2008-04-24 22:29:21

Hi all,
On the NLS download Pilot page
I signed up. I then got my BraillePlus (which came back!!) registered, with the help of  Michael Jones from LevelStar

So I then got my NLS key. But then. I forgot my NLS password! And I did not set a question when I signed up initially. So, I contacted the idiots at NLS and obviously got no response (why in the world would they be idiots if they responded, which they didnt!). So I'm wondering if there's a way to recover a lost password if you can't request a new password, deleted the email, and cannot get in touch with the NLS people. I guess I'm screwed, right? Or no?

2008-04-25 09:08:05

Well if you can't call them on the phone and they don't reply by email chances are you had better break out the screwdriver, sorry.

Though someone familiar with their service might know something I don't, I'm just going on my experience and knowledge of password retrieval on sites.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-26 07:15:04

Ok. If they dont reply, I'm gonna register again with my Gmail address and see what happens as this Pilot thing is really cool. It's free also if you're a patron of the service, i.e. you receive books on tape (a complete and utter screw-up if you ask me), in braille (much more practical), or large print (useless to me but perhaps not others).

2008-04-26 08:40:59

I like tape better, but anyway. It wasn't very smart to forget your password, but that aside, I know that if you contact companies, half of them will answer and the other half will just completely and utterly ignore you.

2008-04-26 15:36:01

Well naturally lots of people can't read Braille, myself among them. And since large print isn't an option for me...

Though personally being here in the UK I tend to favour audio CD, but have had good experiences experimenting with daisy.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-26 18:27:11

Yeah but with them tapes ya gotta count beep tones. Beep, chapter 1. Beep, page 3. Beep, chapter 2... Aaaaa!

2008-04-26 19:10:12

True, that's why I prefer CDs... partly. Other reasons include the ability to rip them to my PC, and the fact that tape players are getting harder to come by. CDs are easier and cheaper to produce these days anyhow so only being behind the times should stop anywhere from using them.

cx2
-----

2008-04-26 21:23:17

Tape players? Did you say...

The one I have is big enough that it'd be the same as 3 gigantic braillebooks. Yes it's that large, and besides it needs charging after every book or it starts playing the tape in reverse lol

That's partly why I wanted to go for the Pilot program--all it is really is the NLS tapes converted into digital. No replies yet, although if they worked on the weekends that'd be something, so I don't count those. Chase Crispin from the Icon list said he had the same problem, and he emailed 21 days ago and received no replies.  that's quite sad, but all that aside...

Also WebBraille is another one, it's just what it sounds like--braille on the web. If you have a braille note, icon, pac mate etc  you can read these books--and you dont need to know braille. Open it in FSEdit(pacmate), keyword(braille note), 51 (icon and braille plus), and word processor (braille and voice sense).

2008-04-27 07:52:09

I would imagine most of these sites requir you to be in the US though sadly, I know that was the case with Bookshare.

cx2
-----

2008-04-27 19:10:39

Well yeah that's true but the gootenburg project is public domain. It's ashame though, that many of these sites are for the US, because this wouldn't exactly help people such as cx2 who obviously isnt in the US etc.

2008-04-28 08:29:35

Trouble with public domain is you're stuck with really, really old stuff like Dickens which I had enough of at school... eek.

cx2
-----

2008-04-28 21:57:11 (edited by andy smith 2008-05-20 23:55:11)

LOL! Well, yeah I don't like public domain stuff either, just a suggestion for anyone looking for public domain materials. Audible.com probably isn't just for the US--if it is, I'll be extremely surprised. Also, graphicaudio.net is also a good source for very interesting materials.

2008-04-29 08:26:21

Actually there is a different branch of Audible.com for each country, and they can't share stuff from one country without extra permission... so most of the stuff on the US audible I was interested in I can't get.

cx2
-----

2008-05-20 23:54:11

Just a note:

The NLS disaster is no longer a disaster. I got my password reset and all. Works great now!

2008-05-21 14:15:01

That's great.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-05-21 23:02:01

Yeah, sure is. I suggest anyone who has a Victor Stream from HumanWare
Get the NLS Pilot, or if you don't have a Stream but want one, consider this if your in the US since it's awesome. If you have a Icon from LevelStar with version 1.1 of the Icon firmware, grab the  NLS.

Same goes for The  BraillePlus

Aside from books, there's also magazines!