.

probably the error you got is somethng to do with vista compatibility sinse the game wasn't made when vista came out, and really your best contacting the devs.

As to other horror games, well descent into madness is one of the very few puzle games of that type, ie, with choices and objects etc , the others being private detective school, time adventures one and chillingham, (chillingham I certainly wouldn't class as a horror, more a sort of off beat semi comedy with some horror themes like vampires and wearwolves).

As for more games with a horror atmosphere, well Shades is the first that springs to mind. Sarah, while not actually horror does have a creepy castle, lots of 3d puzles and some great ambience especially if your a harry potter fan.

Bits of terraformers can be wonderfuly atmospheric too, and technoshock has similar sounds and gameplay to shades, ---- though is much harder and doesn't have some of the same options for looking around etc.

Lastly, you might considder extant, which is an experimental game thus far, but will deffinately have a horror theme. You can already play a demo where you go around shooting at some truly evil sounding monsters with a gun, and he full version will apparently feature more of a story mode.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-02-20 15:36:55

I thought some would be interested to know that I was one of the original ones to work on the games from "Sounds Like Fun," and in fact knew Gary and his students for quite some time. However, after a recent move away from the area where they're based, I lost contact with them. So, I can tell you there were many projects in the works which included a braille twister game, a basic question and answer one, and even a dodgeball game that would utilize cameras to judge a players position in a room.  How many were completed? I really don't know.
As for the error, check your SAPI settings. It's been quite a while since I worked with Python, so I really couldn't give specifics as to why it can't create that object. For my own curiosity, as I'm sure others share, are you running a 64-bit version of Vista? That might have something to do with it, as I've been having a few of the same problems under 7 64-bit.

2011-02-20 21:17:07

I cant pass the piano room!

2011-02-20 22:48:22

Hi,
Try examining everything--there's something in that room that will help you quite a bit if you use it.
(and no, I obviously am not talking about the piano)

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-02-21 12:52:34

I'm stil sorry they never finished the engine which descent into madness was going to run on, it struck me as a great idea for a game creation system.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-02-21 14:06:07

Off topic, haden, can you check your private messages? I have emailed you, but you did not check your email or did not answer

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-02-21 14:51:38

Hi,
Sorry...I'll check it; I've been, shall we say, behind on my messages lately.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-02-22 16:12:14

but what's the notes on there?

2011-02-23 20:54:58

I really wished there would have been development tools for DiM. It would have been a great platform for non-programmers like myself to make games.

Cheers,

2011-02-25 01:38:17

hi fatih. The note on the piano room is c,e, and g.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2011-03-10 15:47:44

thanks!

2012-05-09 15:06:59

hi, gamers.
my name is shalva.
i have a descent into madness on my computer, but it's doesn't work. i downloaded the game, and found a zip file in the program files. i extracted it, but the game doesn't working. how can i solve this problem? please help me sombody.
shalva.

kamochek.

2012-05-10 01:36:23

Hi Shalva and welcome.

Perhaps a little more information about the trouble your having might help. For instance, you mention the game not working, in what way not working? Does it give an error? or is there a problem with the sounds?

The save function doesn't work at all, which is an error in the game and means you need to play the hole thing through, so if that is the thing that's not working I'm afraid we can't help.

The game has a propper installer, so you shouldn't be unzipping anything to get it to run, just download it, follow the instructions in the setup program and the game should be installed and ready to run.

What version of windows are you running? as said above, the game was meant for xp, so you might need to mess around to get it to run on a windows 7 or vista machine, indeed you might need to install to a different location than the default program files, but sinse I still have xp myself I'm not exactly sure on that one and will let someone who has one of those later versions of windows discuss it.

Hopefully we can work around the problem and get the game running, just give a clearer idea of what exactly the problem your having is.

Other than that, hope you have fun on the forum.

2012-05-10 18:25:34

hi gamers.
the game doesn't work when i starting it. i pressing enter, but nothing hapens. the program isn't open. i downloaded the game, opend the setup, pressed next, then again pressed next, then pressed next again, then press on install. after that, i pressed finish. when i opend the game, it's told me to see the log file. i found in the program files descent.exe.txt. then there was the fllowing information:
  File "Main.py", line 26, in ?
  File "pygame\__init__.pyo", line 64, in ?
  File "pygame\base.pyo", line 9, in ?
  File "pygame\base.pyo", line 7, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The parameter is incorrect.
then, in the lib folder i found a file sharedlib.zip, then i extracted it, then opend the game, it doesn't work.
and i have windows7. what i need to do to get the game work?
and thank you for the last reply.
shalva

kamochek.

2012-05-10 23:26:18

Hi.

I believe this is a windows 7 problem, however I'm not sure how to fix it, or indeed whether it is fixable sinse the game was never intended to run on windows 7.

You could try installing the winkit program from www.kitchinsinc.net. This installs the menue for running Jim kitchin's games, but also several of the dependencies needed for running older games, though this might not work on descent into madness sinse it was written in Python.

Other than that I'm not sure, and you probably need advice from someone who uses windows 7, which unfortunately i don't have.

2012-05-11 13:06:54

hi, gamers.
today i tryed to opne the open the game with xp mode and vista, but it doesn't work. how the gamers can open this game? if they do it with windwos 7, tell me how he can to do.
if sombody remeber the recorded walkthrow of the game, how the game worked on he's computer?
shalva

kamochek.

2012-07-24 18:17:12

hey guys.
i've got an idea. i have chillingham. i can create a mod for it, take the sounds from descent into madness and put them in the chillingham folder. i know only to change the sounds, but how to programing this mod i don't know. i wannathis mod will upgrade the chillingham to descent into madness. i wanna the all game will be like a game. if any one think it is a good idea, plese help to create this mod.
shalva

kamochek.

2012-07-25 11:28:12

I'm not sure. It might be possible to replace chillinghams' sounds, but it's the programming that matters, and the layout and puzles in both games are utterly different.

Sinse chillingham is or was a commercial game, you can't deprogram it, indeed it'd probably be easier to create a similar game yourself with bgt than trying to hack an existing game, even if that was possible.

I'd suggest that if the xp mode doesn't work you look at running a virtual xp install instead, if you really want to play Desent into madness.

2012-07-26 04:31:53

hi.
i have another idea and 1 question:
the question: what is horror game?
and idea: i don't know programing but still i want to do this. i will need some help from any one. i want to do the descent into madness with the puzles from the originaly game, take the sounds from the game, but a programing will beother. it will be with no python requiment, with no pysonick, and if any 1 can help me, i want to this game (my program of the game) will work on windows7. if any one thinking what is a good idea, plese help me to create this game with other programing.
shalva

kamochek.

2012-07-26 08:49:16

hi, gamers.
plese, give me any one a list of the all audio adventure games. the adventure games, is the games wich i searching for.
shalva

kamochek.

2012-07-27 14:08:16

Hi.

If you look on the front of sight there is a "search archive" link, where you can see what games are in the audiogames.net db of a particular genre.

of the top of my head, only Descent into madness, chillingham, graizly gulch, time adventures and private detecitve school have the sort of use object with object type interface, but there are a good many more games in the adventure genre with different interfaces such as the first person game Sarah from pcs, Kirt wolf and terraformers, plus several others.

As to remaking descent with Bgt, I'm not really sure there is much point there myself, sinse if you run virtual xp the game is still playable, and wy should people who can already play the game want another copy?

I'd suggest perhaps if you want to make a game with Bgt, you reccord some different story and puzzles instead, sinse then it will be a new game for everyone to play, not just the same thing again.