2017-02-13 05:31:40

Hi turtlepower, good to know.
Vlc actually seems pretty good for just general media playback without covering the interface  in rubbish which is helpful.

I'm having two weerd things though.
The first, is for some reason if I by mistake set supernova to sapi, it resets the sapi voice to Microsoft hazel. This isn't really a problem, I have either vocalizer  or orphius on supernova and don't use supernova with sapi anyway, but it is a little bit strange none the less.

I also tried installing troopanum 2 and despite having both the winkit games and having run aprone's  checkup, got the error
about a file instruction not playing through.

I'll have to  investigate that one, thoughthe bsc games aren't a priority at the moment, not when I have stuff like thethe gait  and crazy partyto keep me busy, not to mention rhythm rage etc, though it might be something to investigate in the future.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-13 09:18:42

Okay, double post time.
The reset of sapi to Microsoft hazel has nothing to do with supernova it seems. It just randomly happens for no readily apparent reason.

Does anyone know why windows can't stand having another voice than hazel as the default one?
Having to reset this every  few  ours will be a pain.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-13 19:10:54

That is an odd problem for sure. I can't say I've ever encountered this. The voice I chose has stuck ever since I've been using it. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe Google will turn up something for you, it could be some obscure bug that only affects a small number of systems, or there might be a fix.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-02-14 07:07:49

Hi Turtlepower. It actually turns out that the problem was to do with narrator, since whenever I run narrator, it resets the Sapi voice.

Hopefully though now I've switched to Nvda, I won't have to run ssapi as often so won't run into the issue, indeed I'm using Sapi with Nvda right now, since I have a decent voice for it.

2017-02-14 08:48:18

Hmmm. That's quite interesting. I'll see if the same thing happens to me if I run Narrator. If so, that really should be reported to Microsoft, it's not good if such a bug exists.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-02-14 09:48:59

Dark, there is an add on in jake grose's website, that allows you to use the mobile voices with nvda. You could try it.

2017-02-14 10:17:01

@Turtlepower, yep, using narrator does indeed reset the voice to ms Hazel, it's quite crazy really.

@Socheat, that sounds like a pretty cool addon, and I might give it a try, since while the voice I have at the moment is pretty good, I've always liked having a screen reader and sapias different, just so that I'm not listening to the same thing all the time.

Lastly, I have an ms office question.
I do need a copy of office, or at least of Microsoft word to finish my thesis, plus I might even try outlook :D. But I'm not sure on obtaining one, since I don't really need microsoft's hole 365 program with access to all files (I still like my bbackup drives).

Can I buy just straight out office  somewhere?
I checked the Microsoft store, and the first thing that came up was "office free" which I assume is the right thing, though I'd prefer some confirmation here just to check.

2017-02-14 12:12:36

Office isn't free.

Buying standalone is more expensive. This is, of course, by design ... on Amazon, Home and Student is £107, whereas 365 personal is just £48. Maybe, even if you don't use OneDrive (a whole terabyte of storage, which is the only reason I bought it, with Office as a mere convenient side-effect) you might like to consider the subscription. In any event, go to Amazon to buy. It's cheaper.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-02-14 14:45:19

Hmmm, I've not bought software from amazon, or is office still only installing on disk?

I know office isn't free, but when I checked In the  windows store office  was listed as free.
I assume this is because you get a free trial and then after a week or so something will pop up along the lines of "toon using office send us your soul, or first born son, or bladder" or just lots of money big_smile.
I actually thought buying directly from Microsoft theoretically be cheaper as well, though again I could be wrong.

as far as the subscription goes, my only issue with that is whether office itself will stop working if subscription runs out, since while I may or may not use cloud backup service, I certainly will be using office for the conceivable future, though again, whether the subscription also gives you use of office on other machines is a concern as well since it's conceivable I'll buy a windows 10 laptop or tablet at some point.

2017-02-14 16:22:16

Sorry, I apparently wasn't clear that the subscription fee is yearly, so that's £48 yearly. And yes Amazon is offering you a code, in partnership with Microsoft, so it's a legitimate purchase as long as it's being sold by Microsoft on Amazon's marketplace. Of course, nothing says you can't renew through MS directly, if you prefer. In any event, once you register the code to your Microsoft account, you will get your 1 TB of storage and will be able to install and run the Office apps on your devices (one each of phone, tablet and computer).

Just myself, as usual.

2017-02-14 22:47:31

I would recommend purchasing 365. Still, if you really want to purchase a standalone copy of Office, you can try this.
https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/ms … .323023000

Again, I'd go ahead and purchase the Office 365 subscription as you get automatic updates and new accessibility enhancements as they are released.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-02-14 23:24:18

You could also try Libre Office, which is free, and allows you to open Microsoft Word files. I know that parts of it aren't fully accessible yet, particularly the calc program, which is, contrary to what it sounds like, a spreadsheet application like Excel. Writer, which is the equivalent of Word, is mostly accessible from what I understand, but if you need to do lots of formatting and such for your thesis, someone more knowledgable than me will have to explain whether that can be done as easily as it can with Office. Since I personally don't need lots of complex features, and have grown to despise both the ribbon interface and the bloated nature of Office in recent years, I was content to switch to this free option. But it might not work for you. I have one friend who says that using open source software is usually fine, except when it comes to an office suite. His logic seems to be that it can't possibly be as powerful or fully featured because it's not as well known in business settings. I don't know if I agree with that, but, as I said, I don't know enough about it to form an educated opinion one way or the other.

2017-02-15 07:13:38

@Turtlepower, if it were just me, I'd probably libber office, but not with what's at steak at the moment, since it'd be quite a disaster not to have the thing working.

While I'm not sure about the 365 subscription, on the other hand, I do wonder about updates and access fixes, if stand alone copies office don't get updated, since with Microsoft committing to access, updates might actually be a good idea at this point.

Btw, another random question I have enabled showing of file extensions, however I was wondering if there was a way to show specific! file extensions, since generally I don't find  every extension read helpful.

In xp and windows 7 this was all through the file types setup,  but windows 10 doesn't seem to have the same thing.

Edit: okay, I've now found what the problem is with resetting 32 bit voices, it's whenever you run the windows mobile voice, since I got the addon to run George with Nvda, and sure enough, bye bye goes my Sapi.

2017-02-15 10:20:40

Hi Dark, glad to know you got the add on working, finally.

2017-02-15 21:09:58

What's the deal with these SAPI 5 Mobile voices anyway? Why are they separate from the standard SAPI 5 engine? Is it a completely different synthesizer?

Dark, you can try reporting the SAPI reset issues to the Microsoft Accessibility Uservoice forum which can be found at https://microsoftaccessibility.uservoic … y-feedback

Out of curiosity, does this same behavior happen if you set a default voice from the 64 bit control panel? I wonder if it's abug with 32 bit?

2017-02-15 22:17:23

Is George an UK specific voice? I have only mark mobile and not sure do you get it only with UK version of windows.

2017-02-15 22:25:39

It's a UK voice. I believe it's possible to download the UK language pack in the Settings interface under language and region. Once that's done, you should have the additional mobile voices.

2017-02-15 23:30:56

Oh OK thanks, will try that.

2017-02-16 13:19:52

@Nidza, I do think the voice is specific to region, since I haven't seen mark.
The fact that the mobile voices show up as a separate synth in Nvda suggests to me  they probably are a different engine to sapi.
Then again, I don't have any 64 bit sapi programs to test them on besides narrator itself.

To be honest though it's not a major deal since I have decided for the time being to use orphius human sounding voice Alan with nvda, as while George sounds pretty good, the reaction speed is a little slow.

I'll probably have to find something else eventually, especially if I am switching from Supernova later and so don't have access to the sam engine, but I'll be okay for now.

Btw, to get back to windows 10I do have a couple more questions.

firstly, is there a way to copy folders from the start menu to the desktop? It'sirritating to install something and then only have the basic "play" icons on the desktop so that if I want to read the manual or go to the website or whatever I have to go trauling the program files folder for the actual files to create desktop shortcuts.

I've tried the applications key, but other than "pin to task bar" there doesn't seem to be an option.

I also would like to stick a wordpad icon on my desktop, as it's something I use regularly, ditto with mail, although it's possible I'll be switching to another program since while the default mail is okay I'd prefer a less irritating contacts and replies management system, ditto with a separate folder for copies of sent items and draughts, (I'll probably try out some programs and see which I like best and cooperates best with nvda).

Either way, for now if there is a way to find shortcuts of stuff in the start menu that would help a lot.

I'm still not decided about which version of office to get, whether the stand alone or the 365 version.

On the one hand, 365 is cheaper in the short term, on the other, it's probably more expensive long term since it is likely I will have this pc for at least another four or five years (possibly even more).

I don't particularly need the cloud storage as I prefer manual backups anyway, and besides, at most I'll get a laptop at some point to have a travelling machine so all the vaunted "portability" won't affect me too much, and from what I understood about the licensing if you want 365 on multiple machines you need the 5 computers version which is more expensive anyway.

On the other hand, I do wonder about updates to office especially with narrator and whether if I buy the standalone home and student version if I'll miss out on future upgrades.
this wouldn't usually be a concern with office, but I do like what is done with narrator so far, and with office being microsoft's flagship project, it is likely access upgrades will be included there first.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

2017-02-16 15:03:50

For sticking stuff to your desktop, I usually do this:
1. Press the start menu key.
2. I typed "Notepad" into the search box. (Without the quotes.)
3. When notepad icon appears in the search results, I press applications key, and arrowing to "Open file location", and hit enter. After that, windows accessories folder will open up, you will find a shortcut of the notepad icon in that folder. Press applications key again, this time, arrow to send to sub menu, and expand the menu, select Desktop (create shortcuts), and hit enter. and, bingo! Next time when you press windows plus m, or whatever keys you press to go to your desktop, you should see a notepad icon on your desktop.
Hth

2017-02-16 18:00:42

Hi socheat.
That certainly worked for wordpad which is great, also I do seem to be able to use it in program folders, eg, the draconis entertainment esp pinball classic folder to shift the icons for things like the player's guide to my desktop so I can put them where I want them.

I do wish I could just copy the hole folder, but hay.

One odd thing happened when I tried make a desktop shortcut for mail though.

Cortana said "mail trusted windows store ap" and when I bought up the context menu, the option to add to desktop wasn't there, which was very weerd indeed!

2017-02-17 15:01:39

Dark,
Glad my techniques above helped.
About the modern apps that comes with windows 10 itself, I don't know very much about them. Since I don't use them very much in my daily life of computing big_smile . I use to uninstall most of the apps that already pre-installed with windows 10.

2017-02-17 16:30:23

Well, I have uninstalled several things, though a few things like the weather ap are actually vaguely useful.
I'll likely stop using the mail ap at some point and switch to something else, but for now, it'd be nice to have a better way of finding it than the start menu.
Never mind, it doesn't take so long to hit windows key, type mail and then press enter big_smile.

2017-02-19 18:32:28

Well, I finally decided to just say "bugger it" and installed classic shell, meaning I can have the same program groups in the start menu as I used to.

think in fairness I could've got used to the actual start menu in windows 10 if it were just possible to move things around on the bloody thing! not to mention get easier access to stuff inside sub folders.

So I'm now with my familiar setup, programs in subfolders within subfolders on the start menu, desktop just used for program shortcuts to stuff I want keys for (I was even able to create a desktop shortcut for the windows mail program, though it behaves very oddly when I try adding a shortcut key). I even  start menu shortcuts to favourites and downloads.

Craaaaazy! stuff, though again why Microsoft didn't just dam well give us the start menu or at let us edit the dam thing rather than expecting people to literally build their desktop from the ground up I don't know.

Still at least it is now working and I can start installing fun stuff, I've already got vipmud installed and running which is good.

2017-02-19 19:53:06

Of course you did. Everybody does that, eventually. Congratulations. smile

I agree, standard procedure with modern Windows (works well on 8.1 also): just keep installing stuff till it doesn't suck anymore.

Just myself, as usual.