2017-03-27 07:25:41 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-12-02 07:23:20)

Removed

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)

2017-03-27 07:38:27

Hi.
Welcome to the forum. Nice interests you have. I'm sure you'll enjoy the time very much here on the forum.
What is Touhou? Is it accessible?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-03-27 08:23:06 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-12-02 07:23:40)

Removed

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-03-27 09:10:32

Hello Dekyo-nec2608 and welcome to the forums!
I also enjoy video games, though I can't play them and don't have the patience to really sit down and try without guidance. Then again I have no useful vision so even the simplest of video games would be difficult for me without adequate auditory feedback.
I do share your interest with sound chips. I play around with the Nes (2a03), and Snes (SPC700), and am learning how to use open mpt to make module files (.mod, .it, .xm, etc.) I want to play more with the YM2608 and 2612 and also want to explore the TG16/PC Engine, or C64, though accessible good tools for those formats are currently difficult to come by. I am on a few boards such as SMw Central, a community for SMW hackers, and I contribute to the custom music section on there
I also make midi files, sometimes with a midi keyboard, sometimes just with the computer keyboard. To do this, I use a program called QWS which has an on-screen keyboard, and I've gotten quite good at sequencing with that alone on my laptop.
So, I'm curious, what programs do you use for MML? I've probably at least downloaded most of them since I'm a pretty big collector of that stuff. As you can tell, I'm a huge geek. smile It'd be interesting to compare a few notes (no pun intended).

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-03-27 19:22:26

Hello and welcome to the forum!

2017-03-27 19:29:02

welcome to the forum.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-29 00:02:10 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-12-02 07:25:05)

Removed

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-03-29 03:07:09

Welcome to the forum!

2017-03-29 11:01:17

Wow, that's a lot of points. Probably because I made a lot of points in my post smile I'm pretty tired so I'll respond to them all as best as I can.

Firstly, iirc FM synthesis isn't as visual as it is mathematical, though no doubt some visual displays can make it easier to see what you're doing. I'm not good at it myself but I'd like to learn more about how to make cool sounds with it like in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, Streets of Rage, shining Force, Contra Hardcore, and Rocket Night Adventures,, just to name a few of my favorite Genesis compositions. What's even more visual is wavetable synthesis, such as that on the Nes's FDS and N163 expantion slots, and also on the PC Engine and Konami KSS chip iirc. Sighted people have it easy with those chips, they can copy the waveform shape from a waveform display into a wavetable slot, or can memorise the shape of it and draw it and a wavetable is generated. We can't do that, but I've found a way to use Gold Wave to make wavetables. It's complicated and annoying, but it does work. At some point, I might make a tool for this task if I get enough programming knowledge. Right now my programming skills are dismal.

Last I used PPMCK, it didn't require any hexadecimal numbers. XPMCK might, I haven't tried it much. The problem with XPMCK is that some of the sound chips are not well supported or are annoyingly limited. But others, I think, have fairly decent support. Again I haven't actually played a whole lot with it, but one of these days I will, as it would still be loads of fun.

The program I use to create SPC700 stuff is called AddmusicK, which you can find in the tools section of SMW Central. It allows you to create music for Super Mario World but with a bit of modification it can be used just to do SPC music. I have a version of addmusicK lying around that empties out all the SMW preloaded data, leaving me maximal space within the SPC700's ram to work in, and that is what I use for ambitious projects. The ones I intend to submit properly are made with the default configs. I also make my own brr samples for the most part, since I am a sampelr geek as well and feel sorta wrong ripping samples from games.

I admit I haven't played much with midi to mml tools or anything like that. Maybe I'm spoiled or something but I find it easier to do the mml by hand, even if it takes longer.

Your process with working with the ym2608 is interesting, but I'm not that adventurous to start doing stuff in Dos. Maybe one day I'll be bored/intrigued enough to wanna do it though. Lol

2017-03-29 23:49:38 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-12-02 07:25:28)

Removed

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2017-03-30 04:36:53

Hello. Hmm. Touhou. That's not a game I see around here often. I have seen some videos, but I mostly  enjoy the music. Anyway, I'd welcome you to the forum, but I think you've been here longer than I have.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2017-03-30 10:50:50

DEKYO-Nec2608 wrote:

You've surprised me a lot about how well you know about sound chips, I did not know there were people who had that kind of knowledge on this website.

There aren't many who do, you and I are a few of the odd ones out smile

I will not ask any more questions, because this is just a topic for presentation, maybe another time.

That is what the PM feature is for, or some other contact method such as Skype. I wouldn't mind if you were interested. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to talk much about Touhou or any other game for that matter. I've ashamedly never even heard Touhou's music but people seem to almost universally say it is good.

2017-03-31 08:25:15

welcome to this forum
I hope that you enjoy your time here on the forum

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-04-01 08:16:13 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-12-02 07:25:44)

Removed

Yamaha YM2608

YOU