2017-06-01 08:49:25

Unfortunitly, at the moment, its not on my todo list, my main priority right now is getting the game back up and running, since i've taken a bit longer with this update than I usually like to and I don't exactly like to have stuff down if I know I have a big update coming out. Normally, I wouldn't have taken the server offline during this procedure, I took it offline at first to attempt to iron out some more cpu usage and lag bugs, and ended up recoding a lot more than I initially intended. Not to mention I had my brief move to another state which didn't exactly work out, that also got in the way of coding on the update although it did give me back the modovation I needed to continue working on the game. As a result i'm now way far behind on what i'd like to get done on the update, so i've been working on it day and night since I got back to try to catch up on the workload. However, in game planning I think i've reached a compramise between the online and offline modes, i'm not sure if I mentioned it before but my idea is this. Since people have expressed they didn't like the ending of the original project alpha, and since their are those who do miss what dmnb had, myself included, my idea is this. To leave the ending of the offline story open ended, setting up the stage for the online mode. The online mode will still have a dmnb like setup to it, and maybe after I finish the storyline I can look into adding some story baste missions to the online mode as well. Before you all slam your keyboards down in annoyance, no, i'm not going to make it like the past 2 dmnb versions, meaning, i'm not going to set it to some random year in the past before the offline storyline and leave it to just activities and make it mud stile. I'll still have activities, but to factor in the strawl/the race that used to be known as project alpha's creations, i've had the idea to make them a space fairing capable species. This actually allows me to address a few key plot points in the storyline, such as how the ship in the offline story came to have the strawl abord, allows for encounters with the strawl in ground combat in online play just like in offline, and still allows us to get the best of both past games, dmnb and the original project alpha. I still don't have any idea as to when i'll be able to release the update, if I can't finish what I started for online i'd at least like to have level 1 of the offline storyline done and overwith, as I can continue to work on online mode while people are still playing. Not to mention having something out and playable while i'm working on the next update decreases the stress.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

Thumbs up

2017-06-01 11:04:28

Well, this actually sounds good, I'm hoping for a Linux version or the Windows .exe to run with WINE.

Also, would it be possible to ditch the instaaller and just go with an extractable ip file for the game? Also, personally, I do like the sound of it, but I do wonder though how the game will work in first person. I'm half expecting it to work out well honestly, so I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of walking through the ship.

Here's hoping for the Linux version of the game though, if it's in a .zip file or the Windows version in a .ip fileW

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

Thumbs up

2017-06-01 21:58:38

Personally I prefer sticking to the installer for windows, but for linux i'll have to see what I can do. I've got my linux vm up and running, though i'm considering installing ubuntu along side windows if that's at all possible with windows 10 being on this machine to make it easier for me to test, not to mention i'd probably use linux full time if their were enough playable games on it. Anyways, an update. I've got enemies coded, including weapons. Porting them to online shouldn't be too big of a deal, meerly sending triggering events server side that should trigger the enemies spawning client side should be good enough. This means i'm closer to releasing an update now. If I at least finish off some activities and things to do online side, and rap up where i'm at with the storyline now, then I can release the update and let you guys have at it while I continue to work.

Thumbs up

2017-06-02 04:26:40

@Danny:

Gonna shoot you an email to help with that actually if you care to read it, as the guides don't explain a few little steps.

Either way... my worry with the game is you'll railroad us all down the same story path and people will in effect just gear their shit to go and power through the story and forget about the other side of the game.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-06-02 04:43:35

A private message would be better, since I no longer have access to the e-mail I registered here with. As for the storyline, i've debated the best way to get around that ishue, as I see both sides of the coin. On one hand, I agree with those who say that the online should at least have something to do with the offline story, instead of just being an audio mud with a buntch of things smushed together. On the other hand, the problem with the storyline approach is that you can't simply take it to online, come up with a story and say go. Mainly because its event baste and limits possibilities for online play. I've been debating intraducing it as a missions system, where you could still rome about the game doing activities but could run into various missions which would further the story, or at least be rellivant to the plot of the game after the offline storyline has ended.

Thumbs up

2017-06-02 07:16:53

Danny: You can just change your mail on your profile on the forum. Or, maybe they have removed that feature?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-06-02 07:45:23

PM sent, there ya go....and for both sides of the coin, agreed but it needs to be a happy medium between the story and the other stuff to do (see my PM for thoughts if it sent properly), IMHO if people power through the game they get bored and give up, if they get stuck at some point, they give up.

As an aside, why not release the SP story in chunks or episodes once you finish one part, release it, then release the next part X weeks or days later, and so on till the SP story is done? Just a thought

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-06-02 07:46:42

Something I just got told and it came from my own writing: Why not, Danny, have the online be a parallell to the offline story running alongside it but not meeting up with it?

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-06-02 08:52:23

The releasing the storyline in bits with each new update is something i've done for quite a while now, in fact its a lot easier to do that for me as if I try to cram it all into one big 6 to 1 year work fest with out release and feedback, I lose intrest in the project. Having the storyline for both online and offline run along side each other is something that could possibly work, another suggestion I got is to make the offline storyline a sidestory. I'd ideally like to still keep the strawl in as an alien race like in the original project alpha, as one of the cheaf complaints about dmnb was that their were no aliens to battle and hardly any ground combat. I could do something like what the canceled fortune's frontier project was going to do, in that I could write up the beginning for the storyline, and place it online, and then possibly still have an offline mode, however it could be ritten into missions that detail various key points throughout the story. That'd also provide an insentive to have a roleplay atmosphere for online, since players would be contributing to the storyline. The one problem with that idea is doing it like that eliminates any form of structure in the storyline. Unless we possibly set it up in such a way so that the online portion of the game would have a constant and expanding storyline where the galaxy is constantly open to conflict, and an offline mode which would only get new missions baste on importent events that would further the conflict. I'll give the ideas some thought. @slj Thanks, i'll have a look.

Thumbs up

2017-06-02 16:00:41

I like the online always conflict idea.

2017-06-02 19:48:41

I like the idea, in theory. Here's the major problem, in order to keep the galaxy expanding and changing, alliances rising and falling, wars breaking out and being resolved, you'd have to have more than one person working on the thing. You'll probably have to do a lot of coding, and if you want to have the galaxy be as dynamic as you want it to be you'd need story writers and event planners.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

Thumbs up

2017-06-04 06:27:01

Yes but games like that have to be managed carefully or they'll just devolve into a mass of people wanting ot hang on to power any way possible. Been in thosee games, they are zero, I men ZERO fun at all when it's mud slinging from the players who don't want to give up what they got.

Honestly it's starting to sound a bit similar to certain other MMO space games, both audio, and mainstream, EVE online jumps to mind to be honest. I do think DMPA needs to stand out and attract its own audience.

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-06-06 04:40:33

Greetings all. I've managed to finish off asteroid mining, its the same as the previous system with a bit of a twist. When you reach an asteroid, you will have to lock it into place before you can mine it. This means your ship has to have a tractor beam installed, and how far away you can be from the asteroid to pull it into range depends on your tractor beam's range. It also depends on your tractor beam's speed. In addition, i've rebuilt the starting ship. Its now a 5 roomed configuration craft, 1 room for the airlock, another acting as a hub between all the ships sections, 1 acting as the systems bay which houses all your ships systems including your sensor array and tractor beam, a cargo bay with enough space for 10 peaces of cargo and a control room to let you fly the ship. When flying it, you only have manual pilot to rely on. I've got just a few more tests to run and a few more things to do, mainly involving level 1 of the offline story, then, the game will be ready to go back up. Oh, and for the online story. I'm going to wait to start putting it in until the offline story is complete.

Thumbs up

2017-06-06 06:20:53

Oh oh oh, I can't wait to play this. Awesome work.

Thumbs up

2017-06-06 10:59:01

Officially interested again.

Oh Danny y did you get the dual boot setup to work at all? Please, put a Linux version out ASAP so I can hang out on the server again. I even got my character and ship name picked out, and I'll even fire my skype up once again for certain people....

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-06-07 08:13:27

Greetings all! This isn't quite the update I anticipated on releasing, but here you go. With offline storyline, first person gameplay and... surprise, a linux version... all ready for you to play around with. Note, i'm still working on the new building system, and since that is server side, that will be largely unavailable for a few days while I iron it out and get it working for ships. For skills, I suggest the pilot class. Their are afew known bugs, such as when getting off a cargo lift in the offline story the game may sometimes freeze, i'm still looking into this. I've also hopefully fixt the packet loss bug, at least to the point where its no longer a hinderance to gameplay. The only activity to do for online is asteroid mining, however you can try out the manual pilot system, if you need help with the keys ask me over chat. With all that out of the way, Here are the links. For windows... https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdy332tojpgti … p.exe?dl=1 and for linux... https://www.dropbox.com/s/vadfcfh9oqdf4 … ux.7z?dl=1 Note, read the INSTALL for linux if your on ubuntu. Enjoy!

Thumbs up

2017-06-07 09:01:26

So....uh....slight bug in the instructions

sudo apt-get build-dep speech-dispatcher

e: Cannot find source

Is it possible to just run the windows .exe under WINE?

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-06-07 09:04:19

That's an easy fix. Do the following sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list, and search for #deb-src. Remove the # out of every line you find with deb-src in it. Then save, and do sudo apt-get update

Thumbs up

2017-06-07 09:07:53

Nothing found for debsrc in that file actually, and I'm running a fully updated Mate 16.04

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-06-07 09:23:37

Its deb-src, with the dash between the deb and src

Thumbs up

2017-06-07 09:28:16

Still nothing found, I'm hunting down the source code to just go from there but of course it all goes back to the same command. Which is odd

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2017-06-07 09:29:40

hello big_smile
does the server down?
and oh, I just played the offline mode through the tractor beam part, I am not sure what to do there , but I already align the thing correctly somehow.

Thumbs up

2017-06-07 09:47:20

Hi, for the lever simply hold down after you lock onto it with the tractor beam until it goes all the way. As for the server it was up, though the connection thread crashed, I forgot about trying to give that the proper fix before release. Try it now.

Thumbs up

2017-06-07 10:28:28

still I think, manage to connect a bit, but after I entered the password there is nothing happend, now the game stays on the connecting message

Thumbs up

2017-06-07 10:51:01

Alirght got connected, but....no idea where the friggint erminal is, I've been following the sound and going in circles.

Any help would be appreciated or a menu to show where stuff is related to your position

Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up