2017-04-09 04:50:50

Considering this thread is already around, I figured I'd ask here, rather than starting a completely new one. I'm trying to call an action, but the action that's called can very, based on the player's input. Is there a way to use variables with the try command, rather than action names? Also, how do you navigate through entries on a table, or iterate a list within a list? Say I wanted to have inform tell me that contents of cell six in column four, or run through row five until it comes across the number 12. Honestly tables just seem like more trouble than they're worth, this could probably be done with multiple lists and some workaround. Essentially I'm trying to bypass the fact that inform doesn't let you have lists of multiple types -- each entry in the list would be a list of two items; a piece of text, and a number. What I want to happen is that the player types in say, kiss apple. The action would take the noun apple, check it against either the first column of the table or the first list, and if it comes up with a result, then try an action by the same name of the noun. I could easily just have this occur within the same action, but I don't foresee this being a short list, and required indentation might mean I'll have a giant mess of nested ifs, and I want to be able to add to this list and to my pile of actions frequently and without having to hit tab twenty times and look through who knows how many other if statements. The second column (or second list) would be to determine success or failure, based on the number present. I guess I could just make "true" and "false" entries rather than 0 1 entries, but that still doesn't solve my first issue. I know this post is kind of a mess of different problems, but I've been trying to come up with alternatives to my problem for a while, and keep running up against dead ends, or things that I can't find expressly listed in the manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2017-04-09 10:27:22

As far as I know, try only works with actual actions. For iterating through tables, you use "repeat through (table name)" to go through each row in the table. Then to use an entry, just type the column name in the nested Statement. Naturally, you can also just use "choose row (row number) in (table name) and then work with it without iterating through the whole table. I have never used nested lists before, but can't you just type "repeat with x running through (the list name) and then "repeat with y running through x)"?

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2017-04-10 16:17:29

Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't try most of this, since inform is refusing to let me make a list. Clearly it's me doing something wrong, but I've tried defining it in what feels like forty nine different ways, and nothing works -- either I get an error saying inform doesn't see a verb it recognizes, or:
Problem. The sentence 'X is a list of numbers with entries 1, 2, 3'  story.ni#line121 reads to me as if 'X' refers to something I should create as brand new - a list of numbers. But that can't be right, because this is a kind of value where I can't simply invent new values.
I've tried writing it out like that, I've tried putting braces around the numbers, I've tried putting no punctuation, a semicolon, a period, I've tried "let x be" rather than "x is" (that usually gets me the no verb it knows how to deal with" error), I've tried writing entries in different ways ("contains the numbers", "are entries in x", "x contains the entries", "entries in x are"). I've even tried adding numbers individually, like "x is a list of numbers. Add 1 to x. Add 2 to x. Add 3 to x", and "x is a list of numbers. 1 is an entry in x..." etc. So then I wondered if I was being to verbose about it, and tried stuff like {1, 2, 3" are in x, or {1, 2, 3" is x. I got this error:
Problem. The sentence '{1, 2,, 3} is numlist'  story.ni#line121 seems to say that '{1, 2,, 3}', which I think is a list of values, and 'x', which I think is an object, are the same.
That can't be right, so I must have misunderstood. Perhaps you intended to make something new, but it accidentally had the same name as something already existing?
So I thought OK, sure, x is just one letter, maybe that's too short or something. So I tried different words, like numlist. Still didn't work. I went out to find some examples, and copied and pasted them. When that didn't work, I wrote them in character for character. Still didn't work.
I don't blame inform; I blame myself for not knowing what syntax to use. But I've spent I don't know how many hours on this getting the same useless errors over and over, and have no idea what to try next.
Help?

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2017-04-10 19:11:24

Try "X is a list of numbers that varies."

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2017-04-10 19:33:22

Well that's a silly fix, since I wasn't planning on it ever changing, but whatever, it works. Thanks.