2017-05-23 19:57:53

Wow, some jerk has lined a bunch of uncharted sectors with nulspace minefields,, even when they're completely empty. Also, how can I interact with npc ships? (I have been to several sectors where it says there is a ship in the distance, it is sill, or something to that effect.) Scanning them says there are no player ships in the sector.
Out of curiosity, what does the precious resource represent? The others make sense, but precious...how do you quantify that? I ask because I'm wondering what the best places for mining it are? I could look for metal based planets or asteroid fields for metal, organic clouds for organic, chemical planets for chemical, and stars for energy, but what do I look for with precious?

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2017-05-24 01:39:41

Sorry for the double post, but is there an article somewhere that has the activities associated with different skills?

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2017-05-24 08:57:29

Hi Soul Keeper,

Yes, the minefields are annoying, we have a moderator heading there now to see if he can dismantle them.

You should be able to both scan and attack NPC ships, it may be that the ship left, but if you feel its a bug certainly create a ticket.

Precious resources on the most part represent gems and exotic metals but can be found in nearly all sectors (with the exclusions being really poor resource sectors such as barren planets or brown dwarf stars) as a random drop when mining. All of the sectors you have described would have a chance of precious resources being mined. They are described in game in the following ways

"Everywhere you look precious materials shine back at you; rare metals, exotic gems, diamonds - this should net you a tidy sum."
"As the dim lights illuminate your cargo bay reflections of gold and silver bounce of the bulkheads. Everywhere you look you have stacks of precious resources."

Also, it's worth noting that all resources have a chance of being more valuable such as containing lifeforms, veins of valuable metal or strange chemicals - but only the merchant you sell it to can determine this and will notify you and reward you upon discovery.

In terms of skills, much like the rest of the game we want to players to try and figure out the best tactics and approaches but generally speaking performing the tasks related to the skill will increase it, so continue mining to improve you mining skill, discover new sectors to improve your explorer skill for example. You can also purchase books in the areas you are interested in too and hope your character shares the same mindset.

I hope this helps.

2017-05-24 09:49:04

hi,

what is the currant skillset? that information doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

2017-05-24 10:07:36

Hi Darren,

Skills are grouped into roles, the broad roles are:

Trader
Miner
Freelancer
Vigilante
Craftsman
Explorer
Conqueror
Colonist
Entrepreneur
Engineer
Fighter
Demolitions
Commander
Anarchist
Marksman
Strategist

It must be noted we track lots of individuals skills and statistics so this list is likely to grow over time, you'll also notice that some of these roles may not be applicable just yet while we are in the Alpha.

2017-05-24 14:20:19

Just over 75% to completing phase one of  project build-a-base (acquire an engineer ship). Once the base is functioning, I want to get a merchant station or something up, and then try and start some recruitment. how do players typically go about recruiting to their faction? Are there message boards, public advertisement things, etc? I found an awesome planet too, I hope no one takes it before I can build on and claim it. Also yeah, books are nice, I've been buying all the ones I can, so that hopefully something sticks with the character (73/76 books, currently). Are the seven wonders of the universe located in fixed places, or do you just find  them while randomly exploring?

2017-05-24 14:24:33

Hi Soul Keeper, sounds like you are making good progress.

You can find factions by searching by name or distance, we also plan to have the facility to be able to may some credits to have your faction as a 'promoted' faction, which will also allow you to define a message about what you are looking for from people.

The wonders are a mix of both, some are fixed, some are randomly discovered while exploring, and being only 7 is just a coincidence as that's just how many have been drawn. We plan to add more as we go along.

2017-05-24 14:43:17 (edited by Soul Keeper 2017-05-24 14:46:03)

Nods, was wondering about that, haha. Something I feel would make these minefields a lot less of a spamming/trolling hazard while still having them do what they're supposed to is maybe if they only activate when the faction in question is hostile towards you (if that can be determined somehow). That resource thing sounds interesting, I love the amount of cool random little things there are in this game, like all the different sector types, planets, stars, resource variations, etc.

2017-05-27 19:20:00

Been kind of sitting here for about a day, waiting for an engineer ship to load...this sucks. Also, ,why aren't structures navigation menus shown in the same behind you -> location -> right of you format as other things are? I was trying to get to a shipwright which seemed to be 4 lys away from another, only to find out that I'd actually been sitting in a sector 89 sectors away from one and 93 from the other (in the opposite direction). Kind of annoying, especially since this thing is literally in the middle of nowhere, so I hope I can get an engineer before I need to find resources, but whatever. Any way this could get added/fixed easily?

2017-05-27 22:24:33

Hi Soul Keeper, sorry to hear you've been waiting so long for an engineer. Indeed we are working on special requisitions where a player can request something specific that is not in stock for a fee. We also have some new ships coming, which we have marked as 'coming soon' here: https://textspaced.zendesk.com/hc/en-us … 3609-Ships

In terms of the FTL menu, the 'near by' option should be the only one that shows your relative position, the other menus should order from best to worst or near to far. For example the mining menu will show the best place to mine in the local area first, the structures menu should show the closest place first.

I hope this helps.

2017-05-28 00:00:50

Why have menus show from best to worst in terms of flat distance, Though? As it is currently, only by using the nearby navigation method do I even know what direction I'm traveling in. I think by having all menus have the behind you, ahead of you thing it'd be easier to compare distances and plan stuff out. Unless there's another way of checking what direction you're traveling in I'm not aware of?

2017-05-28 01:33:57

what about the ability to sort the information?

2017-05-28 09:44:57

Hi Soul Keeper,

I guess if you are interested in the direction you are heading than this is only represented in either the frontier or near by menus. If we changed it so that the LYs had a prefix of plus or minus depending if you were heading away from the centre or closer would this solve the issue?

2017-05-28 15:57:40

yes, that'd be super amazing.

2017-05-28 18:04:00

Hi Soul Keeper,

A patch should now be live that does what was discussed within the FTL menu. We will roll it out to other menus in the normal release cycle.

I hope that helps.

2017-05-28 20:19:35

That's really awesome, thank you.

IN other news, I'm off to build my base (14 hours for 17 light years -- wow, Then sell large amounts of cargo and buy a mining platform, and hopefully this insanely slow ship won't have to navigate as much.

Anyone want to join my faction?

2017-06-06 17:43:01

hi. I have discovered a nasty bug that might end up killing me right now rofl. I was attacked by some transgov ships while I was travelling and though i am in battle the battle menu doesn't appear, only the menu that appears when you travel. This prevents me from using my speciality and setting the required action. I hope this can be fixed as soon as possible. preferably before I die big_smile

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2017-06-06 18:40:52

Hi guys,

With the latest Messenger update the menu options are now being read out by voice over for iOS. Unfornately lists are still not being read out so I’ll keep pushing them about this.

2017-06-06 23:51:17

hi textspaced,

what about doing the same thing with the lists etc as you've done with the menu's so to make it work?

also can we have some proper trading please? as in being able to trade in comodities?

2017-06-07 09:38:15

hi. what materials do I need for crafting weapons? I've bought a weapon crafting module but I don't see anywhere the requirements.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2017-06-07 09:41:22

Hi Darren,

The lists hold more information than the menus so unfortunately this wouldn’t work, in terms of commodities what are you thinking you’d like to trade?

In terms of weapon crafting this is something that is getting slowly phased in and you will begin to discover parts and be able to buy parts over this coming week and next.

2017-06-07 12:37:08

well anything really. as well as mining resources for example why not be able to trade them? if somewhere has a surplus of resources then wouldn't it make sense for that place to sell them and benefit from the money by doing so? that would also benefit traders etc?

2017-06-07 15:10:34

Hi Darren,

Player to player trading of resources is possible by using the 'Create Trade' option under the 'Cargo' menu, you can trade resources with other players in the same sector. Are you saying as well as being able to sell resources at a merchant station for credits you would like to be able to sell resources to other players for credits (instead of an exchange)?

2017-06-07 22:33:30

well at the moment I don't really see the use for the trading skill. I mean it doesn't seem to have any real direct benefits. maybe the ability to buy resources off of players and stations planets etc and sell them elsewhere would go some way to fulfilling a good use for that skill. perhaps with a combination of negotiation you could even set up a bargaining system. depending on your trading skill and perhaps standing with a particular faction?

2017-06-08 11:28:48

Hi Darren,

Indeed the trading skill is only used to effect selling ports, parts and player to player trading. You'll notice once your trading skill is high enough you will barter better prices when selling ports and get better deals with player trading. But we can certainly look into other ways the trading skill can effect gameplay and what commodities could be added, however with the addition of weapon crafting coming that involves parts this could add a dimension you are looking for.