2017-03-26 08:46:30

Hi all.
I would like to hear if some of you have any experiences with massage equipments such as massage chairs, seats, pillos or any other kinds of massage devices?
I'm in a serious need for such device, because I often have some extreme pain in my shoulders and neck. Sometimes the pain is so extreme that I'm forced to drop all my plans for the rest of the day, and if it happens at the night, I don't sleep well, if I even sleep at all. Then you might think why I don't visit a professionel massager to get rid of my trouble? Because one month later it's the same again, so it'll end up being very expensive. An other reason is the pain comes so quickly like in a half hour or so, so I can't book the time before it comes. I can't wait a few days. Something needs to be done before the pain starts. I have visited a professional massager long time ago, but it didn't helped much. Maybe she wasn't good enough, I don't know.
So, as you see, there are a number of reasons for me to look into massage equipments. I have an other kind of massage equipment which I'll tell you about later on if there is any interest in this topic.
I have made a lot of research, and here is the best massager seat I have found so far:
https://www.beurer.com/web/en/products/ … -300-black
This is a massager seat made by a german company called Beurer.
This is a seat in two parts: A seat to sit on which will massage your back, shoulders and neck. You can place it in a sofa or a chair. I wish I could come up with a better description on wha tit looks like for those who haven't seen such a device before, but I can't find the right words in english to make a better description. So I hope others can come up with a better description if needed.
The best solution would be a massage chair. But it's very big and I don't have the space for such big a chair, and I don't have the money since they are extremely expensive.
So, what are your experiences with massage equipments? What works best for you? It would be great to hear about your experiences, what you're using and how it works.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-03-26 09:07:39

@Slj, The first thing I would suggest is you go and see a physio therapist (also called in the States a physical therapist). There are a lot of different reasons why you might be having back and shoulder trouble, and depending upon what the reason for the trouble is, getting a massage chair may or may not help, eg, if the problem is to do with joints or bones then massaging the muscles will just as you said be temporary relief at best.

Likewise, whether you need massage, or just extra support or pressure relief on your muscles will depend upon what the actual issue is and the reason for the pain, and again it might be an easier solution than you might think.

Hth.
Btw, my mum is a physio and my sister has a variety of problems due to her myotonic dystrophy so I sort of grew up with this sort of thing big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-03-26 23:25:19

Thanks for your answer. The pain in my neck is so extreme so I need to do something about it in a few days if it's not better after a good night of sleep. So I might visit a physio therapist to hopefully get my neck fixed. The frustrating thing is: Each time I have visit some kind of professionel people, they try to fix it in multiple ways, but it keeps coming back, and they can't tell me why it keeps coming back or how to avoid it. Then I run out of money, need to deal with it for pretty long time until I get some money again, and the same happens... So I'll try to contact some other professionel people and then I hope they can be more helpful.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2017-03-27 05:40:57

My problem with the things you're asking about is the ones I have seen go over the spine, and that's not only uncomfortable, that's somewhat dangerous. Being a massage therapist myself, I would definitely recommend going to see someone. I tell my clients it's like going to a mechanic for your car. You can go when things break down, but it will cost you a lot of time and money, or you could come on a semi-regular basis for a tune-up and oil change.

If that's not feasible because of money, I would suggest daily stretching, applying heat, and making sure to drink lots of water. Be mindful that if you're at a computer a lot of the time, you're posture is probably hunched forward with your head also forward. This contributes to pain between the shoulder blades and the neck because the pectoral muscles become tightened.

One stretch that can help with the pecs is standing in a doorframe. Let's say take your left arm, and reach up so your elbow is bent at a 90 degree angle, and grab the side of the doorframe. Step forward with your left foot and twist slightly to the right. Stretch only to the point where you feel the stretch, but not to the point of pain, and hold for thirty seconds.

As far as the neck goes, it really depends on where the pain is. You can sleep with a rolled up towel under your neck, you can do a couple of stretches from side-to-side, or you can try a different pillow.

thanks,
Michael

2017-03-27 12:19:48

Hello folks! yes, Michael is right. I work in this area too. Another thing to take into consideration is the angle between your arms and the keyboard of you computer, notebook or even the table if the case may be. Also, check if your matress is right for you or if it is not too old. Pillows also play a large role when it comes to sleeping posture. And lastly, have gone to a doctor to see if your back is in order? I honestly it is not the case, but it may be not something you will solve only with some regular tips and tricks.
Hope you can solve it soon.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-03-27 20:13:09

I had a massage seat once. I forget the name of it but it wasn't a chair, it was a device to strap onto a chair. It has a cushion for you to sit on, that part didn't have any heat or massage, but the rest of it that ran up the length of your back and on your neck did. It was pretty nice. I didn't use it all the time but the problem is, one day it just quit working. Well, at first I thought maybe something tripped in there, and I opened the back up that had a zipper compartment to see if there was some kind of reset button or fuse or something, not finding anything, I looked it up on this forum and they said this is somewhat common and nothing really can be done. Well, I didn't buy it, it was a gift, and I didn't have the money to check into repairing it, so I just threw it out. I only really used it two dozen times over like 8 months.

It had the option for heat, and different patterns. It had these 4 rounded things and the main part of it would either start down low and go up, or the other way around, but it would stop and then the nub things would start moving in towards the center of your back, and out towards the shoulders. It would then move slowly up as this was going on. You could change the speed of it, the pattern, or press the demo button and it would run through a sequence. You could also stop the pattern and run it with the controller, so you could have the nubs moving, and then control the position of the main part of it, so up and down, so if you had a trouble spot, you could continue to move the thing up or down until you reached that, and then just stop pressing buttons and the massage nubs would just continue on that area until you changed it. It had different patterns for the nubs to move in, like short pulses or all the way, and stuff like that. You could manually set the position of the nubs too, then control the up and down movement, so it was either automatically controlled, or you could run all of its functions. Pressing the demo button was nice because you got like a full detail basically. but, you could focus in on an area by running it yourself. Also while there was only one demo you could use, if you set a patter and started it moving, it would continue like that if that makes sense. I liked the heating. One thing I would do for sort of general back ache is set the position of the nubs and start it going up and down automatically, that way it was hitting a majority of the spot, but the nubs were staying still.

I hope this is making sense. Think of it like having 2 axis controls over it. One is moving the main arm up and down the vertical shaft in the thing, and the other is moving the massage heads in and out, not like pressure wise, but laterally. They did sort of spring a bit so you could have light pressure, or lean in hard and get a more deep massage.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-27 20:43:05

Hi all.
Thanks for your replies.
I have taken your advice, contacted a massager I know, a good friend of mine. We have made a great deal where I get some massage pretty cheep. Then I'll see how it goes and hope the best.
I have asked him for all kinds of advice such to check if I'm walking normally, do I sit normally and if there is anything else which can cause the trouble I'm having. If he can't answer this or give me any advice, I have other places to ask, which is not cheep, but hopefully worth it. My goal is also to find out if I'm doing anything which trickers the pain, and if I can do anything to keep it at the minimal. I don't have the money to pay like 50 dollars each week or each month to get some massage.
Regarding massage equipments, thanks for your advice on this subject. In my situration, it might be worth it if they can help just a bit so I don't need to go to a massager each week or each month. I know you can get some cheep crap, which is the reason for I've made a lot of research on those. Have you actually read about the massager seat which I've linked to in the first post?
@ironcross32: Thanks a lot for your description. This is exactly such a seat I'm looking into. If you read the description of the seat I've linked to in the first post, you'll see that it's the same kind of seat, but more professionel.

Best regards SLJ.

2017-03-28 00:16:58

I was recently diagnosed with minor arthritis; it can happen to anyone regardless of how well you keep yourself maintained physically, because in all reality arthritis is a word used for any number of problems that concern painful inflmation of the joints.  More often than not, especially in young people, any damage arthritis causes can only be seen on x-ray, particularly if it's nothing overly debilitating.  You may have been exposed to lead without knowing, which may also be a contributor and one that you'll want to rule out immediately.  considering everything you've posted, however, I would suggest as Dark wisely pointed out in post 2, that you seek professional help at every corner, as the fix may be as simple as taking an antiinflammatory medication such as Naproxen which comes in many forms such as Aleve, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax and Naprelan depending on what you need it for but which all more or less do the same thing.  this may be coupled with a low grade or imitation opioid such as Ultram.  Interestingly enough, while it may seem like you'll always be dependant on the stuff you'll more than likely find yourself taking it a lot less than you think.  I find that the best time to take any pain and antiinflammatory medication is when I know I'm going to be out and about doing any number of things which under most circumstances would cause me pain.  Being a dad, I sincerely don't need pain; I'm always dealing in some way or another with 3 children.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-03-31 08:20:41

Hi.
I have got some really great massage which helps a lot, and I'll got more the next 5 weeks.
I have also bought a massage seat which I'm getting later today, and I can return the product if I don't like it. So I look forward to see if the massage seat makes any difference. I'm not sure if you're interested to hear more about the massage seat when I get some experience with this. Just let me know if you wanna hear more about it, and I'll gladly tell you about my experiences.

Best regards SLJ.