2017-04-04 10:17:11

Hi,
So I realised a while ago that I want to get a new more powerful laptop.
With that said, I thought I would take microsoft up on their free upgrade offer and get used to win ten beforehand.
Everything works now, and I've installed classic shell.
However my question is, what can I do to increase performance and battery life?  I just want this laptop to last a few more months, and any tips you guys have might help with getting the most out of my new one performance wise too. 
Thanks in advance.

2017-04-04 10:47:29

First thing I'd suggest is https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner 

It's great for clearing clutter from your hd including processes that might be taking up excessive memory space, speed and battery life, changing what comes up at startup etc

could also check something like malware bites or other anti malware programs since spyware isn't good for performance either.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-04 12:32:02

If you haven't already done so, have a look in your settings privicy and security along with background apps.
Half of the things in there that are already enabled make me think what the fuck were MS thinking? and that too to have those things on by default.
Oh and, sharing your network/bandwidth for windows update is another thing you might want to turn off.

After windows updates have been downloaded, and installed, if you are using a wifi network set it as a metered connection, to avoid shite like candy crush and the like from being installed.
Fun fact, even if you uninstall those,they get redownloaded without so much as a by your leave.

grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-04-04 12:33:37

thanks Dark.  for antivirus, I have microsoft security essentials, which has served me well for years.  not sure if it does malware though, will have a look.
also with the built in apps, which ones can I get rid of?   I read somewhere to uninstall the builtin ones, I'll have to go into command line.  is that true?  smile

2017-04-04 15:47:53

Hi,
Couldn't get something. Did you buy a computer with windows 10, or did you upgrade your old one to Win 10?
Whatever it is, I wish you a very good luck with Win 10 and its frustrations. I'd recommend first to turn off some services related to privacy settings, then do away with some pre-installed apps like money, sports, weather, windows feedback, contact support, swei, groove music, and some others which you may never use in your experience with Windows 10. They can be removed by using the latest version of cCleaner. After that, limit the startup programs or sevices that you don't need, not only for a better system startup, but also because you might not need them for any reason, and your computer will work faster when you need to start working with it right away. Next, if you don't want updates to be installed randomly, or simply, if you want some control of the time of updating your system, do not set your network in a metered connection, because it hinders windows defender from receiving updates, but go to services, and then disable windows update service to begin at startup, so that updates will not only download, but also they won't be installed. If you don't want apps to be installed without permition or confirmation from you, I strongly recommend you removing Windows store from your computer, again using C Cleaner.

2017-04-04 16:07:17

vista, bad.  Seven, good.  Eight, bad.  8.1, reasonable.  Ten?  I dunno, and I really don't want to find out.  I'll just stick to 7, less to worry about.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-04-04 19:11:11

If we compare Windows 7, to  8.1, to 10, you will realise that Windows 7 is way way way better in many respects. That's why I asked the guy if he bought a computer with Windows 10, or if he upgraded to Windows 10. Cause if he had previously installed Win 7 on his machine, I highly doubt it would perform better with Windows 10. So, better stick with Windows 7, as it is clean, simple, no blotware, no need for workarounds, and no need to sit in front of your computer for 7-8 hours when you format it to customise windows to your preference. That's how much it took for me.

2017-04-05 21:26:45

If you want to keep windows 10, disabling Telemetry should be the first thing you do, no question.
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable- … indows-10/
If you're buying a new machine, why not buy a mac if you can afford it? It's a lot better of an investment than buying one of these newer machines that *only* run windows 10.

2017-04-05 21:30:57

Nicely put, afrim.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-04-06 00:56:53

@Jack, I don't really think buying a Mac is so easy, not because of the investment you put on it, but because you're going to live with a completely different system which you may need to learn from scratch. And this time of the year may not be the perfect time to learn new things , provided that the guy may be working or is studying at school or university. Buying a new Windows machine is not completely a bad idea, because the machine is not stricted to work with one and only windows 10. That is a persuasive tactic of Microsoft to hold people onto windows 10; I can't find any other apparent reason. Even the latest Intel processors will run fine while using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

2017-04-06 05:33:21

I still haven't set up my new windows 10 machine, but am looking forward to being able to do so with Narrator instead of having to rely on sighted assistance.

2017-04-06 08:52:24

And that's about where the fun ends; it's a double edged sword as far as I'm concerned.  If you really want self guided assistance, get a mac; you'll be doing more with it anyway until MS loses this idea that their PC operating system has to mimic its mobile system.  Moreover, Apple's been doing this for longer anyway and have got it put together more efficiently.  Want to keep windows?  Grab a win10 machine and downgrade to windows 7 if you can manage it.  My wife just did and that's working out quite nicely for her.

2017-04-06 23:16:12

Afrim, the mac can run virtual machines of windows without problems. Fusion is expensive, admittedly, but you are getting what you pay for. So if he did want to get a mac, he could.

2017-04-09 18:49:07

See, my problem is that Microsoft tries to force you to install apps that you probably can't use anyways, like candy crush. I don't know why they do that but it's aggravating. Pluss, I don't know if they do this anymore, but they used to force windows 10 onto your PC if you have windows 7, 8, or 8.1.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-04-09 21:19:27

Force it onto your PC may be a bit inaccurate. It's true that they made it a recommended update, but you could always choose not to install it. I haven't heard anything about that in some time, so it may have ceased when 10 was being offered as a free upgrade.

2017-04-10 00:35:19

I don't know, I've always heard people say, "It kept on asking me to upgrade over and over. I had to leave the house, and when I came back, it said it was installing windows 10."

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER