2017-02-19 21:38:48

Hey to all!

I wonder if there are some old dos text or ascii RPG-roguelike games wich are accessible enough for us?
I am not sure but i think someone mentioned a game named Moria some time ago?
I searched the internet and found a lot of text-RPG's developed in the late 1980 and the early 1990. Is there anything i should try?
Its just a little question in my mind.
Maybe cause i played a lot of or too much crawl stonesoup the last days!:-)

2017-02-19 23:29:57

The only one I can remember being any good was Fallthru. It's played more like a mud though, not a roguelike. That is, it does have stats and RPG things to raise, but it's not displayed with ascii characters.

I don't really remember sticking with or liking any of the others. There's a game I've always wanted to try called Beyond Zork that's an RPG set in the zork universe, but it's for Mac only and probably only the really old macs.

2017-02-20 12:27:59

eHmmm, I thought beyond zork was the graphical zork game which was an updated version but I don't axknow.

My absolutely favourite of course is Eamon, through the Eamon delux system. I really hope more development goes into that, especially now that we have talking dosbox to help people get it running on silly modern windows.
Fallthru is pretty good, indeed it's one of my favourite games of that sort.

I did dig out a couple like braminar, the game drone was based on and some old rpg games like paul pank's westfront, but I've not had luck in many besides fallthru.

the Ner bbs prject was a really great thing and had some extremely good old rpgs like usurper and of course tradewars, indeed if your interested in tradwars style games, try out star ship traders, which is a browser remake of a dos console game, indeed two of them and is very fun to play if rather conusing to play well.

As to roguelikes, I've never had any luck making sense of the interface with a screen reader.
the only roguelike I have made a lot of inroads into is Angband and it's various versions, due to a lot of helpful features such as a very handy look curser, an ability to list onscreen objects and monsters and for me at least, the large and visible graphic tile, however I don't think angband is quite playable without looking at the large tiles to get over all positional information and ideas on walls and the environment, though it's probably worth a look.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-20 21:48:16

So, I have a question related to this. I think there are quite a few people that like or would like a rogue-like game. One of the things I like is solving some of the tactical problems--you have to deal with a mob of monsters and how do you best accomplish that with what you have and the layout of the current dungeon. There are also other aspects people enjoy. But the problem with most rogue-likes seems to be the interface.  What would a rogue-like be like if we reimagined the interface to be accessible while retaining the things we like about rogue-likes?

2017-02-21 12:38:08

Try kerkerkruip for a great example of a game that presents many of the same tactical decisions about a roguelike, but with an interactive fiction, or more standard text rpg interface.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-21 19:17:37

Beyond Zork can be played with a Frotz interpreter. You can get it here.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce