2017-03-03 10:50:27

Hi all.
Nintendo Switch has just been released, properly world wide, and it seems quite interesting. You can read much more about the new console at the following link:
http://www.nintendo.com/switch/features/

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-03-03 12:34:14

Yes here's one thought don't put the cartridges in your mouth! big_smile People have actually tried that, and legend has it they taste really, really bad.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-03-03 14:05:40

Hahaha. It's difficult to believe that people really have done that.
I really like the idea of having both a home console hooked up to the tv but also a portable console in the same device. Maybe this console can play DS and 3DS games as well? That would be amazing.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2017-03-03 15:11:19

I've been interested in it for a while but having heard about sporadic issues as well as the launch lineup....I'll wait on it honestly. There's merely something about it that I can't put my finger on honestly.....but the ideea on paper sounds neat but....how accessible is it? Knowing Ninty, not very.

Then again.....if anyone made an accessible Animal Crossing for the Switch or Animal Crossing type game....well....there goes my weeks at a time

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-03-03 20:37:10

honestly? I think nintendo's screwed up again. They launched the thing at way too high a price, 280 pounds without a game isn't going to cut it in todays market where you can have a ps4, three months of plus and Horizon Zero Dawn for 50 pounds cheaper. That's strike 1. Strike two, When the payed online services does launch the monthly games you get with it are 1: going to be emulated snes/nes games, most likely downloaded from your site you get roms from and 2: you only get them for a month. Contrast that with games with gold where I've managed to get a large chunk of KI for free and it's mine until I let my subscription laps. Strike 3, they are charging full price for what should have been the pack in game, one two switch. If nintendo had packed this game in with the switch and given us a sub 200 pound pricetag I'd have been impressed. that's nintendo struck out but it keeps going... Strike 4, the dPad on the bundled controler is terrible so if you wanted the thing for fighters, forget it. You can of corse, have a better dPad for... you guessed it, More cash! An extra 65 pounds to be exact. That's us up to 345 pounds, UK pricing and we still haven't managed to get a game. We have also entered the ballpark of the launch price for the ps4 and you were getting a game with that. Strike 5: In console mode, it's still not that powerfull and developers won't like that. They won't like having to cut the game down to run on the switch they didn't like doing it on the WiiU, they won't like doing it here. I feel like it's going to be the WiiU all over again. Third party developers will be on board first, they'll release half arsed ports of multiplatform games, then just give up on it all together. The switch will get more zelda, more mario cart, more smash etc and the fans of the brand will buy into that while the rest of us think that we'd like to play, but will not pay the price. I do want this post to be proved wrong though

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-03-03 21:16:38

Hi.
in adition the console is lagging features which make seem this price not worth it. Firstly, this thing has almost no internal memory to save something on. While ps4 and xbox have around 500 GB max, the switch does have, what, 16 GB or so?
I also like the idea of a convertible console so to speak, but the starting lineup doesnt look so promising for blind players, maybe that street fighter game, but it will come out in late 2017. At the moment, this console has no worth for me and if there are not any new accessible games coming out, I dont see why I should get this.
The last console from nintendo I got was the Wii, and I have quite a bunch of games for it which are accessible and a heap of fun.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-03-03 21:22:43

@Simba: The Know have stated it's 32gb of internal storage but a game can take up to 30gb.

Yeah. No. Not interested. I like the premise of the Switch honestly, I like the idea of taking a console on the go. If I could somehow get a PS3/4 or X360/XB1 built into a case where I could open it and play after plugging in the system I'd rather do that honestly.

I've seen teardowns of the Switch that state it is indeed horrbly underpowered for what it is, but then again I've also heard reports that it struggles to run certain games at 30 fps (though again, translation may not be accurate and I'm having a hard time believing that). I was interested by the idea and the premise on the reveal trailer, sure, I'll admit, I was intrigued BUT....now the thing's out and after looking at Digital Foundry's teardown of the thing, I'm not impressed at all...

Also on Linux natively

2017-03-04 06:22:50

if anyone wants to grab one, I have a preorder from amazon, that I was planning to sell on ebay, but now have changed my mind. pre order expires sunday if interested. and I do want to play the street fighter that came out for it

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2017-03-04 10:56:29

The frame rate issues you're talking about are mostly a result of bad optimisation of the new Zelda game, which was originally developed for the Wii You. That's not to say the Switch isn't underpowered, because it is - it's running the GPU at a slower speed than it was designed to. That's probably partially for power management, they stuck a battery with around 4000 MAH into it which really isn't all that much if you consider that an iPad Air has a bigger battery and isn't even a games console and Apple isn't known for putting big batteries into their hardware. But yeah, the switch battery life isn't very good in portable mode, only around 2 or 3 hours for the games that are out now.

And lastly Accessibility probably won't exist for it, afaik it only has some basic support for high-contrast and if I understand the new FCC regulations correctly Nintendo isn't even being pressured too much into implementing text to speech as the regulations apply to devices that allow you to watch movies/TV, browse the web and I think communicate with people.  It was confirmed that the Switch will for now not have a web browser, won't support Netflix, Youtube or any other video streaming service and so far the Multiplayer hasn't launched yet but people are already disappointed that it will use a slow friend adding system involving entering long strings of numbers.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2017-03-04 11:32:23

Hi.
Do you know if the Switch supports the older Nintendo games like DS, 3DS and others? If not, then I won't consider getting the console, unless most of the accessible games comes out for it.
I don't see an issue about the limited storage if the only option is to have games on a memory card or a game disk. I think the specs page says it supports memory cards.
Regarding accessibility, I have no clue on how the console works. The thing I still really like is that you both have a handheld console and a tv console in the same unit.

Best regards SLJ.

2017-03-04 12:55:08

I don't see the Switch being a huge success really. Being cynical, Nintendo  got lucky with the Wii at the right time, the Wii U flopped spectacularly and then this....nah....I'm still not sold on the idea of it really.

Well no, the idea is fine, it's nice, but....ya know.....the lineup seems dire. Yes, there's Zelda, BOTW but.....aside from that the other launch titles seem pretty okay at best going by reviews and chatter about it, with Zelda the undisputed king of the lineup. Which is, unfortunately awful given you have to get the games seperately. Now I didn't catch on a livestream don by the Know (Rooster Teeth guys) if you can use discs but they did make a big point about how you download games from Ninty's servers, so I'm guessing you buy and download games now, a la Steam or Virtual Shop on the Wii U.

I never actually got on with the Wii U, the idea seemed nice but  it was just too clunky to my way of thinking. When a Wiimote works better than a tablet type controlller....you know you got issues. Hell I still play Animal Crossing City Folk on my Wii and that game is stupidly fun

Also on Linux natively

2017-03-04 15:00:18

@slj: I don't think the switch supports backwards compatability from what I've heard. I'm not going to pick one up until at least a few games come out for it, and even then, I don't know when that will be. As has already been mentioned here, accessibility's another point, although not full on necessary, at the same time, it's getting more important now.

2017-03-04 15:18:05

hThe thing with nintendo in my opinion is that they stick to concepts which had there big era some years ago and are not that successful anymore, personally I am not a fan of super mario version 3957384 or Zelda what ever game. Also, the number of game studios producing for nintendo are not that many, Ok, the wii and wii U had some more of them, but next to nintendo, who is still producing for their consoles?
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-03-06 05:55:29

General news around the water cooler is luke warm, although Nintendo's sporting a number of indie titles for the Switch on release that seem alright. Depending on how their relationship goes, and what horrifying "mobile" models they may have in mind, it might work. I've heard it mentioned that they're still supporting the 3DS along side the Switch, likely to hedge their bets if it doesn't pan out.

As for the console itself, well [this] article posted today about a visually impared man and his wife sharing a game on the Switch goes into detail about some of the Joy-Con controllers haptic feedback capabilities, so there may be some potential for accessibility there.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-03-06 06:13:38

If this thing has no screen reader, it's not worth it JMO.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-03-06 06:21:45

oh god... just oh god.
This is comedy gold.
Steve jobs told everyone that they were holding their iPhone 4s wrong. What nintendo should have done here, instead of writing an entire article was say your  house is wrong.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-03-11 10:23:22 (edited by pulseman45 2017-03-11 10:25:09)

Personally I think the Switch is more likely to fail than not. Though imust say, I was not especially interested by the idea of a hibrid console. Maybe that is due to the fact I mostly play solo, though I still play with my brother on PS4 from time to time.
I didn't get to know how the console looks like, but from what I understood from the general opinion It seems that the console fails to be both a good home console due to technical limitations and a good handheld due to very low battery life. So I'll probably pass on it.

2017-03-11 19:13:05

I'd rather have a classic.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-03-11 19:57:06

I got to try one the other day and....honestly....not impressive for a few reasons

1. Lack of decent games currently. Oh there's Zelda, sure, but....ya know....nah. Not feeling it.

There's a few others but it feels like the Wii launch all over again when that had a few titles but that had something that was at the time new, novel and innovative. The Switch....doesn't. Beside, the whole take it anywhere feature, nah...and if I wanted that I could rig up aconsole to a TV and turn it on.

2. Hardware

Maybe it was the fact I was screwing around with it but the hardware itself didn't feel impressive. I mean, okay, I'm used to my top of the line laptop, and mid range desktop and PS3/X360 (borrowed that is) but hey, the hardware felt like it wasn't doing nything incredible for me personally. Sure, Zelda ran smoothly but...it just felt workmanlike, asif it was going oh here you go, gameplay, instead of jumping up and grabbing my attention.

3. Pricing:

What were they trying to do?

Also, thanks for that tech support page link. That is pure awesome. I don't know which is funnier, the actual one or the parody ones that have been floating around online....yet the actual one is pretty much a parody  of itself by now.

Also on Linux natively