2017-02-21 09:05:30 (edited by Jeffb 2017-02-21 09:06:16)

I'm reminded of this quote. "You can lead a horse to water but if you can make it float on its back than you really got something." Grizzly Gulch. This is pointless as
Andy93
Is clearly not going to listen to anyone else or any logic. @Andy93
I wonder if you'd listen if God shouted in your ear? Anyway I've said all I could in this topic.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-02-21 09:38:36

@Andy93: Why does he need to scare people into believing though? Just how insecure is he? I mean, it's even his own creation, you'd think he would've made it a bit better if he didn't like the flaws it has... Or just delete the project and start over. Although, being all powerful and what not I guess he can't really make mistakes.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2017-02-21 13:13:49 (edited by Slender 2017-02-21 13:15:46)

Andy93, I have a feeling there is not much anyone can do to reason with you at this point. It seems that whenever people, even fellow Christians, try to explain to you why your idea might be wrong, you seem to evade it and use the same possibly flawed logic over and over again.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-02-21 15:37:32

And lets be honest, with everything that is always happening around the world, all the blood, the terrorism, all the bad things, i'm sure that god does have lots of more important things to care and worry about tan who's sleeping, marrying who.
I'll explain why i can't believe all this religious stuff.
I can't because for me god shouldn't be this scary, dominant thing:
Or you do as i want and say or you're damned.
For me, whatever is up there watching us is love, and is absurd to think that he would condemn us to hell exactly for that thing, loving someone, no matter if that someone is of the same sex.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

2017-02-21 17:41:43

OK, lets start.   You guys  are always saying its hard to reason with me, and you're not far from reality. I could say the same about you but, the difference is that its not my business to convince anyone to believe in the Lord and commit your life to him, all I'm doing is defending what I believe and preaching God's word as it is written, however its the holy spirit the only one who can break the rock and convince you all of sin and judgement.
@Jeff: I listen to his voice every single day, because I have a personal relationship with him. Through Christ, you have the possibility to have an open, personal, and beautiful relationship with a living God.
@AlexN and Almeida: He's not scary, sertainly we christians didn't gave our lives to a "scary man upstairs" as some of you might say disrespectfully. The problem, my friend, with all this, is you and me as men, trying to reason with God and telling him how to do his things; The reason between you in me, however, is that I decided to give him my life completely, to follow his paths, and to leave him not only to redeem me with Christ's blood but to change my life as well.
And that's what men do not like, because they prefer darkness instead of light as Jonh 1 states. So, why did God the omnipotent, the all mighty, is letting all these things happen? the wars, the evil everywhere? Well, here I go again: All of that, is because men and women around the world, decided to turn their backs to God, they're saying clearly: God, you know what? we know that you made us, or that's supposed, we even know that 2000 years ago you sent Jesus to die for our sins, but guess what? we don't need you, we don't want you God. Let us live however we want, do not even touch our lives, do not dare to tell us how to live.
So God, as the gentleman he is, giving the power to men over the animals to make decisions on their own, respected that choice. A choice that, of course, as I've been saying all this time, has its consequence, nust look how we're living today.
So you tell me: Uh, God is a scary creature who just sends to hell to  everyone  who disobeys him? the answer is, and I'll keep saying it, it is all up to you. You can call God however you want, but remember, believe or not, every single thing, from trees to animals to ourselves, are his creation. have you asked yourself why do you woke up today? why are you still alive instead of dead? the answer to those questions is, mercy. Its by his mercy that you and me are still alive today, is by his mercy that Christ hasn't returned yet for his church so that the message of the gospel gets spread all around the world, giving you time to repent and not perish. Oh and let me tell you something else: God does not want your destruction, he does not want you to die eternaly, he wants you to be with him one day, if you receive and open up your hearts to Christ.
The problem here guys, is that as men we believe we can give God titles and names and call him a million of  things, but again as the prophet Isaiah says: Your ways are not my ways, and your thaughts are not my thaughts, says the Lord God.
There's still time guys, Jesus loves you!

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?

2017-02-21 18:43:24

@andy:
I just want to understand.
why?
Why a relationship with people of the same sex is so wrong?
Love, love in any way, shape or form just can't be wrong, seriously.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

2017-02-21 19:27:51

@Almeida. OK man, I'll explain this to you in a minute. In the beginning God created all things, as stated in the book of Genesis. Then he created the man, to his image, and also decided  that the man can't be alone. Therefore from one of his ribs, he created a mate for him, that is, a woman.
That's how God designed things, he created male and female, and he enfasized that in his word almost 2 times. That's why, not only a relationship between 2 men or 2 women  is anti natural, but there is not any possibility of love in such relationships. SO you might say: And why if they both love each other? that's not love, because God created a man and a woman to love each other, not 2 persons from the same sex.

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?

2017-02-21 20:22:45 (edited by daigonite 2017-02-21 20:23:16)

1. Women don't have less ribs than men...

2. How do you explain people who are born intersex?

3. Love is not defined by what the creator intended but by what the two people involved in the loving relationship feel.

Ultimately, if you create an entity that functions in a certain way, and punish that entity for functioning in that way, you are acting malevolently. If you punish a bird for flying, a cat for chasing prey, a dog for barking... well these are all functions that these entities do naturally, and cannot help doing. Creating humans with free will means that entities will act in any possible direction. Therefore, it is both extremely irresponsible and malevolent for god to treat his subjects in such a manner. Again, this conflicts with the idea that God is benevolent.

Furthermore, many animals naturally engage in homosexual behaviour. Here's a noncomprehensive list of mammals and birds with such behaviours recorded:

Bison
Brown bear
Brown rat
Cavy
Caribou
Cat (domestic)
Cattle (domestic)
Chimpanzee
Common dolphin
Common marmoset
Dog
Elephant
Canko
Fox
Giraffe
Goat
Horse (domestic)
Koala
Lion
Orca
Panda
Barn owl
Chicken
Common gull
Emu
House sparrow
Kestrel
King penguin
Mallard
Ostrich
Raven
Rock dove
Seagull
Swan

In addition, many animals such as fish, amphibians and reptiles have unusually sexed breeding behaviour that indicates that believing that heterosexuality is the only "natural" sexuality shows a very immature understanding of reproductive biology.

As stated before it's likely that homosexual behaviour exists as a form of population control and allows these individuals to help rear children in large social communities without being burdened by their own children.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2017-02-21 20:45:54

Hi.
At general, the problem with religious people is that they follow a flawed logic and have the same explanations for everything we throw at them.
Dont we believe in god? Let him into your heart.
Are we wrong to critizise him? No no, we are just sinners, hey wait, that's quite a good metal band, sinner I mean.
At andy, so you are saying that I should invite god to my heart? Sorry to break it to you, but I will not let anyone into my personal life, neither my heart, it's just for the people I love, not for some bad tempered child who doesnt get his way.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-02-21 20:56:25

@ daigonite. Its interesting what you say here: "Ultimately, if you create an entity that functions in a certain way, and punish that entity for functioning in that way, you are acting malevolently".
What I've been trying to say here is that, God did not created nun of us this way. Again, he created a male and a female, man and woman, one for the other. He did not made 2 men or 2 women and put them together, but instead he gave to the male a female partner and so onn. He created the woman because in all the creation, there was not a partner for the recently formed man and so, God said it was not good for the man to be alone. Again, I enfasize in this point, he gave him a woman, not another man or an animal.
Therefore, your analogy is incorrect, and love is a divine atribute transmited from God to men. but it is not possible, and will never be possible, for a man to love another man or a woman loving another woman, and we're speaking here about a sentimental relationship. That is not love, for love is perfect; Instead, those are anti natural atractions.
And, absolutely nobody is born intersex, all of this is related to the sinful nature of men.

2017-02-21 20:56:35

hm.

If that's helpfull, why don't you press Thumbs up?

2017-02-21 20:58:41

@simba: again, that was your choice. You're  closing the doors to a loving God? OK, I've said in repeated times that he's a gentleman. He isn't gonna force you to let him in, but your choice has a consequence as mine does

2017-02-21 21:10:33

I think what Andy's showing us here is a lovely example of just what Tim Minchin tried to say with the quote:
"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved."
Not that that's necessarily always the case, but here it seems fitting at least. Sadly.
Also this:

Andy93 wrote:

There's still time guys, Jesus loves you!

But then you also say

Andy93 wrote:

That's why, not only a relationship between 2 men or 2 women  is anti natural, but there is not any possibility of love in such relationships.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jesus was a guy... Son of God and all that... And with me being a guy too, how on Earth can he then possibly love me?

And then this...

God wrote:

15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden;17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name.20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.
But for Adam[f] no suitable helper was found.21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh.

I guess God originally thought man and beast should mate then, that's interesting...But punishable by death according to Leviticus...That guy truly Works in mysterious ways...

See? I can quote the scripture too.

2017-02-21 21:14:19 (edited by daigonite 2017-02-21 21:31:54)

I believe you misunderstand, andy - intersex is not the same thing as transgender; people who are born intersex are born with a hormonal development issue that causes their genitals to not develop properly and develop between the sexes. Please research sexual development in the fetus before embarrassing yourself further. You are dead wrong.

Furthermore, there are anomalies chromosomally that produce more than two "perfect" sexes - there are XYY and XXY (both considered biological male). Biological male = having at least one Y chromosome.

Indeed, it's hard to argue at all that the system is perfect. It's quite hodge podge which is to be expected from an evolved organism.

I don't understand how love can be divine when it is clearly caused by sex hormones. Unless you think that testosterone and estrogen are magical.

You continue to assert truth when there is no evidence behind your claims.

Also, a god that punishes people for being skeptical of his existence when he provides no evidence to believe so is hardly a gentleman. That is a man who is insecure and jealous, not gentleman. If he really wants me to come to the conclusion of his existence, he should allow those to figure it out for themselves. Conversion should not be necessary.

But for some reason his followers must target people while they're young. Why is this? Is it possibly because young children are more naive and easier to manipulate? Hardly gentlemanly if you ask me. Rather, this indicates underhandedness. You describe a dirty, cheating, malevolent, aggressive, jealous and bitter god. Why should I believe he is benevolent? You just say he's benevolent because the bible says so but I'm not convinced.

2017-02-21 21:53:12

@Alex: not only you're twisting the scriptures, but you're deliberately missing a point I clarified. So how can Jesus love me if he's a guy? that's why I said, in a sentimental relationship its not possible for 2 persons of the same sex to be in love, but the natural design and the way God made up things, was a male and a female. I'm not saying here that you cannot have a  deep love for a friend, I'm talking about partners who are wanting to form a family, get married and so on.
@Daigonite. and, whose saying that God punishes you  for being skeptical and not believeing in him? of course, there's nothing wrong on being skeptical, or have questions. Everyone of us, in a determined point of our lives have too many questions about God, or tend to ask how can God exist, or how can he allowed so much evil in this world. I was one of those people, I was like most of you until he came to my life and, changed it. I was a singer, I had absolutely everything, the support of my family, but God was missing in my life.
Now, evidence you say? He has revealed so many times to men,  he has shown himself through his word, he came to this earth leaving his thrown to be like one of us, to understand us, our suffering and our problems, he's constantly telling us how much he loves us, but men is so blind that once he knoks on his/her door, the door of their hearts, he simply according to his power to make choices says: oh no, God? I don't need anything from you, I don't let anybody but myself to drive my life. Oh and you're so terrible, so bad tempered, so bitter that I can't stand it.
This is similar to a judge who, one day had to  condemn a criminal because of his crimes. "there's nothign  that can be done for you", the judge says. You're condemned to suffer the capital death, but you know what? I love you so much that, my sun decided to take your place in the electrick chair. He's dying to pay your  transgression.
So the criminal stood at the cort and shouted: GO away, I don't need anyone to do anything for me!

2017-02-21 21:53:56

@Daigonite: To be fair, God himself also states that he is a jealous god, in the ten commandments if I remember correctly. I guess we can give him a bit of credit for at least admitting that.
Having said that, he's still not by any Means a gentleman.

2017-02-21 22:09:35

Hi.
At andy, so wait, you are telling me that my denial of god will have consequences. Well, interesting that there might be a consequence when I dont believe in something that clearly doesnt exist in this world.
At I dont know who said it. Urm, man was supposed to fall in love with animals? Urm, what bible in the phrase mensioned that, i am confused now.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-02-21 22:38:59 (edited by daigonite 2017-02-21 22:45:46)

I apologize, Andy; my presentation tends to be cold and unwelcoming, but this has more to do with my mechanical nature. I try to be as formal as possible to compensate for my poor ability to convey myself in other contexts.

God punishes skeptics who do not believe in him for not permitting them to be rewarded in heaven. In many interpretations, this results in eternal damnation. How is that not punishment for being skeptical?

I don't really care whether or not you have had a revelation about God; I need to have my own revelation so to speak in order to drop my skepticism. Many things in my life have suggested that god does not exist, at least as you have described. My main question is this - why would a god as you have described create me? Why would a god who punishes those for homosexual relations, those who want to change their gender, and other unusual problems if he hates them? Why would he create me, someone who has suffered tremendously because of my flawed mind? If I am perfect in god's eyes then he has a bizarre interpretation of "perfect".

I am not convinced that these have anything to do with free will, just as your blindness has nothing to do with your free will. We did not decide to be born in the bodies or minds that we were born in.

What you describe when you say "god has revealed himself many times to man" is something called anecdote. Anecdote, which means "I experienced it myself!" does not appeal to me, since I have no way to differentiate anecdote from pure horse shit pulled out of their ass.

Are you suggesting that God does not want to show himself to me because of my temperment? So childish for a benevolent god. If he wants me to believe in him he should provide objective evidence of his existence, or even appear before me. Until then I have no reason to believe in a god, especially if science and philosophy are both more useful and provide more happiness for humanity as a whole.

Your analogy with a judge is poor. First off, judges can be extremely biased, as can be seen with sentences of white men in comparison to black men, so courts are hardly an accurate judgement of morals. Second, laws are tangible and man made, but the word of God is not. We only have scriptures to rely on, which again fall into anecdotal, man-made evidence. Finally, a god that sends his son to be punished instead of the criminal is not a benevolent god but a horrible father who deserves to be shunned by society. You are letting a horrible person go free and punishing a completely innocent person. What if that horrible person commits another crime?

Are you comparing God to something manmade? Hmm, what does that suggest? wink

Of course, none of this addresses the fact that morality is extremely subjective and changes from person to person. But opening a bible takes those hard questions out of your hands and takes away your ability to think for yourself. Perhaps the Bible, in its ancient nature, does not have the answers for the problems that face the modern world, as they are far more complex than the bible lets on. If you are unable to approach these problems as the problems that they are, then you have next to no utility towards actually solving them.  Even if you continue to pray, it will be useless in actually solving these problems. Prayer did not cure people of polio, science did.  Prayer did not revolutionize our society, philosophy did.

Embrace the power that you have as an individual.

p.s. good job dodging the intersex argument completely. lol!

2017-02-21 22:41:47

@Andy93: Well, God clearly thought he could find a fitting partner for Adam amongst the animals since he brought them to him first, and only when no partner was to be found created the woman.
You know, I'm not twisting anything, it's right there... It's just requiring that you read it the right way so it fits your message...
Also I'm sorry for not addressing your clarification about the relationship, I was writing the message as you posted I think, so I only saw that later.

2017-02-21 22:42:44 (edited by daigonite 2017-02-21 22:42:59)

Alex, I don't think anything in genesis actually suggests bestiality. You're kind of arguing a moot point.

2017-02-21 23:20:25

@Daigonite: I know it doesn't, my point was more that you can make it suit whatever you feel like if you just insist enough, heh.

2017-02-21 23:23:08

You could, but that doesn't really make it logical. To be fair, andy isn't exactly the shining example of logic himself though. His reasoning is literally "X book says Y is true, therefore Y is true." Without testing any consistency issues with reality.

Shutting off reality just makes you unable to be utilized neutral

2017-02-21 23:48:50

Yeah, on second thought using his own flawed logic on him probably won't do anything. Not that I really know what could, although there probably is something...I guess I'll just let it go at this point, I'm getting to a point where I'm just making bad arguments for the sake of making bad arguments, that's hardly helping anyone, haha.

2017-02-21 23:58:19

Hi.
I think what alex wanted to say is that you can interpret the sentence about animals and humans in different way, just like how andy interprets the bible in his own way, correct me if I am wrong.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-02-22 00:21:25

@Simba: That's more or less what I was getting at, yes.