2017-03-02 15:04:47

o write

Thumbs up

2017-03-02 15:50:35

Nobody knows what's gonna be in the update so just wait and see. I've a hunch that it's gonna be interesting though. No. I'm not involved in testing it (I wish), I did that on the old server and was on at stupid hours giving feedback and talking shit with you lot. That being said....if any of my suggestions I've ent in make the cut I will be impressed.

Though, guys. Hold off on the feature requests until the update is out, Danny's probably not wanting to get bogged down in omg I want this feature posts, or omg this update loooks so cool posts.

Let me clue you in on a secret of game development. A good developer does not show all their features right away. It's marketing.

Marketing? I hear you ask. There's no money involved.

True. But this is a different type of marketing. Danny is marketing the not in terms of money, but emotions, he's put a few features out there that got people to go ooooh and got them invested in the update, emotionally invested that is...and here's  awarning.

Don't, and people, if you only read one bit of the post, DO NOT hype the update to high heaven because you will inevitably be disappointed. You will expect things the update can't possibly do.

Why am I saying this? Ever heard of a little game called No Man's Sky? Oh it came out last year, space based game, you collect reosources, you fix your ship and go from planet to planet. Hm, sounds familiar, right? Sounds like an interesting game. Well...the issue was that the hype got out of control and the game launched with fans having sky high expectations. THe game, admittedly, launched in a poor state but even if it'd launched decently....it would never have lived up to expectations.

Point is, for this update.....don't ever go hyping anything up, be it games, books, TV, music and so forth Because you will inevitably be disappointed.

That being said, Danny, don't rush the update. From my PoV being involved in game dev (and I know I've mentioned this to you before) I know how the cycle goes, and I also know not every single feature makes the final build. Just put in the stuff you want to put in that works, is fun, and stays true to what the update promises, and I for one will be a happy player.

Also, I will laugh if I run across a Gavin. You know what I mean there tongue (Seriously. Why doesn't he have his own planet yet? If you ever add him...he better live up to his reputation)

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

Thumbs up

2017-03-02 15:59:11

@draco Who's Gavin? Oh and I know, Draco. I'm checkin this topic periodically. Itll be interesting to see how this game will develope. And I agree
theres no need to rush anything.

Thumbs up

2017-03-02 16:25:49

Is a new version out? Or is the update on the server?

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-03-02 16:36:23

Nice info, but i appeal that create a game in offline mode which will run for ever!

Thumbs up

2017-03-02 17:57:24

@Caio, the only Gavin I know of is a fictional character from The Lightbringer saga.

2017-03-02 18:48:15

The Gavin character reference I made (and ohters too) is a nod to an in joke on the server about Gavin.

I won't say who he is but he definitely is a real person. He's not fictional. And he's..well...he's an interesting person but he doesn't do things by halves. If he's gonna do something he does it all the way and then some. And always does things in style.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-03-02 19:10:16

@the person who inquired about something to do with ships not using menus, I had it set up like that in an extremely early version of the code, it ended up getting the axx because it proved to be difficult when navigating at the speeds that our ships would normally travel, such as 1000. By difficult, I mean by the time you herd something, you had most likely already flown right through it, which would then usually result in a lot of you having to turn back, essentually you were constantly resseling with the controls. I'd be open to such a system again if a solution could be figured out to get around that. As for the question of earth being over crouded, the building system is avaylable on all planets. Like I said, the code is the server as it was when I killed it yesterday, with the acception of the new features, so the space system is exactly as I left it.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

Thumbs up

2017-03-02 19:30:01

So when we start a character can we choose our starting planet?

I'd ideally prefer something out of the way for my....eh....interests, ya know?
Also I know exactly how those controls are. Escape Volicty and Transcendence have the same setups and tehy are a complete and utter pain, because you're constantly fighting motion and momentum too.

Honestly....I like the menu system. It's simpler and easier. Plus. It feels more sci fi, it feels like ST:TOS

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-03-02 20:12:33

I have a sort of solution for the old problem, Danny. Put a beep on the target. So people would be able to hear it and would be able to slow down
their ships accordingly. As in you hear the beep too close and you press the deacceleration key a few times this way when you zero in on the beeping,
you'll be able to start with your maneover. I'm a fan of this system because it allows space combat to be a more... Should we say viceral thing in
the sense you'll have to dodge fire and fire back at your oponent.. I think it gives things a more.. Action feel. Well just my thoughts really.

Thumbs up

2017-03-02 20:27:10

Another idea could be to scale the ship speed by a certain amount, so if it is displaying 1000 it is actually moving at 100for gameplay purposes..

That to my mind seems a fair trade off. You don't screw with the ship speeds and such but you go and make it playable either way.

That being said I wouldn't mind both systems being in place honestly, with the arrows maybe being a sort of manual flight mode.

Perhaps if you wanted the menu system you have to buy an upgraded computer or something, just as an example of a system that could work.

Or, conversely, you could remove menu flight system by wya of disabling or removing a system entirely.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-03-02 20:30:15

Makes sense. We would have the best of both worlds. The arrows system would be as you said a sort of manual flight system and the menu would be left
for autopilot.

Thumbs up

2017-03-03 21:17:17

Here's hoping the update is as good as I personally think it will be.

Thing is I just know some people are gonna hype it up and hype it up and hype it up then inevitably be disappointed....

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-03-04 01:40:35

I like where this game is going! but I'm not sure what's wrong, but when i try to play single player or offline cant remember what it's called, i just get this beeping sound, or is that off as well?

Thumbs up

2017-03-04 01:51:49

he hasn't put single player in yet.

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

Thumbs up

2017-03-04 05:50:40

khup chan  so nice   but  lavdya nee   swataha cha  ghamand  controll madhay thevava   translation: building wil  include  make are own space station or  any planetory boddy or  space system/

Thumbs up

2017-03-04 21:48:01

yay waiteing for new installment

Thumbs up

2017-03-06 03:54:59

i cant even connect i downloaded the game from the link at the first post  made in this forem by danny am i missing something?

Thumbs up

2017-03-06 10:52:17

I don't know It also, why this game doesn't work. Maybe, this is problem of server.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

Thumbs up

2017-03-06 11:10:08

Maybe it doesn't work because you missed Danny's last post?

Short version. Update's being worked on and server was stopped according to his last post.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-03-06 23:50:08

HO can i read that when  there  are like 100000000000000000 posts in here?

Thumbs up

2017-03-07 00:46:22

cause its near the end of the page.

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

Thumbs up

2017-03-07 09:27:01

so i am spost to read through every single page of this p thred to find one post?like i have all that time? aarg? you could be a little more helpfull and less rood you no?

Thumbs up

2017-03-07 10:24:57

I see noone  being rude here, sir, haha
the  announcement is at post 139
I am really looking forward for the update too

Thumbs up

2017-03-07 11:04:52

sir? lol? fail whail?

Thumbs up