2017-02-13 18:22:49

Well, I've decided that it was probably time to give NVda a go. It's something I've been thinking of trying for a long while, and as I've got a new windows 10 machine, this seemed like a good idea.

So, a couple of questions.
I've read the userguide, and checked other information, and it seems to be working fairly  (at least when I stopped giving me chapter and verse about every single control in every single webpage).
I'm not sure about when to use some of the different mode related commands, eg, browse mode, system carrot etc, but I'm sure I'll pick those up at some point.
However, a couple of other things I am interested to know.
first, is there a way to control punctuation is spoken and when? after all, I tend to want and capitals while I'm typing, but not when I'm say reading a long  document.  I find the amount of time I'm hearing "blank line" even when reading a web page a bit crazy.

In the same way, is there way to simply shut Nvda's voice off? for example if I were listening to several files in Vlcmedia player and didn't want them all constantly announced each time I switched to a  new track.

then, I wonder about getting different areas of web pages. For example, when I hit download in ie 11, I'm told an alert pops up, but not what it is for exactly. Similarly, I am finding that sometimes I end up tabbing myself out of the main text on the page and into the various control bars and such, which is a bit wierd.
Lastly, I wonder about emulating mouse clicks, eg, right and left context menus. I've done it so far with using spacebar and the applications key, but there are times when I want something a bit more direct.

Obviously I've just started and haven't tried anything major as yet in terms of other programs, I'm messing about on the forum and with a couple games etc, but I'm liking what I see thus far.

whether I'll be switching to NVda as a primary screen reader I'm not sure yet, we'll see what works well with what.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-13 18:38:04

most of these answers can be found in the users guide
1: the symbol pronunciation dialogue is your best friend, and/or your punctuation level which can be changed by NVDA+P, or in one of the preference dialogues
2: NVDA+s, again your best friend
3: I personally can't actually help here, but I also do not use IE, so...
hopefully someone else can clarify this one, but regardless I'd recommend turning use screen layout off in browse mode settings to make controls actually show up separately
lastly, not knowing which keyboard layout you're using I can only recommend checking out the key reference, which can be accessed from the help menu
there is a section for mouse commands

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2017-02-13 19:15:27

I use NVDA as my primary screen reader. I use FireFox as my primary browser. Agreed with the answers in post 2. If you go to the tools menu, you can go to manage addons. then tab to get addons and it will load the addons home page in your default browser. You may find quite a lot of these useful.

2017-02-13 20:11:23

you want to manage your addons? pres nvda + n, then tool, then manage addons. thanks for reading.

If that's helpfull, why don't you press Thumbs up?

2017-02-13 20:15:29

Hi.

I've found the nvda +p command, but it seems to control symbols irrespective of what is actually going on. eg, whether I am reading an entire document or whether I'm tabbing through links etc.
In Supernova it was always possible to vary the level of punctuation when doing different reading tasks, since while you might want things like comma and  capitals while writing, you probably wouldn't want them read too much. Ditto with numbers are spoken.
While Nvda does seem to have ways to change levels of spoken punctuation they seem pretty general not specific to situations, unless I've got this wrong.  Also, from the user guide and from experimenting, nvda +s doesn't seem to do much really, it either turns speech off or just causes speech as beeps, which is probably okay if your using a  braille display but not likely for just writing normally, unless I've misunderstood this function.

I'll try the layout thing and see how it works.
I've looked through the users guide and also at the addons, there are some  interesting ones I think, indeed I've already got the one for vlc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-13 21:03:51

Hi Dark.
There is an Add-on that was made by ogomez92 that gets rid of "beeps" from NVDA+S, so speech is either turned on or off, rather than on, beeps, then off, which is very useful, and in my opinion, makes things a bit easier. You can get it at http://oriolgomez.com/files/speechNoBeeps.nvda-addon, if you're interested.

2017-02-13 21:08:26

If you want to change the punctuation during say all:
go into the nvda menu
select configuration profiles
hit new
enter a name and select say all as it's activation trigger
activate the profile
make the changes to punctuation, or voice, if you want to
deactivate the profile

you can get into alerts in ie by hitting f4 and shift tab a couple of times, maybe there is a better way to do it. But you should probably give firefox a try too, since most nvda users/developers use it, so it's slightly faster and has less alerts and more plane dialogs.
If you are feeling  even more adventurous, you should give chrome a try too. It's a lot faster with loading pages, but a bit less accessible in my opinion.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-02-13 21:25:12

I don't understand why NVDA has a beep speech mode. They should remove that setting and have the hot key toggle speech on or off.

As for IE, pressing alt n will cause NVDA to set focus to the alert and read it. You can tab through the controls and press enter.

I'm not sure about performing mouse clicks. I would suggest that you read the manual thoroughly to get a basic idea of all the concepts. If you just want commands, look at the commands quick reference document in the NVDA help menu. Everything is neatly organized into headings. You can also use the input gestures dialogue under the preferences submenu to assign custom keyboard commands to diferent functions.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-02-13 21:28:49

It can be handy if you've got a console application which keeps outputting text, and you want to know when it is finished.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-02-13 22:13:05

Hi,

Not much I can add, just to ask for clarification about the ' shut the NVDA voice off"  comment you made. It sounds like you want NVDA not to speak, but nvda+s, which turns speech off, is not what you want. What is the problem with that approach exactly? Nvda+s is similar to ctrl+0 in Supernova.
As for mouse clicks ...that has to do with the modes you still want to figure out but the gist of it is that you use objectNav or screenReview to go to the place on screen you want to click, use a command to bring the mouse to that location and than one to either left or right click. Hope that helps:)

2017-02-14 02:59:47

If you want the thing to say capital letters when left or right arrowing then go to the NVDA voice menue by pressing nvda key + control plus v and navigate to the say cap before capital letters check box and check it with space and then uncheck the beep before capital letters if it is pchecked.

2017-02-14 06:10:38

@Family marrio, I did see that addon when I was having a look through the addons on the list, however I wasn't sure if it just got rid of the beeps option from mode switching with nvda s, or whether it actually got rid of all beeps, since some of the beeps I actually rather like.
I believe I  missunderstood what nvda s wwas for. I thought it was something to do with actual switching of config, but it seems effectively almost like the "voice off" command in supernova, or at least I used it that way when I was listening to stuff in vlc and didn't want track names announced.

@Rolvdwol, that seems a slightly long way around at the moment,and I'd rather not  mess too much with profiles etc until I'm doubly sure of what commands I'm using when.
Besides the  punctuation in NVda seems a  strange, since if I have smbols set to most or all contractions like I'm or isn't are pronounced i point m or isn point t which is rather odd.
It's just something that is going to take fiddling I think.

With regards to Firefox, I might try at some point, though for the moment I'll stick with ie while I'm getting used to the thing. One thing I don't like is the constant mentioning when I'm looking at web pages, that's a miner pest, particularly in games like Monster breeder that have space on the page.

@Zersiax, As I said with the mode switch thing, I wasn't exactly clear what it is for, but it does seem to work like the   voice off command.
With  respect to mouse movement, gathered the bit about the different object review modes, however I was wondering about doing things like streight clicks on  hotspots and the like, which is occasionally necessary with none standard controls, again this is something I'm  probably going to have to research.

I did download the obj pad addon which gives slightly less keyboard shortcut heavy wways of navigating object lists etc, which should help things.

@Hammer, yep, found the capitals option I rather like the beeps for capitals thing (hence why I don't want to turn the beeps mode off), however at the moment I'm only  capitals when I review by character. Since I do have a habbit of forgetting them, it is helpful to have them spoken when reading lines etc.

Again, these are all pretty much teething  troubles with configuration issues I think.   
I will say thanks  to everyone for the tips and people's patience with my noob questions.

In general I am however quite impressed with Nvda thus far.  I've always been meaning to try the thing, since I've very much approved of the project right from it's conception, but it's not really been a priority so long as what I was doing with Supernova was okay.

I'll talk about what has happened with  Supernova in another topic.

2017-02-14 09:32:48

Dark, you will find some audio tutorials in the below website useful:
http://www.nvda-kr.org/en
Hope that helps.

2017-02-14 16:31:45

Thanks for that Socheat.

I've actually setup a new subfolder in  just for nvda related stuff big_smile.

One thing though. based on your comments about Jake Groseman's site and running nvda with the mobile George Sapi voice, I went to This page, however I didn't see any addons related to mobile use.
There were some interesting ones, in particular one for Sam and orphius, though when I downloaded them they were zip folders and I wasn't sure where to put them.

With nvda at the moment the two major things I'm having are firstly, if I accidently hit an advert box like one of the ones at the top of this page, I seem to get stuck between several different buttons off the page itself and sometimes can't get back to the text, and secondly, I'm missing Supernova's find function, where I could type in text and have the focus jump straight to it (I used it a lot on the forum).

I've tried ctrl f, but that seems a bit finicky, since when I hit "next" button in that toolbar and then press escape to get out of it, sometimes I@ve not moved.

I'd also like to get rid of this "blank line" thing, since it does make some pages a bit annoying to read with arrow keys, such as battles in Monbre.
Then again I've not been through all the tutorials and  various resources yet, so it's entirely possible I've missed something.

2017-02-14 16:38:06

@Dark, for searching try ctrl +nvda +f. That usually works for me.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2017-02-14 19:35:50

Hi Dark, here's the microsoft mobile addon for NVDA. http://***/Add-Ons/sapi5mobile.nvda-addon

2017-02-14 19:40:16

@Dark Dark, are you a new nvda user?

2017-02-14 20:32:08

NVDA control F is the find feature.
Then NVDA F3 repeats the search.

Go to preferences > browse mode, then enable the "Use screen layout (when supported)" option.
This will get rid of the blank lines in Internet Explorer.
Oddly the blank lines are gone in Firefox regardless of whether this option is on or off.
Some people like the option off because it ensures each link is on its own line, rather than matching the visual screen layout.
If you're one of those people, consider using Firefox which gets rid of the blank lines all the time.

HTH

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2017-02-14 21:50:12

You're going to want to use firefox with NVDA anyway, internet explorer's bloody slow and it messes with NVDA addon files when you download them. All those zip files? They were .nvda-addon files til IE got it's hands on them. When you downloaded them, the program renamed them in the background... without informing you. Nice of it wasn't it?
Plus the NVDA firefox combo is nice and stable and will serve you well. as for the notifications that pop up when you attempt to download something etc, you use alt plus N to move to and interact with them. I can't say it enough... ditch IE,  NVDA plus IE results in a subpar browsing experience.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-02-14 21:57:04

look dark, Mozilla firefox was usefull with nvda, but internet explorer is having a bug in nvda, i thing use a nvda with mozilla firefox.

2017-02-15 02:52:44 (edited by Dan Gero 2017-02-15 02:53:38)

I agree with post 19. Let me explain a bit of what ie does. Files with the nvda-addon extintion are just zip files, all nvda does is extract the files to a folder in the addons folder. IE knows this and changes the file to a .zip file, because it knows it's improper and doesn't chose to notify you of this change. Firefox is better because it saves the files as is without making unauthorized changes to your downloads. Hope this helps.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-02-15 07:59:22

eex@Mayana, thanks for that. I was getting the command wrong, i thought it was ctrl f and was forgetting to press capslock.

@nidza07  thanks for the link, I've got the file now and it's working, I just changed the name of the extention and it was fine. Actually it seems odd that the addons on Nvda's own homepage didn't work like this but other ones do.

@Ian, . I did turn the layout thing off to get each link on a separate line  feels far more familiar to me from supernova.

I don't know about firefox at this point, it might be something to try later, but while I get the hang of this I'll stick with ie, since there are some functions in firefox which are rather         different, for example the bookmarks all being internal to the program (I like my  favourites folder on the desktop with goodness knows how many years worth of items and subfolders in , indeed the bookmarks function was one thing I didn't like in firefox, since as I said I do a lot of messing about in the favourites folder, including backing it up regularly.

Actually i  find it rather odd that firefox doesn't! work with favourites once it's set as the default browser, since favourites are just urls after all, though if I'm wrong feel free to let me know, I've not tried firefox for quite some time.

2017-02-15 10:26:06

For some weird reasons, IE try to rename from .nvda-addon extention to zip. But you can rename the extention easily by disable the "hide extention for known file types" in the folder options dialogue.

2017-02-15 10:49:03

@Socheat, yep, I found that, and got the addon working, though reaction speed seems a little slower than expected with the mobile voice.
on the other hand, I do have the sam addon and have got orphius working, which is good. I've always liked orphius human sounding voices as a nice compromise between reaction speed and sound quality, and the fact dictionary and pronunciation is pretty good, especially for fantasy names.

The one thing I'm having with voices at the moment, apart from finding a good compromise between reaction speed and decent sound quality, is that a lot seem fairly quiet, especially when running a game like crazy party.

I've turned on audio ducking, which reminds me of how Voiceover works on Ios, though whether it lowers the sound too much when say I pick up an object in the game I'm not sure.

I've got the voice itself turned up to 100, still I'm just investigating voices currently and whether I stick with orphius or use something else I don't know.

That was one advantage to vocaliser actually, that the voices are high quality but the reaction speed pretty good, though whether the adon is worth actually paying seventy quid or so for it I'm not sure.

2017-02-15 15:10:15

@Dark: If you grab the jgt nvda addon you will now be able tot ry out some of the japanese games too, because it'll be easy to set up. YOu'll just have to go to region and langauge in windows 10, find the japanese stuff and check them, and vwala, pretty much. INwindows xp ou needed to put a disk in to install the language packs!