2017-04-23 03:53:00

Hello,
Does anyone know of any browser based games that are action based and not text based like Kingdom of Loathing? I am looking for something like an FPS or 2D platformer. I would also like something like Super Egg Hunt.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any web based games that are like this? I would prefer something I don't need to download.
Thanks,

2017-04-23 07:05:55

Nah, don't think so. That would be pretty cool though.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-04-28 07:40:07

Hi.

The problem is most action browser games, whether short arcade style or full on mmorpgs like runescape or puzzle pirates  very heavily graphical.

There have been one or two attempts to build arcade style games in flash, but even there screen reader support can be interesting, one reason why the flash version of blind swordsman was better downloaded than played online.

The only browser games I know that are not text based  drive, sudosan, and These games from gamevial such as colonel zeeg and rebound.

Actually the gamevial ones are pretty cool as far as they go (I rather enjoy rebound), but obviously they're smaller arcade titles.

The closest thing we've got to something more complex, multiplayer and realtime would be either muds, or the few sound based mmorpgs we have such as survive the wild and before it's demise deathmatch, though manifestly those are client based rather than browser based.

I confess at this stage of development, where everyone has a working internet connection I do wonder what value there might be to creating browser based action audiogames, especially given that the platforms used to create them such as unity and flash have fairly dodgy relationships to screen readers, where as a custom client of course can be %100 screen reader friendly.

I suppose there is the question of cross platform availability,even then you have the screen reader issue, though I suppose there might be some cross platform potential if you could! get flash or unity to create a self voicing game and thus obviate the need for a screen reader, ---- though again good 3d sound support is in either platform I don't know.

Getting back to the question at hand, Drive, sudosan or the above mentioned gamevial games is probably your lot thus far, though on the plus side if you haven't played the gamevial titles I'd recommend giving them a go.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-28 19:17:57

Actually, you can create browserbased games in HTML5 without anything other than Javascript and an HTML file. No Flash is needed and you have full 3D Audio support and there are game engines out there that are just as advanced as anything client side. They are not as fast, but still, browser based games can be as advanced as Swamp. Graphics often have trouble in the browser (ironically), but the web audio api is as advanced as libaudioverse.
This means that the web is a perfect platform for audio games and even if you don't realize it, you only need to download the game once until you clear your cache.
I keep getting server errors for that website and Flash crashes more than works on my computer, so I don't know if they would work anyways. they look really fun though!

2017-04-28 19:30:11

HmmmI'd forgot about html5, though again why someone should now create an html5 game online rather than an offline client I'm not sure, unless cross platform compatibility was the basic idea, though you would have the advantage in html5 of not being reliant on dodgy flash support in screen readers, eg, you could just label your "start game button" and be confident that people with whatever screen reader could find and click it, though manifestly this might not be the case for real time text within the game itself, plus of course with html5 you'd be dependent on the browser for your in game speed especially across multiple games, and it'd be fairly dire if one player got the advantage because the other was stuck with some dodgy net interference.
this already is a problem in playing some mainstream titles online even across things like playstation network (I recall my brother cursing net lag when playing street fighter 4).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-28 19:56:28

There are lots of advantages of HTML5:
1. Javascript is the most known language in the world, so it is easier to find developers to help
2. You can be played on every platform, including IOs and Linux.
3. Aria works with every screen reader that supports it.
4. Web audio is fantastic and getting better every day. There is no compitition, so everyone is focused on making web audio API the best.
5. Web Speech API is like SAPI and works really well. If one doesn't want to use the Web Speech API, then they can use me.speak.
6. The game can be distributed as a single HTML file and you can open it on your computer. Once the game is downloaded, then it is up to the developer if they want to connect with a server (although it is really easy to connect with a server in an HTML game).
The con list is that JS is not that pretty and it is a little more difficult to really hide your sourcecode.
Other than that, the browser is just like something using C++ or python. For audiogames, the performance difference is not enough to notice. I just think that someone needs to make an audiogame library in Javascript.

2017-04-28 20:32:13

The disadvantage on that list is the need to use espeak or similar, since generally they don't sound pretty and we get enough complaints when someone makes a game that runs just with sapi, (especially since these days even the default windows sapi voices are light years beyond old Microsoft sam).

As for "developers to help", well I can see the logic of having a very well known and universal audio development language from a programming and theoretical perspective, unfortunately practically people are just not that interested in making audiogames, and the majority of those who are use either python, bgt or have their own more idiosyncratic preferences in languages and systems they are already familiar with, like Aprone and his vb code.

In the end the proof is in the pudding, and it'll take someone trying to build something to see if it is actually worth while I think, rather than theoretical speculation, after all I recall a time when everyone was sure that Java and the swing access bridge was the next big thing.

2017-04-28 23:10:41

I'm not able to start the games on the gamevial's website. Don't know why, even installed shocwave.

2017-04-29 07:41:31

Hmmm, I'd suggest contacting them and mentioning your browser and version.
They were a very nice bunch when I talked to them, actually one of the few occasions I chatted to a game developer over the phone since they're based in Scotland not far north of me big_smile.