2008-04-24 19:58:51

I've heard previously it was being worked on, and heard a rumble it might be getting close so I wondered what people's thoughts were.

I love GMA, but I must admit I think Mr Greenwood has completely missed the mark with this one. I mean what with Mushclient and the plug ins from Randy Laptop you can use Mushclient excellently with both Jaws and Window Eyes, and other screen readers should work to some extent with SAPI. Okay so the GMA client might have marginally easier set up, but there won't be anything noticable in it and the functionality in the mainstream and previously commercial Mushclient will be so much better... I just don't see how GMA can improve on it. They can maybe have a few speech related short cuts, but other than that I would still stick with Mushclient.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-25 07:51:54

well, I failed to get the randylaptop sapi stuff running properly when I tried so I'm actually vaguely interested in this one.

on the other hand though, Hal version 9 (which my upgrade Cd should be coming from dolphin any day now), has finally! got the ability to use script files written in lua, ---- apparently even jfw and window eyes script files will be quickly adaptable, so the possibility would exit to make monkey term or whatever run very rpoperly with Hal.

It's actually possible to do it now with the virtual focus, it's just that by the time I've located changes in status or new actions at the bottom of the screen, lots of time has passed, thus making it not practical for playing a mud with the required speed.

I will say though that it's nice to know gma are stil around and working, I was begining to count them out and think they could be going the same way as bsc and bavisoft.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-25 08:55:31

Hmm curious, maybe contacting him might help. I also recall there being a sapi plugin on the main mushclient site somewhere. If Hal can be scripted though like that then there is every possibility someone will be able to make a mushclient plugin. Frankly no other client I've tried with my screen reader comes anywhere near Mushclient, GMud is quick and easy but triggers are unreliable and functions are very basic... then Monkeyterm is far harder to learn to set up.

Oh, are you sure it was the Mushclient stuff you tried? Randylaptop previously had some stuff for Monkeyterm but that is  a completely different client. The mushclient stuff is more recent.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-25 10:51:18

It was indeed monkeyterm I tried and not mushclient, to be honest I thought mush client was a general term for a type of program, ie, a client for playing muds and mush and sutch, not the name of a specific program.

I'm fairly certain scripting will happen with Hal. As I said, the main pest at the moment is that things don't auto read, I have to go and find new info with the vf, the same way I do when playing interactive fiction. I'm fairly certain this would be doable if what dolphin told me over the phone about script files turns out to be true.

I should probably try mushclient, but I'll wait until i get Hal 9 installed properly first.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-25 11:27:53

Good thinking. Yes Mushclient is indeed a separate program, it is apparently one of the more popular mainstream clients. I can imagine though using the virtual focus is highly impractical for muds, interactive fiction might be fine but you just can't keep up with muds like that since they run in real time.

Just in case you're curious I looked up Mushclient on wikipedia and apparently it was first released in late 1995, and since it is still going strong and is now free and open source it has a lot of potential left in it still.

cx2
-----

2008-04-25 15:35:47 (edited by cw 2008-04-25 19:31:47)

Personally, I would not pay for a MUD cliant and hope that they work on  more games. Now if this cliant is free, then I might use it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-25 17:14:13

CW, that is M U D not M O D. Mod is something entirely different, and it would be bad to confuse the two.

cx2
-----

2008-04-26 08:37:08

we will have to see what they come up with. well randylaptop's home page is sort of dead so can anyone give me the direct link to the mushclient part?

2008-04-26 15:18:03

Works fine for me, but the link is http://www.randylaptop.com/article/MUSHclient

cx2
-----