2017-02-18 05:28:02

(I'm going to read this post in three years and cringe, I just know it.)

I submit that religion serves a purpose completely independent of its truthfulness (after all, there are many religions out there which contradict other religions). There's this saying that there are atheists with a God-shaped hole in their hearts (#notAllX). There's always this talk of "find your passion" and so forth. Time after time, it's found that people function best with community and when doing things to help others. These are not strictly the providence of religion, but some of them--Christianity in particular--have certainly gotten better at it than most substitutes.
Then we have culture wars and morality debates and everyone telling everyone else why they're wrong, which we'd have without religion because we'd still have politics. And we'd have it without politics because we'd still have clans and tribes and subdivisions and families and cliques.

The big three evangelistic religions--Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism--did an interesting thing, by filling that need in such a way as to transcend national and ethnic and tribal divisions. They did it so well that they've remained recognizable for longer than most empires.
And yet they are three and not one, and but three of many. One can't really run a supposedly democratic republic and with one made law above all others, unless it's just that homogeneous a republic. You can't really have "kill the infidel" as a policy in a world that is overwhelming majority infidel by the same reckoning. You can pull a Tokugawa and go full isolationist (and literally send ninjas to sabotage Christian rebellions, because that happened. It was one of those "Hey, I'm Jesus's brother!" groups that has a nasty habit of springing up when Christianity reaches a new place and doesn't immediately catch on.), but that isn't going to work so well with post-war America. (By which I mean post-World Wars. American isolationism worked well enough, right up until it ended. That is not a genie you can put back into its bottle without the past century of advancement collapsing. Some might say that this is a good thing, and a techno-economic collapse would put civilization back in position to be more accepting of religion. To which I say that a god who can't withstand Twitter is hardly a god at all.)

Also, Nocturnus's talk of  a democratic constitutional republic devolving to legalism hits the nail on the head, religion aside. That problem transcends political divides.
Though I kinda imagine it has to do with the arcs the pendulum has made since Communism became the great boogieman of the 20th century. The Pledge of Alegance having God inserted, then made a ritual in public events and places and schools... to unmask Communists. (Not that there weren't Soviet spies all over the place in the 1950s.)
Then came the 60s counterculture. Which devolved into the 70s. Then the reaction to the 70s brought us a dramatic reduction in crime, gains in economic prosperity, and MS DOS. And lots and lots of mass media paranoia about every little thing. Entertainment kept drifting one way, culture outside of Hollywood and the Ivory Towers drifted another, the Cold War came to an end, and the guard rails keeping the pendulum from going wild fell with the Berlin Wall. And here we are. Escalating nastiness on all sides.
Where is God in all this?
Well, the nuts in charge of fighting Communism back in the day tried to shove him down everyone's throats in the name of fighting Communism. At the same time that an enormous technological / economic / etc, etc boom hit the world. Everybody has been overreacting to everybody else ever since. Not that people weren't before, I suppose. But we probably wouldn't be having this conversation if not for the Red Scare.
What to do? Well, since blow up the world and start over is not a viable option (even if we had a Deathstar, a portal to an uninhabited Earth, and a team of well-vetted pioneers ready to do the job), I'm kinda running out of ideas.
But if we could all just agree that people can think very differently from us and not necessarily be stupid/evil/immoral/whathaveyou, that would be a start. Do not just read the previous sentence and think "Yeah, <other side of the discussion>! Stop acting like we're evil!", for that would completely miss the point. Remove the log from your own eye before removing the speck from your brother's.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-02-20 18:18:39

OK guys, I've not been able to post here because my internet was suspended for a while due to excessive paying, LOL.
Maybe I'm not gonna answer every single thing said here cuzz, that's a lot I've been missing. But, @nocturnus: excuse me man, but first I'm not delivering my  christian principals like a westborian, ya know what I'm talking about. i'm not saying here like the westboro baptist church guys, ya know what? you're all condemned to the eternal fire because you do not obey God, you fags. At first, being a non native english speaker I suppose that it is not right for us to use that word in our vocabulary. Now, you're telling me to deliver my beliefs more lovingly to be taken seriously by non believers. Having clarified that this is not about hatrid, I am not changing my way of delivering my message. Jesus himself preached with so much authority, calling to the good things good, and to the bad things bad. I am not just gonna submit myself just to say God loves you however you are to keep everybody happy, because both me and you who know the truth are responsible for the message we are preaching. I agree that this is not about bashing people with our bible and calling them names, but the message has to be preached as it is, because if you and me change the message of God delivered by Christ just to have everybody satisfied, my brother, we are going to be in big  trouble in God's presence. So don't ask me to change my way to deliver the message, because that isn't gonna happen. Plus, if I want people to take me seriously, remember that not everybody, no matter how we preach, takes us seriously and starts mocking us.
Now regarding God accepting you as you are, and loving you, yes. He accepts you as you are, yes he loves you, but all he requires from you is repentance. If you  don't repent of your sins and let God's kingdom enter your life and change it, then yuo're still a sinner in God's eyes. Yes he loved us so much that he gave his sun to die for us on the cross, but he requires from all mankind, no matter who he/she is, to repent and commit our lifes to christ to be changed, not to be left as we were before. There are only 2 possible ways for men, eternal life with christ or separation of God in hell, its all up to you.
Now going back to homosexual animals, someone asked: so I suppose you don't believe in grabitty, right? yes I do believe in grabitty as a universal law, but remember my dear friend that things like the big bang theory, and the evolution, are not biblical nor right. So don't try to tell me, for goodness sake, that it is proven that homosexual animals indeed exists. God created male and  female, man and woman as I said before; These days it is quite common to try to justify sinful ways using the animals or the science, but God established things his way, not ours. Who are we to change God's  nature? Oh and, with all my respect, you nocturnus asked me to rebuke a christian if I like for not being able to live consistently to the scriptures? well, now I do. Its sad and breaks my heart that you actually believe that.  I don't know if you're doing that just to be friendly to everybody or you really believe it deep in your heart. But remember what God told noa to do  before entering the ark? lets recall what Genesis 6: 19 says, I'm quoting the king james version: And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
Noticed the, they shall be part? God says they shall be, not you can  maybe have male and female of each specie,  but if you want just up a pair of males and a pair of females and everything's OK. I pray that you study your scriptures before stating that, indeed animals can be homosexual, and that you let yourself to be  guided and assisted by the holy spirit. Remember that Paul said in his letter to the romans, 8 14: 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Remember that being a christian is not just to have the name of christians, its deeper than that.
Finally to finish this long post, I'd like to say a word to Simba and those who expressed their hatrid twards us christians: no, don't expect me to call you idiots, stupid freaks, my master teaches us to pray for our enemies. I hope you guys one day can have the opportunity to see farther away, and live this life that is more amazing and more superior than anything. I hope one day you can open up your hearts to Jesus, the one who was insulted,  wipped, punched and nailed for you and for me. I hope one day you escape of the rath of God coming soon to  this earth, there is an eternal  condemnation but God, through Jesus Christ is giving yuo the opportunity to go the oposit way.
And remember: God loves you as you are, but he does not want to leave  you as you are. He wants to change your life

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?

2017-02-20 19:15:36

@Andy93: One WHO wants you to change just so he can be happy doesn't love you as you are, not sure how you can think that's even close to true. But thanks for the laugh smile
As for the rest of what you've said, I'm afraid you're more or less too far out to really reason with, but good luck to you.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2017-02-20 19:19:20

he wants to change my life? Na thanks, I will do with my life what I want and not what a god wants.
And hey, the only time I see far away is the time when science finds a way to make me sighted again, and that's the only time.
I dont care if someone is mishandled for me, at leased not if he or she isnt a human who really exists or existed.
Greetings Moritz

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-02-20 19:35:07

@AlexN: Well, the thing is, you might  have a wrong concept of what really love is. God loves us so much that, in order for us not to perish, he had to send his sun to suffer the unbearable for us. So, deos that mean the father didn't loved him because he just sent him here to preach, and then to suffer? the answer to that is, of course not. For he is my beloved sun, the father said.
As humans contaminated by sin, we deserve nothing but death, eternal condemnation as it is written in the book of Romans. Now notice I said we, not you, because  I'm also a man who needed the salvation that God offers through Christ. However God payd a price sending Jesus to this earth, to suffer and die for you and for me on a cross, putting our sin on his shoulders, so we who are condemned sinners who do not  deserve anything but eternal death and separation from God, can receive salvation only by his  grace, and our lives get changed completely. Isn't this love? what bigger love is this one, that he showed for you and for me! And so, i fhe loves  me so much why he has to change me? why can't he just accept me as I am? the answer is simple: Because God is holy, he does not tolerates sin. So in order for us to be saved and see his glory, and have a perfect fellowship with God, it is necessary that our lives change and we, as Jonh chapter 3 verse 3 says, be born again to be able to see God. Otherwise no one can see him, because he is holy and we aren't.
@Simba: K man, that was your choice. your choice is to reject God, however he still wants you to come and accept him as your saviour. Its all up to you, however the choice you make will have its consequence

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?

2017-02-20 20:27:52

If he loved us so much though, couldn't he just, you know, accept that we sin and let us in anyway? To me he comes across as more of a selfish Little kid WHO throws a temper tantrum if he doesn't get it his way rather than a loving and accepting father. Not sure how I'm supposed to even consider worshipping that. But I guess we have different ideas of what to look up to, heh.

2017-02-20 21:19:39 (edited by daigonite 2017-02-20 21:24:21)

hey andy93 why does god act so much like an abusive parent? Nobody who truly loves you would send you to permanent punishment for all eternity because they didn't do what you want. I highly doubt that the Christian god should be taken literally as you describe. Ideals like that push extreme Christians away from the rest of the population.

I've never understood how a benevolent being could be so aggressive, mean and nasty. Unless he's a reflection of something else.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2017-02-20 22:14:59

@Daigonite and AlexN: The problem here is, that nobody can understand God's love if you don't first leave him enter your life, and open up your heart. He's not acting like an abusive parent, or like a mean dictator. In fact he's a gentleman, who just gave you the possibility to choose: Either to  accept his grace and his love, and live by that love and leave your life to be transformed, or live away of his love however you decide. It looks like you both have made that choices, according the the free will he gave you.
However, God says in his word that our thaughts are not his thaughts, and our ways are not his ways. So you can question God's way of doing things, you can ask why a loving parent should send his children to hell, but the truth is. 1: He is holy, therefore he cannot accept sin. 2: Who loves more, a parent who just leaves his kid to do whatever he/she wishes? or a parent who corrects his children and, without forcing them to act like robots, teaches them about the consequence of each of your choices.
Sertainly, I tell you that if your father does not cares about what you do, and let you live your own life without instructing you first and what's good and bad, leaving you do whatever you want without any problems, then he  does not loves you. God loved us so much, sent his sun to teach us his ways, to preach the doctrine of repentance, to suffer and die for you and for me, and to resurrect in order to open for us that path to eternal life. He's just wayting for everyone to decide, weather to accept his grace, or to reject it. However, one day there will be no mercy, and id'll be too late to think about God. Today is the time to, if you want salvation and eternal life, accept Christ in your heart

2017-02-20 22:46:30 (edited by daigonite 2017-02-20 23:05:14)

But... he punishes you severely for not being exposed to him. Even unbaptized babies and people born before Jesus are believed in some way to go to hell.

Considering that he's the creator of everything, I don't really buy the argument that he's trying to protect you from hell. If he is both benevolent and trying to protect you from hell, he cannot by definition be omnipotent. If he was, he would have created hell by definition, and sends people to there who do not open their hearts to him, which is an extremely malevolent move.

You can assert all you want but it appears that you are not really addressing the core problems. If that's fine by you, that's fine by you, but you won't win me over as a convert. I'm skeptical by nature and honestly, if God had enough compelling evidence to believe in his existence, I would; however, as time goes on, we are constantly filling the gaps that we once assigned to God through science and philosophy. Unfortunately, vague threats delivered by people claiming to channel God in an indirect way is not sufficient evidence.

You assert that because he is holy that he is free of sin, and yet he sends unbaptized children and people born before Jesus Christ to hell. What, because of Adam and Eve? That's even worse - punishing people for something they had no control over. Perhaps God's sense of morality is different than mine, but that only demonstrates that God's morality is subjective, and therefore to assert he is free of sin is incorrect. Sin is an entity that is capable of committing immoral acts, but if morality is subjective, then sin is also subjective; and I believe that only a sinful deity would commit such a heinous act against his own creation.

Your second claim is a false analogy. Few parents, outside of the most horrible and evil, would ever send their child to a place of eternal damnation (or even anything roughly equivalent) because they refused to listen to them. After all, it could be that the parents are wrong and they aren't aware of the fact that they are wrong. Since God's morality is subjective, it is possible too that God is not aware of what he is doing is wrong. All of this conflicts with the idea that God is omnipotent or omniscient.

In fact, parents usually try to dissuade children from doing "bad things" because it will affect them negatively in the future with no fault of the parents. For example, if a child gets addicted to drugs, the torment caused by that is not caused by the parents. However, God literally sends people to hell if they do not obey. Furthermore, there is little evidence to suggest that those who do not follow God are actually hurting themselves because they refuse to believe in God. Many atheists live bountiful, successful lives without believing in God, so why should someone believe in God?

Ultimately, all you're doing is closing yourself off to philosophical discussion over morality and how to live one's life by simply asserting that the Christian god is the answer. I have no reason to accept your assertion though, since there's a lot of flaws with it.

The sad thing in all of this - a literal interpretation of God closes you off to the allegories contained in the Bible. I genuinely don't believe the Bible was meant to be taken literally. It has many consistency issues that highlight this fact, which indicates it's a form of interpretive literature, as it should be.

Fun tidbit - it's unlikely that on a fundamental level we have any free will at all. However, because our minds are so far abstracted from the very technical chemical reactions that form our brains, it can be treated as almost equivalent to free will, in the sense that a RNG isn't truly random but it produces acceptable random results. This can be easily demonstrated with using medications that affect someone's state of mind, such as drugs used to treat psychotic people.

Too long didn't read: Why did god give us the ability to think for ourselves if he punishes us for doing so? God targets skeptics, not sinners. So why should me, a skeptic, believe in him?

2017-02-20 23:23:49

@Daigonite: You're pretty much saying everything I have to say, but in a much better way. And glad that you even brought up the part about free will. That is a pretty interesting topic on its own.
I'm reminded of those four questions commonly credited to Epicurus, even though they're from someone else:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

2017-02-20 23:40:06

I'll try to control myself, because this is the kind of thing that really annoys me.
The problem with our world in general, and more rescently with religious people is that we, the people, or they, the religious ones, care too much about what others do, their way of thinking, of living etc.
Why can't we just accept how x or y is?
if x and y are gay or lesbians, and want to marry, why should someone care, or try to stop them? if they want to adopt a kid, who are us to say no?
They are just people like us, damnit, people like us trying to live, to feel love, to give love, to be happy, to have a family, and why say no because? god? oh please, that's just patetic.
by the way they talk, ( the religious people), even the ones from the forum, god is a freaking bastard that will only accept you if you follow his way, one step out of the line and there yo go, hell for you my son, i love you with all my godly heart but i can't accept you because you're a boy and married another boy, slept with another boy...honestly that makes me laugh.
If that's how god is, i'm honestly better without him.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

2017-02-20 23:52:13

Studying religion would probably be one of the best ways for aliens to understand our psychology. It seems to me that fundamentally,, religion fulfills human psychological needs. Good, evil, justice, compassion, these are all parts of religion, and also parts of human psychology.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-02-21 00:26:31

You know what is sad is there used to be more blind/disabled people who were religious. What the heck happened hear. Wow even hear among the blind I see the blind who are christians get shot down by stupid little atheists who don't even want to look at religion. Wow this truly makes me sad. What monster have I created. So my question is this is it just better if I leave the forum all together.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2017-02-21 00:33:34

Why would you leave because some people aren't religious? That's very silly, especially considering the forum has nothing to do with religion as a whole. We all have different beliefs, and that's perfectly fine.

2017-02-21 02:45:58

OK OK, it seems that I have to clarify a few points here.
@herstseth: Calm down, my brother. Those of us who decided to commit ourselves to Christ, according to God's word, have to be ready to defend our faith, ready to be mistreated and insulted for what wwe believe, ready to  give reason about our hope. That's what I'm doing right now, and there's no need to give them names like freakin little stupid atheists, remember we do not, and cannot act the same way as them. Keep your cool, God knows that each person  will be responsible in God's presence for what they've said till now, unless they repent; Oh and, remember that ours is not a simple dead religion, Christianity isn't a religion but a lifestile.
@Daigonite: Hang onn a sec, hang onn. I've never said, nor the bible does, that unbaptized children will go to hell, or people before Christ; Lets explain this point: The bible says that the kingdom of heaven belongs to the little ones, the kids, therefore its anti biblical to say that if a kid dies and was not baptized will go to hell. Plus, saying that a kid should be baptized is antibiblical itself because, when you  descend to the waters and get baptized, you are giving public testimony of your new life in Christ, as a responsible adult.
If a small child dies today he's sertainly in his way to  meet with the Lord, because although all human raze is contaminated with the sin, a child is not yet responsible for his actions. Its different if we talk about people who already knows what's  good and what's not, and again here comes the free will and the choices of everybody. An adult cannot be responsible for a child, for it is up to everybody to  make a decision for Christ.
Now, for those pro gay people who were saying: who cares about how do I want to live, or someone else? And this goes as well for those of you who are calling God a bastard and names like that: And who are you to argue with God? heck, even who I am to argue with God and his will? who are we, small men and women, to tell God what or what not to do? Its time for everybody to remember that he created you and me, not ourselves to ourselves. Psalms 100

2017-02-21 03:17:42 (edited by Jeffb 2017-02-21 03:18:14)

@Andy93 discrimination is a sin as well. God said to love thi neighbor and it is not our job to judge others. I don't think you will ever understand that. I am glad that more people in this topic seem to support same sex cuppels and that at least is a step in the right direction.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-02-21 03:19:47

That's not discrimination jeff, that's truth. I have no problem on  having some kind of friendship with homosexual people, but they will always hear from me what the word of God says.
Discriminating will be, uh, those gay people they are going right to hell, I don't care. That is, indeed, discrimination

2017-02-21 03:33:26

"They will always hear from me." that right there is discrimination... You just contradicted yourself. Also because of your discrimination you will likely never have any sort of friend ship with a homosexual. I pray that someday God will show you the light.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-02-21 03:38:33

ok so i'll try to don't sound sarcastic...but i have a question.
if gay or lesbian relationships would be wrong and somehow send us to hell, wouldn't god, the all powerful, loving entity that he suposedly is, stop people from thinking, wanting, living like this?
or he would just allow us to go to hell, because that's not certainly how i expect a good, loving, caring god to be with the ones he created.

2017-02-21 04:04:46

I have one word, fanaticism.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-02-21 04:32:35

@Jeff: the light is Jesus, its me whose praying that you see the light one day. In fact there's something you don't know, I once had a couple of friends who are homosexual, and although I do not agree with their way of living and always when  have opportunity talk to them about God's love, we are still talking.
@almeida: God is not stopping you from doing that and going to hell, because they created men with something you guys like to mention a lot every time we talk about this. Free will

2017-02-21 04:47:04

@andy:
You said the magic words, Free will.
NO need to add more

2017-02-21 04:58:29

Mmm, but do we *really* have free will? That's a great question. You know, Vsauce made an episode of Mind Field about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmI7NnMqwLQ
This 40ish minute clip from BBC (I think) was pretty interesting too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkjvWzJ2e3Q
Well worth the listen.

2017-02-21 07:43:36

hehehehehe, this is curious, hillarious and strange. Some times you show the love of God to the people, and they just  kind of try to use the free will on their favor, like if that gives them lisence to do whatever they want. Then you show them that God is a gentleman, that he left yuo 2 ways to decide, the way of life and awesome days and the way of death and eternal condemnation, that its all up to you to choose one of these ways, and then they ask: do we really have free will?

2017-02-21 08:53:42

My favourite quote on the subject (can't remember by who it was or the exact words and don't have time to look it up at the moment), something to the effect of you're almost as atheist as I am, I just believe in one less god than you do; if you can figure out why you don't believe in any of the other gods then maybe you can understand why I don't believe in yours.