2017-04-23 17:05:28

Hi, folks.

Suppose that I'm a newcomer who's got blind recently and know nothing at all about audiogames, except that they exist and can be played without vision; never even heard about any titles, old or new.

Now, what would be your recommendations? It can be old games, new games, free games, paid games, browser games, PC games, iOS games, the only restriction is: I want only the good ones, not the average, definetly not the boring ones, just the golden stuff.

Show me what you know.

2017-04-23 17:57:34

Well, we can start with SBYW, or scrolling battles you're world. what it is it's a multiplayer exploration game. If your a fighter, this is not for you. I feel like it will be a good place  to start, though it requires quite a bit of attention on your end.  The topic, along with the link, can be found in the new releases room. one of my first audio games  ever, was top speed three. you can find it  in the database, or on the audio games archive, www.agarchive.net
under  playing in the dark  category in the developers list. TS3 is a racing game. though easy to learn, it is not so easy to master.

Another game is mud splat. It's pretty easy to learn,  and it introduced me to sidescroller style.

If you want a  slightly harder challenging game, try super Liam. www.l-works.net
Super Liam  was hard for me, partly because I haven't played much of audio games, and partly because of the level design. L-works has a couple  of games on their site, most of them are quite easy to learn. I suggest you to look around and see what you can find.

2017-04-23 19:14:18

If you want the golden stuff, Papasangre II, on ios is one of the best games you can try. It's not easy, but not too hard. Sound design, voice acting, and the plot are unique in there quality. The one problem: it's been pulled from the appstore if I remember correctly, so it's hard to get. Palace punch up is also pritty interesting, has many difficulty levels so you can play at your own level, and has good sound effects and manual. I second topspeed as well, for it's simple but addictive gameplay.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-04-23 23:43:41

If you are on Windows, get the talking DOSBOX and follow the setup guides.

And quite probably get addicted to Eamon Deluxe.

Actually most of the stuff in that is pretty decent and a good place to start for a newbie.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-04-24 21:42:42 (edited by Guitarman 2017-04-24 21:53:17)

Hi Vcaparica.
Okay only the good stuff huh? First check out aprone's games . Try out all aprone's games but especially swamp . You definitely don't want to miss that. Check all games in the database here you will like most of the games you find there.
Try the games here
And definitely check out entombed here !
Go to here .
Well that should keep you busy for a while. I'll add more later.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-04-24 22:04:41

magic blocks is a must have. its an audio version of tetris, which means it is not a difficult game for somebody totally blind to pick up for the first time

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2017-04-24 22:51:16

First of all, thanks a lot, guys, I'm taking note of everything, tonight I'll start downloading and trying some of them. Keep shooting, there ain't such a thing as too many games to play.

I was wondering if, for both practical and playful reasons, people would prefer sending their Top 10 best audiogames of all times, what do you think?

2017-04-25 04:38:01

Top 10? BK 3, Crazy party, shadow line, Manamon, Beatstar, Swamp, alter aeon, and can't  Think of anymore right now, sorry.

2017-04-25 12:40:05

Top 10 you say?

Alright: In no order:

Talking DOSBox (on the forums), it gives you a lot of accessible and fun DOS games in  ascreenreader ready DOSBOX that is both free, and (fairly) easy to set up and run.

Crazy Party

Paladin Of The Skies if you're into turn based RPG gaming

Terraformers, it's on the audiogames.net site, freeware and works very well with it voicing itself. Plus it's a (for the time) great production and never entirely too frustrating
Castaways: Small scale town builder that is fun until you work out the optimal strategy for each level

Lunimals. If you want to go crazy figuring out a game....here you go

Eamon Deluxe (in the talking DOSBox package), is fun and addictive.

Park Boss, take RC2/Theme Park and put it on a grid, and give it a learning curve.

Top Speed 3. A lightweight competent racing game that lets you make your own cars and tracks to race on or with too. Consider that mainstream racers struggle with this yet TS3 has it out of the box

And finally....

3D Velocity Open Source. Full fledged 3D combat flight sim. It happens to be kind of awesome, really.

Hope those help, those are my suggestionns.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-04-25 15:13:15

Just about everything from Aprone and Nyanchan, and I feel positively about VGStorm.com.
Daytona and the Book of Gold makes use of complex mouse/trackpad gestures. Lunimals is a nifty ecosystem simulator of sorts, with a plot involving raising mice on the moon. Castaways is something of a civilization sim. Swamp is a Zombie FPS which has evolved so much I don't remember if we're on one of the more awesome or more frustrating versions at the moment tongue. Temporal is a time-travel strategy game which I personally consider badly underrated.
All three Bokurano Daibouken games are worth it, IMO, although you can see clear progression in development style from one game to the next. (I mean, when BK1 first came out, most English-speaking players got too confused by the layout of the house to make it outside, while BK3 is successful enough to have an on-going translation effort.) These are in Japanese by default, so you'd either need a Japanese TTS and knowledge of the language, or NVDA with Ian Reed's JGT addon. (You can put the tutorial and some menus in English for BK2, and you can buy a (still incomplete, IIRC?) Translation dictionary for BK3.)

And Manamon is Manamon.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-04-26 16:22:23

Alright, some cool stuff listed above.

I tried Swamp, Paladin of the Sky, Castaways, Top Speed 3 and Manamon. Swamp is, for me, the best one by far, although I was never really a big FPS fan. Manamon is cool, but I preferred Paladin of the Sky, if it had Manamon's sound quality it would be awesome. Top Speed, hm, nice game, but I felt like it could use an update with new gameplay and better sound. Castaways kinda bored me.

Ah, I also tried Crazy Party, the card game seems cool, but I really miss some tutorial on how to create and use good decks to beat the first gym.

I'll try more. Keep sending your Top 10's, please, and thanks a lot.

2017-04-27 15:24:01

Hi vcaparica.

One question I'd ask is what are you interested in in terms of genre?
If you haven't done so already, You might like to see this page which gives an explanation of the different genres of games we have, or at least the ones we use to catagorize games in the database anyway.

Rpg wise, we have paladin of the skies and manamon as you've tried, also entombed.
There are then many mmorpgs available that you can play in a web browser using your screen reader, and many good muds which are real time online games with text, though many have sounds.
there are the older dos rpgs like eamon deluxe and the japanese games like bokerano debuken though setting those up could be interesting.

Arcade wise there a huge selection from basic left right sterrioo targeting affairs like judgement day or troopanum 2, to more complex things like the adventure mode in crazy party, or the esp pinball games.
We then have a few racing sports and vehicle sim titles such as top speed and lone wolf, some stratogy games like castaways and parkboss, rythm action games like rhythm rage and beatstar, and even some sports games.

Actually at the moment the database has over 600 games in it and there are more to add, so asking for random recommendations is a tall order.

nevertheless is my personal cross section of if not quite top ten games, at least landmark games I've personally enjoyed in various catagories:

For fps swamp and shades of doom.
Shades is a classic and where I started which is likely why I enjoy it so much, though it perhaps is a lbit bare bones as compared to some later offerings, still definitely worth a play for history and atmosphere.

For stratogy games King of dragon pass on Ios, which is one part rpg, one part startogy and one part story and absolutely a must play.
I'd also recommend A dark room and it's sequel the ensign if you like rpgs, and the smugglers seriesfor pc , especially smugglers 5 if you enjoy turn based spaceship stratogy in a single player game.

for browser based games core exiles and puppet nightmares, one is a complex cooperative game with elements of stratogy and turn based rpg, the other a freaky version of Pokemon with evil puppets and mildly adult humour and a dark story line, not to mention possibly the most complex turn based battle system i've seen in a browser game.

Pretty much all of Aprone's games are worht a try, but I personally enjoyed Castaways most. The real art is to keep changing the jobs of your peasants to get things done faster.

For action and arcade titles, I have to say the esp pinball games  draconis are well worth a go, probably the best audio environments I've seen in an arcade title, also pipe 2 and hunter from bsc games just as games that are purely well designed though you might have trouble running them on a modern system.
Crazy party in both it's elements is a must play, I was also well impressed recently with beatstar.

For space invaders remakes, a game genre we've had plenty of, I probably would say Draconis Alien outback is a personal favourite, though most versions have something unique about them.
If you want audio rpgs, you've already played paladin of the skies and manamon, entombed is also well worth a try if you want a dungeon crawler.

Lastly for muds, alteraeon is well worth a play, indeed with it's more like a full on audiogame.mushZ client which is virtually a separate audio interface it's more of an audio rpg than a text game.

other muds I'd recommend include Cosmic rage, Frandom and Clok.

I'm not sure if that is ten, but speaking as someone who has literally had! to play almost everything there is out there available, it's surprising how much I can recommend when I get started, indeed one thing I will say about audiogames that because most games are the products of indi developers learning as they go, it's surprising how much creativity is put into  design.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-27 18:44:35

Hey, Dark, thank you so much for this list, pal, I've already tried some of them, but most are new and I'll check them out soon.

Well, about my taste for games, I enjoyed Paladin of the Sky more than Manamon, I also liked SoundRTS and Tactical Battle (in fact, I'm trying to write a map pack for Tactical Battles), Crazy Party Card Game is cool. TubeSim is surprisingly fun to play, Triple Triad is cool but I would love an online versus mode. I like online competitive games, I've spent some serious time playing at pokémon showdown and skullgirls.

I'll try more titles that you've mentioned, and all further recommendations are welcome from everybody.

2017-04-28 06:00:42

Well if your looking for online competitive games,you've already discovered crazy party which I can say is pretty cool when played online.
rs games client, quentin C  and Blind adrenaline cardroom contain many traditional and card games, plus some word and dice games that can be played against others. There are also several of the blindfold titles for Ios that have that capability too such as blindfold crazy eights with friends, as well as lost cities (whichalso personally recommend if you want a casual strategic card game which is easy to learn but surprisingly complex to play.
Also  bare in mind not all of the blindfold games have pages in the db yet (I'm working my way through them).

Other online competitive games include jungle, palace punchup, galaxy ranger, lords of the galaxy, super football, super tennis  and dragon pong, though finding opponents for some of those be interesting.
There is then the massive fully audio survival mmorp survive the wild, which can be set to full on pvp if you wish.

We also don't have a db page yet for redspot an online fps game where you shoot other players (from the same developer as survive the wild), or undead assault or humans vs robots, both online  action titles (for more see the appropriate topics in the new releases room).

There are also then a lot of competitive mmorpgs  browser games and several muds too, from the sports management meets rpg fest of something like path to pelantas, to the mafia fest of vendetta crime or the strategy space empire game ateraan.
for many have a pvp setting you can toggle if you wish to fight other players, and some like materiamagica apparently make this a main focus. I'm probably not the right person to ask about those sorts of things though since I'm not really a pvp fan myself.

For Ios there are some competitive mmorpgs too lords and nights, celtic tribes and turf wars.
The old storm8 games such as zombies live are gone, but I believe the ucon games such as dark galaxy fill a similar roll (again they're games I need to investigate).

hth.

Actually your doing very much what I did when I first came to the community back in 2006, namely play through literally everything! available and see what I liked big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-28 07:29:57

soundrts, stw, swamp and return of the king