2017-03-26 20:20:41

So I got bored and decided I was desperate enough to dust off my old squidsoft account and see how sideways Star conquest has gotten. So I did. And... Squidsoft doesn't exist? did I miss a memo and they've gone dark again? I mean I figured they might, but considering how many people from here play that thing I'm surprised this place hasn't exploded.

2017-03-26 20:45:08

the mud is alive. I can connect to it, at least. Though unless you have a custom made soundpack, the one that's currently in public circulation has broken space and ground combat, noone's bothering to fix it, and I can't tell any of the people in game who use a soundpack because of the hosts not liking it. If I asked them, they'd probably just tell me to code it myself or not play the game, as they usually do. The only person who I think can fix it has also stopped playing, so you won't be getting any scp or gcp any time soon.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-03-26 20:48:22

Lucky for me I don't give a rip about soundpacks. That having been said.. how are you connecting to it? Because the connection info I have, which to my knowledge hasn't changed in years, isn't doing what it's supposed to.

2017-03-26 21:52:25

it is for me. I connect using moo.squidsoft.net port 7777.

2017-03-27 02:57:53

If you're used to original Star Conquest, it's pretty sideways honestly. I've also heard that the hosts are just burned out and haven't been developing new systems, etc. Same with Miriani's hosts, as they've had several good games under development that just stopped randomly, E.G. Stellaris.

Squidsoft also had a GWSE2 under development around 2012, but again, that stopped randomly if you read it's short-lived devblog.

Among all this, I've scene several hosts mention it on the message boards on both games that they haven't felt like developing.

Anyway, enough of my rambling about the Squidsoft that once was and what's changed. My character was deleted, and I don't have the energy to come up with a new concept at this moment.

2017-03-27 05:53:04

Oh no it's still going strong, and I don't know what soundpack you're using, but mine works just fine with ground and space combat. they did change a few things which involved changing a word in the trigger line, but it's not a huge fix by any means. Regarding the connection, their site is down, so you need to connect via their IP address. that is, 104.181.170.164 port 7777.

thanks,
Michael

2017-03-27 20:04:55

hello drums, is it possible for you to send me the version of the soundpack you have, if it works for you?

2017-03-28 05:52:54

I sent it via PM. Hopefully it works for you. There are still some bugs with ambiance which I haven't bothered to try to fix, but other than that, the pack should work. Oh, in vipmud, I changed the control number keys to alt number instead and so in the pack, you will need to change the channel buffers back to alt number. Off the top of my head, I can't remember whether it's in the communications.set file, or the Star conquest.set file. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

thanks,
Michael