2017-03-24 14:27:13

I just discovered a completely modern-day mud with little or no paranormal elements. It is role play intensive, and you can own shops, houses, cars, weapons, and such. There isn't a lot available in the way of help files, but I gather that you can be a merchant, lawyer, mafia-style criminal, or anything else that belongs in a city.
The Night seems to have been around for quite a while, and it appears to be screen reader friendly. I'm posting here, because I don't ever remember reading about it on this forum.
Character creation was interesting, because it was so different from most other Muds - no elves or goblins, but you had to choose characteristics for a modern person.
The room descriptions are really immersive, using all the senses.
This is one, where you'll just have to wander around and figure out what to do, but if you don't mind that, it could provide a refreshingly different theme for gameplay.

To check it out:
host: the-night.com
port: 2000

2017-03-24 17:53:37

I've tried this one and its out there on the fringes. The thing is, nobody can seem to tell me just what the hell you're supposed to be doing. It's weird, they just say pan for gold or something which I did for a while. I like openness and nonlinearity, but this one is out there. I was put off by the complete lack of direction and the unwillingness of people to tell me what's going on, not that they were unfriendly or anything, they just gave vague answers.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-24 18:44:56

Hello there and thanks for posting about this mud.
It does sound good and anything that's different from the usual is welcome as far as I am concerned. big_smile

But when you say RP enforced, is it like one of those RP intensive muds where there are hardly any mechanics and and most things are role played?
That is to say, would a person who isn't good at RP or prefers more of the gameplay and the like and less RP enjoy this mud? Would be things for a person like that to be done in the mud.

Thanks!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-03-24 20:22:42

yes, I have played that mud.
The thing is though, it's a pretty dead mud, so finding any role play is rather difficult.
Also, their emoting system is a bit difficult at best, especially if you want to do a floating emote, where your name comes in the middle of the emote, rather than at the beginning.
It's a good concept, but the incomplete help files, along with the difficulty in emoting, and there not being a huge player base, makes it difficult to play.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-03-24 20:48:07

hmmm, sounds interesting, i will check it

2017-03-24 22:13:00

Hi.
This sounds awesome I didn't know there were muds like this. Thanks mirage for posting about this! I can't wait to try it, I've been tired of sci-fi and fantasy themed muds for a while but I didn't think there was anything else. Can someone recommend some more muds that take place in modern society? I'd really appreciate it.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-03-24 23:08:10

Just to clarify, it's a MOO, not a MUD.

2017-03-25 00:09:35

Yeah, well their both text-based, they run in a mud client, the only difference is what code-base they use. So a post like that is really unnecessary.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2017-03-25 02:36:46 (edited by Shadowcat 2017-03-25 02:37:06)

this topic should be moved... lol this is nowhere near a new release, it's been around for years

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2017-03-25 04:33:01

I gave this a shot and here's what I think.
1. Annoying. I feel like all I did was type: En doo, AKA, enter door. This really annoys me.
2. Friendly, not. There's practicly no help files, the players give you an answer that leaves you scratching you're head and saying "HTF am I suppose to do that?"
I don't really like it, but I want more muds like that, perhaps a bit more helpful to the new players, though.

2017-03-25 05:09:38

@9 yes but its new as far as the prospective of being new to the forums here which is why it is in new releases. @10 100% my feelings as well

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-25 05:24:13

is there a sound pack? pvp?

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2017-03-25 05:39:53

I haven't looked but I seriously doubt the night has a sound pack. If this was a well-known mud like alter-aeon it probably would have gotten a soundpack years ago. Since it seems the night is new to some people on this forum I would take a guess and say no there isn't a soundpack.
Hth.

Guitarman.

2017-03-25 10:37:08

@Guitarman, moo and mud are pretty blurred distinctions these days, even if the codbases were different. Mud tends to be the catch all so yes, I'd count this as a mud.
Also yes, we do have new topics in new releases if it's new to us.

For people looking for other muds with a different setting I have heard good things about the zombie themed survival mud epitaff website here

I confess I didn't get on well with it myself mostly due to the spammy combat, though that might well have changed, still if people are wanting a look that might be a good one to try.

I also have heard of Penny dreadful mud website here
As far as I know it's a modern day urban fantasy style mud with a heavy roleplay element, though I only know what I've found on the website, still for people looking for settings other than sf or fantasy these might be good to try.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-03-25 13:16:59

Tried it years ago here and I actually know a few people who played it in my contacts but from what I keep being told, not a lot goes on and nobody bothers with it any more.

Shame since it had some decent concepts but....poor execution.

TL:DR Don't bother (according to people who play regularly)

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-03-25 14:29:14

That's too bad, because it seems like a concept that could really take off, if it had either 1. a thorough help file system, or 2) players or NPCs that could guide you into the game a bit better.

2017-03-25 22:06:31

This game has in deed been around for ages, and I was into it for a while just because I would have fun roleplaying with my friends. Beyond that though, there's nothing to it at all. I don't know whether the admins, or guides as they call themselves, just don't know how to code or coded little with the intent of making people roleplay, but the end result is that it's a framework for rp with no people to do the roleplaying. The only way to actually generate income without getting a player run job is, yes, panning for gold, which I did until I had millions of dollars stored away. The combat system was completely rp based. I wasn't a huge arena fighter, so I'm not sure of the exact commands, but I remember sparring (fighting players without hurting them) involved rolling virtual dice and emoting what your character did based on what happened. Real fighting was basically the same thing, but the dice looked slightly different, the players would lose real health, and obviously your emotes would be different depending on whether or not you had a weapon. Some systems are cool. The smart phones and computers are pretty extensive and remind me of miriani. You could watch random tv shows on your phone or television, take videos with your camera and print documents with your computer if you bought a printer. You can even where a headset and talk to people on the phone without taking it out of it's case. The bank system was pretty realistic as well. You could either go to an atm in the city you are in and just deposit or withdraw, but there was a limit of 50k for withdrawals, or you could go to the bank itself and, in addition to unlimited withdrawals, you could set up things such as recurring payments to other players. The language bit was another cool thing, but it was made very very not cool by the daily contest which was not a contest at all. Rather, it was a daily reward for playing the game. All you did was press d on the log on screen, and you would get a random reward of cash between $2000 and $100000 or different colored vouchers which could be exchanged for instant fluency in a language. A loyal player would soon find him or herself knowing 15 to 20 languages after a couple of months. I'm not even sure how one would really learn a language. The helpfile said something about university classes and such, maybe taught by npcs, I don't know.
So yeah, very stupid, very dead game. If you're not an rp fan, skip right over this one because that's all this is. If you are, go ahead and create a char, but you'll probably be disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm or just generally the amount of people interested anymore.

2017-03-26 00:51:06

@alec Things changed there, man.. The playerbase has increased and the gms there are more active.. Code is being developped.. I enjoy the game, its
very realistic, which is, for me, always something good. All in all, its, for me, a wonderfull game.

2017-04-07 03:32:34

Hello!
Pretty much what Alec said. Really minimal, relies heavily on players' emotes and actions to generate any type of roleplaying setting. Other than that, all you can really do is get drunk, make drinks here and there, have kids which don't even do anything interesting, and ride around different cities. There are a few other mechanics, but they're nothing that impacts the game in a way that makes any less boring. I play from time to time, do to boredom and whatnot, but honestly I wish someone would make more of a modern MOO/MUD similar but with fully working mechanics. I've considered doing so, even got the bases for starting such a project up but can't find too many people to be interested so that's aside for now.
So yeah, fun from time to time, though very boring mostly and the majority of the guides don't do shit there.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2017-07-08 16:57:24

I honestly want a modern moo, mud wathever, with cars, jobs, families, marriage, shops, clothes etc. If someone is up to it, I can give ideas, I can help with testing etc. regarding the night... it can be good. This is all I have to say.

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2017-07-14 05:39:26

@Annellin, I have some good ideas about doing that actually, with possible multiple branching themes off of the modern day portion of the game. I don't know if I ever would do so because I'd require more assistance from builders and the like, but if I decided to continue with this and you'd be interested in helping, please leave a reply here and we'll go from there. Thanks!
-Dgleks

2017-07-15 12:08:58

sure, I'd like it. pm me? I have a idea, but im not sure how will it go and I don't want to go off topic here.

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2017-07-16 01:58:30

same, I'd be willing to help, I'm used to building and the like, and I have been wanting something of the type for a while now.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-07-16 06:39:05

Alright, sounds good. I'll PM the both of you with my Skype name and we can get started. If either of you don't have a Skype account, reply back to me in PM and we'll set up something else.
-Dgleks

2017-07-16 21:40:53

I tried this mud a couple of years ago.  The modern setting and real-life aspects appealed very much to me.  However, the player base is so dead that it's just not worth it.  That's a real shame, because I saw potential there, especially with some good admins and builders.  I'm surprised that there are no more modern-theme games out there.