2008-04-26 03:58:32

Hey, guess what, we got 700 posters.

This forum is huge!

Lets cellebrate.

I am the wistler.
And I knoe many things for I walk by night.
I no many strange tales hidden in the hearts of men and women who have stepped into the shadows.
Yes! I no the nameless terrors of witch they dare not speak!

2008-04-26 07:08:58

Hahaha, man that's weird...

2008-04-26 08:48:59

except that half of them have 0 posts, and some have silly things like games11011, games22022, games33033, that surely is a spam bot which doesn't do anything, don't you think? still nice though. I would guess that the rally active amount of members is only at like 20 or 30, with the occasional new member joining in, and the random person posting a few times and then leaving. Still nice to see 700 registered users though.

2008-04-26 09:00:41

cool! more converts to the cause.

Arjan, the situation with people with 0 posts or possible spambots seems to be the same on all forums. It's either a rule that some people are just shy, or that spambots are stupid. The important thing is, as you've said, that there are a bunch of active members with more appearing all the time.

Certainly there are more people here now, actively posting than when I first started here in 2005.

Marsial, I fuly agree on the celibration! You Break out the firewater while I go russel up someone to tickle the ivories, we'll jus' have to hope that them there varments take a night off for once, lol!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-26 11:12:31

Hi all,
It's cool to see 700 users on here. some are spambots as already pointed out, but some might also be shy. but it might be a matter of time before the shy ones might post something, after looking and finding something to talk about. that'd be neett. happy gaming and foruming!

2008-04-26 14:52:21

I was shy at first. It took me a while to start posting and look how many I have. Anyway, how many are bots on this form?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-26 15:29:17

Dark, I think spambots are stupid by definition laugh.

How many are bots? Hard to tell really. Feel like going through 700 users and counting all the ones that look like spambots? I'm game if you are tongue

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-26 18:05:10

I'd personally not want to go through 700 registered users and thinking really hard of which are spambots and which aren't. obviously the ones that have registered over 4 years ago and never posted something, that is a good chance of a spam bot, either that or someone who actually never got around to post anything and forgot about this foum entirely

2008-04-26 18:25:14

Well, yeah most of 'em are spam bots and such probably. Still cool to have 700 users, but most ask, say, a question, get their answer, and leave. That's what I was gonna do when I first joined but then realized that'd be disrespectful and stupid. I mean ask a question, get an answer and never post again lol

2008-04-26 19:12:19

Glad you stuck around Andy, you and Ryan are two of the people this place wouldn't be the same without. In fact I think that of most people who post at least semi regularly, but still. The more the merrier.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-27 01:49:54

well CX2 I honestly can say I appreciate what you just said because I post here almost everyday

Connor

2008-04-27 02:08:54

Yep. I also post pretty steadily (look at my post count). All that aside regular posters make this forum quite enjoyable. Speaking of forums, I hear a lot of the forums moved in 2005 or something? What were the older forums like?

2008-04-27 08:27:48 (edited by arjan 2008-04-27 08:28:51)

oh there used to be an old forum, it was scrapped when the site had a huge update and probably changed entirely. I have a file containing a lot of old stuff from there, which might even be around on the net, and if not i still have it. A couple of highlights which i remember from the old forum:
This brought me to an idea though. Let's make a list of things that we all remember from the old forum.
I have some.
Me posting to the forum at the age of 8 or 9. My horrible english. Me being absolutely weird and spamming the forum. Me stopping and some other weird person called bobbybob who spammed the forum some more. The occasional problem of some people having trouble with the post button when it wouldn't post at first, that is the page just wouldn't come up, and they clicked the post button again and again, and then the message was posted 12 times (this happened to me too a few times). Me, aaron and some others talking about freedom chat. The great and wonderful excitement when super Liam came out and the many many suggestions and things to it. The 'pph' person who told us of creating a project engine for audio games (i wonder what happened to that?)and lets not forget all the topics with people asking about getting stuck in chillingham and spoilers for said game.
I wonder who else besides me remains on this forum when the old one died. I know aaron and me, and zhtfreak used to be on there too i belive, and some of the game developers like munawar and Liam occasionally come by with updates or general discussions, and Archer too.
Come on guys, lets fill up the list.

2008-04-27 09:10:57

Hmmmm, well a quick glance at my registration date will reveal that I was slightly too late for the old forums, in fact it was only Bryan P sending me a private message on the Sryth forums about audio games that got me into this hole thing. i'd seen the page about the games on the whitestick site before, but quite honestly from the titles there everything seemed to be audio blackjack and other card games, which didn't particularly look fun at the time. i did read the docs for galaxy ranger quite early on in 2004 I think, but I panicked when it said you had to download and pay for the game sinse paying for Pc programs wasn't something I'd really thought of before, apart from obvious stuff like Hal, and anyway my old laptop with windows 95 wasn't exactly compatible.

I did once try the time adventures demo, sinse I'd been playing interactive fiction from about 2003, and liked the idea of something like that in sound, but it totally failed to run on my dinosaur of a laptop, so i forgot the idea.

It was Bryan recommending me Shades as an exploration game, the general goodness of Shades, and my then exhaustive research into what games were available on my ma year out in 2006 that lead me here.

and now look at where I am!

ooopse, what a nostalgia wrant, i can here the slow violine tune of flashbackness playing already, ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-27 16:20:11

oh and i remember some unknown person who impersonated game developers. Said that their games were out with some muhahahahahahahaish sentences to make it a lot less likely. On that old forum you didn't have to register.

2008-04-27 17:25:54

I remember my braille teacher had recommended me to this site and I had never looked at the little piece of paper she gave me during sixth grade,
but it was that of a monday morning, Labor Day, at say one in the morning, I went to it and I couldn't believe the game list, I downloaded hunter, but I was nervous about downloading, then I thought I could get the whole version for free, but I didn't understand the concept of the product key,

then Andy told me to register on the forum, and I am very happy I did, I have learned some lessons, made some aquaintences, and I always look forward to posting

Connor

2008-04-27 23:49:34

I remember someone telling me about SOD and sometime after I played what I called the unlawfer copy, they told me about this site. Needless to say I bought SOD and bought every game over getting it unlawferly. I figger if you do that good of a job you need to be paid. I missed place the key they gaved to me, forgot their name, and stayed as far from them as I could. Not because the fact I didn't like this site or SOD... Sometime after looking at the form for awhile, I desided to sign up.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-28 02:15:28

oh yeah and by then, I had already fallen in love with GTA so to speak, but I saw shades of doom at my camp for some reason, and I thought it was so cool to see a shooting game for the blind
even though SOD has other aspects to it

Connor

2008-05-10 10:10:09

I've been 'James' on the old forum since 2004.  All I really remember was the Alchemy drama... and that Conspirasoft, my awesome trade name deal, was recognized and loved by all who wanted shakey duck-hunting-style gaming action. Arjan, if you could send me that file somehow I'd like to read it if only to remember the one time I was considered one of the elite individuals who could call themselves game developers. My email is composed of my first name, followed by period, followed by D I E T Z  (my last name), followed by shift+2, and finally the domain oberlin dot edu.

P.S.,
The domain expired. I believe some crazy domain-snatching company owns it. I would surely like to snatch it back from them. Don't think it will be very active though, so don't jump on mine (though I might like the attention - I am human).

James

2008-05-10 13:14:29

Small note, the "shift + 2" is in a different position on many non-US layouts. You'd be surprised just how different the UK layout is, I was when I got my Pac Mate and found an @ over the 2 instead of over the apostrophe.

cx2
-----