2017-04-24 12:59:43

Simple question.

What are the must have packages for Ubuntu Mate 16.04? I've been looking up lists and not found too many that leap out and scream DOWNLOAD THIS ONE!!!!!!!111

So, what do you guys suggest I add to my install, given I've got the default stuff for 16.04 on my machine?

Also, why is wiping a disk so freaking nerve wracking huh? I mean, dual boot installs were nervous enough, but wiping the disk, even in a VM before I did it for real, still scary even knowing it's a VM and I can just make another one.

Anyhow. Must have apps. Suggest away.

Also, must have audiogames.

Also, finally, does ORCA work with Dosbox and are there plans to bring talking DOSBOX to Linux any time soon?

And to ensure this won't get moved, can I simply install an MP3 addon ot get my audiobooks working, I know i can just get Chrome to do Youtube and stuff, but I'd prefer it all in one browser, hence I would like Flash and such in FF really.
Additionally, I'm not sure how well Skype works, can I find a program that lets me call/message my Skype contacts and stuff without actually using Skype?

I should clarify, hotmail and outlook contacts, I mean....I just don't like the idea of Skype on Linux but it's the main way I keep up with certain people

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-04-24 13:15:42

For me, any Linux machine isn't complete without Emacs, with Emacspeak of course. There's also Voxin, if you want Eloquence. Youtube-dl is also great, and there's a GTK-youtube-viewer if you want to watch the vids without downloading them.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2017-04-24 15:30:56

if you have hangouts, shoot me a message at [email protected] and we can try to get dosbox runnin.

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

2017-05-04 07:48:53

@Devinprater How did you get Emacspeak to work properly? I tried to make servers/linux-outloud, but it barfs when I try to do it. Also, how about up to date manuals on how to use the software?

2017-05-04 07:50:22

Also, my go to apps are:
Tintin for playing muds.
Chromium+Chromevox for web browsing
Nano (for now) for text editing
Thunderbird for emails
Audacity for sound recording and manipulation.
VLC as an audio workhorse.
Mopidy for my music server.