2017-02-22 18:52:52

the server is down

For me, the new coding age begins!

Thumbs up

2017-02-22 19:14:04

Yes it is. It's been down since Danny said he was gonna go test things and do things.

No telling when it'll be back up though so keep waiting patiently. All you can really do. And no, demanding Danny put the server back on won't make it happen any quicker.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

Thumbs up

2017-02-22 19:23:40

i kind of need to get back on there, because some stupid person called lister got us at like 2000000 2000000 2000000 on auto pilot, he wouldn't stop fiddling with it

Thumbs up

2017-02-22 19:26:41

Nobody  but Danny knows if  or when the server is gonna come back online though.
Also, you deserved that, it was extremely funny watching you guys freak out on the chat and going off on Lister, and completely and utterly forgetting how the game wored. Thank you for the entertainment by the way, it was much appreciated.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-02-22 20:01:13

well, when i went off in the morning it was on course for earth, muhahahahahaha, no more 10000000000 10000000000 10000000000 krap, i'll dock to sole and get off the ship

Thumbs up

2017-02-22 20:21:39

Key word: WAS

Besides, now the server's down I can put my thoughts on virtual paper, some snark, some critique, and some opinion.

Snark:

If you're gonna go on a beta and whine about it's not complete, read the fucking thread and understand it's a beta, k? It's not complete. It's nowhere near complete in fact and oh yes...things are subject to change. Do people who whine have any clue how games are made? Spoiler: It takes time and effort and decisions. Features get added, changed, dropped and so forth in any game development. Even the simplest games get changed from concept to coding to release.

Critique:

Danny: I enjoy talking with him on the server and I know when to shut the hell up and when I can joke around. He's possibly too patient with people at times though.

Others: Really, there's been some people who scream for an admin over the tiniest little inconesquential bug. Bugs get added to a to do list and fixed in time. It's not instant. Also, demanding things from an admin is definitely a no no, as is demanding stuff from other players. I'll admit, I've told people to GTFO my ship, not in those exxact terms and usually a lot nicer, though I did go off on one player who managed ruin a Youtube demo I was making....and IMO totally and utterly deserved that tirade of anger for ruining a video.....

Opinion:

I like what we had till the server went down. It was pretty good. I mean. I've been in actual, honest to god betas where it's nothing but a map and you're given orders to test certain features to ensure they work. I've been in glorified press demo 'betas' which are the norm where everyone gets access nd Youtube videos are made.

That being said I relish the chance to be in an actual beta frankly. That being said....I saw people complaining there's nothing to do in the beta once they'd got a ship, salvaged a few times and landed on Earth and Sol then they got bored and left. THat to me shows the mindset of a player. Being in a beta isn't about playing with the cool toys and then moving into the next one. I can pull out a quote from a former game dev who explained in my last big AA project what a proper alpha/beta is. In fact. I will put it here

You're testing a beta. It's not about who can play the game the best. I want you guys to go out and test the stuff in the threads, I want feedback from everyone no matter if you're on a keyboard, wheel, joystick, gamepad, or whatever, I want people to go out and break things, I want you to go off the course and find bugs in the terrain, I want you to scour the cars and say what's wrong with them and why. I want you guys to work your asses off to make this the best <game name removed> game the best release.

THe irony of the above quote? The game in question shipped with broken features because people were more interested in playing with the cool toys rather than doing actual bug finding and reporting work. Oh and that dev team refused to acknowledge bugs.

So...compared to that studio, and I can't go into details as I'm still technically under an NDA.....Danny's a hell of a lot better to help test with, you can at least talk to him without corporate bullshit of going through managers and taking it up the chain, you can have a laugh and a joke with Danny but you can also be uber serious.

In short. I like Danny's style of adminning. As to whether this should have been released, a point I saw on chat much earlier on....I'll pass on that one for now.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-02-23 02:07:58

So the server is back up but things are sort of weird, with random stuff seemingly missing or put in random spots, like Sol station is nearly unusable in some areas. due to missing walls, and elevators for instance

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-02-23 09:50:55

server is  up

Thumbs up

2017-02-23 12:46:51

Greetings all. I've started on the offline story, and now when you start you start on the international space station instead of sol station. Sol station is soon to be destroyed, i'm hoping the international space station will not have neerly as much of the ishues sol station did.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

Thumbs up

2017-02-23 13:40:31

yay finally single player  option  is  geting  its  tritment hahah good ... international space station sounds cool

Thumbs up

2017-02-23 19:19:00

So I got a question.

What is the deal with the freaking battlecruiser anyhow? It's useless right now. You can't do anything wit it. It is a giant waste of credits, and it's got to thepoint that the admin's one is stolen every time somebody sees it by a certain few people.

What, exactly, is the obsession with it. I said obsession is because that's what it is. It's a meainingless, virtual in game item, it has no physical tangible value, it is merely a collection of code that costs a certain in game amount. And it is useless.

Even the server admin stated the ship is useless and is a waste right now.

So why the hell is everyone going crazy over it? Is it because it's a shiny new toy for them to play with? I prredict one they get one, it'll be played with for a bit then people will get bored and start demanding more updates, which may or may not happen.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-02-24 04:41:55

Why i cannot login, after I type my name and nothing happen, my account is Rio

2017-02-24 05:59:05

Restart your client a few times, that happened to me as well, had to restart and fixed itself.

Also, pro tip: 140 million in each coodinate means a looooooong trip back

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-02-24 06:48:54

hey danny! Yup for the offline mode!

Thumbs up +1

2017-02-24 09:37:22

autopilot  is buggy write now  but server is offline 2

Thumbs up

2017-02-24 10:57:58

server has death. I appeal please live it

Thumbs up

2017-02-24 11:00:41

online game is very best. Danny if you need i can make donation for this lovely game dm. Offline and online too.

Thumbs up +1

2017-02-24 12:24:36

I must be the only one that can connect 9 out of 10 times usually.....but there's probably a reason why it's down so just sit tight and be patient.

Also, I seem to have taken a certain person's spot for making various people spit their drinks out laughing at chat remarks or actions. Or, just ship names in general.

Oh and....I swear I left my ship at some stupidly high number like 80 million when I checked earlier.. I like this bit of space. It's quiet, it's secluded and I can relax here...

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-02-24 14:28:59

where is new update link?

If that's helpfull, why don't you press Thumbs up?

2017-02-24 14:51:12

there's no new version.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

Thumbs up

2017-02-24 15:10:28

server is closed.

If that's helpfull, why don't you press Thumbs up?

2017-02-24 15:46:17

Yep the server's down for a while and there's not much we can do except wait.

Pestering Danny will only make it be down longr or not come back up at all.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-02-24 20:00:01

Grarg, I thought I fixt the logging in and connecting functions not being restarted bug. I'll have a tinker with it, see if I can get any of them to restart.

Thumbs up

2017-02-24 20:10:58

Danny, quick question, this is something I've noticed on my I7 laptop (Yes, I got an I7 laptop BE JEALOUS!)

It seems everything is sped up on it. Am I simply imagining that the game is tied to CPU speed or am I actually on to something?

I noticed it feels slower on my main PC, but I'm not entirely sure I'm actually on to anything. I may be simply imagining the game is playing faster on a faster machine.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-02-24 23:45:55

That would explain why the game stutters on my computer when alt tabbing and doing other tasks, i've never been able to find a solution. @everyone else, i've coded the start to the security system. As it stands now, doors will be unable to open if you are not an owner on every object, though since older ships don't have owners this won't come into affect until I finish off the owner system. Once I have all of that finished, I can then move on to other activities.

Thumbs up