2017-04-09 16:08:47

So...I've been a longtime Kodi user and wanted to upgrade to 17.

So, I did, installing the screenreader addon (and why it isn't installed by default baffles me, it's literally the first thing I've installed in any build and I may actually see about sharing my list of addons I install in a PM if anyoned wants it), but I'm running into isues.

Essentailly, Kodi 17 and 17.1 has a huge, huge issue that nukes the screenreader. It is as follows, and this is going by what Rook, the author of the addon told me.

V17.1 and V17 have a problem with crashing when the screenreader is set to SAPI, which...is its default. I'm lucky enough to have NVDA selectable on my laptop so I picked that, and ...it still crashes.

So, went back to 16.1., started over, screenreader installed, selected NVDA, okayed that, that works fine, go to upgrade again, 17, wo beeps, crashes DESPITE me not picking SAPI in the addon settings.

Any ideas, guys? I've let Rook know about this but I got told he's still working on a fix for it, which....yeah, long time coming. I like Kodi 17, the idea of it but I would like my screenreader to work more with it, i.e. the Rook addon....

So, any help appreciated, I'm just frustrated by ths as to get it to work, I have to roll back to 16.1 in order to get that to work at all.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-04-09 20:47:04 (edited by LordLuceus 2017-04-09 20:48:48)

I've been dealing with this same issue for the past few days, and resolved it yesterday. You should check your Kodi log file, specifically the last line. On my system, it said something about a file called addons27.db. I deleted that file, restarted Kodi, and it worked. Note that this is with the screenreader addon set to NVDA. I've not tested it with SAPI, so don't know if SAPI still makes it crash.
HTH

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2017-04-09 21:31:52 (edited by JaceK 2017-04-09 21:46:26)

Quick Q before I do that, I used the Top Tutorials wizad, do I need to go remove everything and start from scratch, reinstall the screenreader, then upgrade, then reapply the wizard?

I'll give that a go and report back, currently got Kodi set to NVDA here but nervious bout upgrading again.
Also, tried the addon on my othr machine, and no NVDA selectable there, what exactly makes NVDA show up or not in the engine menu?

EDIT: Okay, this is beyond weird, if I upgrade it seems to reset the screenreader to SAPI? Huh, I know for a fact I set it to NVDA, yet going from Jarvis to Krypton makes it fall over and crash as soon as it beeps? This is weird, I'll get to writing Rook an email and asking him if he can look into the code

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-04-10 02:18:19

Hello.

I keep hearing of codi, and am wondering what it is?

From what I understand it's a program with ways to play radio stations and other things like that, is that true?

My next question is what makes codi stand out? I mean, why would I get codi when I can get a radio app and have it do the same thing?

I'm gone for real :)

2017-09-17 16:54:21

Hi,

There's a portable version of Kodi that someone created with the screen reader included, for 17.3. Give me some time to find the link in my email and I'll send it on over.

2017-09-21 22:08:12

I'd be very interested in that link as well please.