I recently decided to try out standard ArchLinux in a VM, because I have an old pc which I'm considering installing some flavor of Linux on. However, after installing Arch and restarting, speakup doesn't start after bootup and I get beeps when I try to type in a command.

And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16

Thumbs up

Hmm? Is it installed correctly? If yyeah, try the following: press enter and type your password or enter, user name enter password enter

Raduvay se, raduvay
Raduvay se domaki ne
Kolko liste po gorach
Tolko zdrave na taz kyshcha

Thumbs up

Did you install using the TalkingArch image?
Did you install all extra packages, alsa-utils, espeakup, etc?
Did you save the ALSA state to /var/lib/alsa/asound.state before restarting?
HTH.

Thumbs up

Yes, I used the talking arch image. I think I saved the sound state but I'm not quite sure. I did use StormDragon's arch vm creation script, which does that automatically (I think).

And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16

Thumbs up