2017-02-17 21:54:35

Linux users,
I don't really have an idea as to what I'm doing wrong, and its irritating knowing that I've done this a couple times before. Anyway, for those who use a Debian GUI. I boot up the installer with s then enter to start the talking OS installer. All goes well selecting language, all that stuff until the next reboot. The login prompt comes up, but no speech. Anyone have an idea of something I'm doing wrong here?
Thanks

2017-02-18 03:27:05 (edited by hacker 2017-02-18 03:36:37)

hi cartertem: If you installed a gui which uses gdm, press windows alt s to start orca. If using the console, type your username, hit enter, wait about 4 to 5 seconds to make sure the password prompt is up, then type in your password. Once you're logged in, assuming you're using bash as your default shell, when you hit backspace, if you're logged in correctly, you should hear the 750 mhz console beep. If not, rince, wash and repeat the login process. Once you're logged in, type in the following: su -c "systemctl start espeakup", type in your root password, and give that enter key a wacking it'l never forget. If you're using sudo to make root things happen, it's sudo systemctl start espeakup. If you're using debian from the age of the dinosaurs, which uses init.d scripts, instead of systemctl start espeakup, it'll be /etc/init.d/espeakup start. For installs where you set a root password, it's su -c "/etc/init.d/espeakup start", and for our friend good old sudo, it's sudo /etc/init.d/espeakup start. In case there's a bit of confusion, for sudo, you use your user's login password. I'm also pretty sure that with certain versions of debian, regardless of init.d or systemd, the init.d method should always work. hth

2017-02-18 04:58:31

I've had this happen a few times when I try to install a Debian VM. I
ll try to make a new one and see if this works.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce