2017-01-30 09:42:25

I have a space problem on my iphone, so I would like to clear all my whatsapp data, which takes up over a gig (probably due to voice notes). But I would prefer to keep it on my computer if possible. Is there any accessible way to get it from my iphone to my laptop? I've tried exporting to dropbox but it doesn't work for all my chats (I don't know if there's a size limit above which files won't upload or something). Everything I've found on google so far has been completely inaccessible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2017-02-05 21:09:32

Try exporting to Google Drive. You get 15GB of space for free, and the Iphone app is pretty accessible as far as I can tell. This is what I did when I ran into the exact problem you mention. And I'm sorry to hear that you also went through the nightmare of trying inaccessible software. In my case it was worse; one of the programs I tried turned out to be malware, and I spent a not so fun-filled day removing it. If Apple would stop being so damn proprietary, and remove some of the limitations they impose on being able to move data between their devices and computers, certain sleazy software developers would have one less avenue for scamming people.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-02-06 08:19:18

Doesn't that service sync via an account? I'm sorry I don't use it so can't really comment any further. You could try connecting your device to iTunes and see if the data appears in the app sharing list that allows you to import and export data from specific apps. As for Apple's proprietary and closed data system, I don't see that going away. Apple does what ever they feel like, and the customer is expected to like it or take a hike.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-02-06 08:26:05

Oh, I know. And usually, I shrug it off and see it as the price of entry for using an Iphone, which isn't ordinarily that big of a deal. If I'd wanted a more open approach badly enough, I would have bought an Android device instead. But every once in awhile, crap like this happens, and I do see that greener grass on the other side of the walled garden.

You definitely can't sync your chat history from What'sapp using Itunes. This was the first thing I tried during my long search to solve this problem. There were chats that I absolutely refused to part with. While it's true that all data that is stored in apps does get backed up if you do a manual backup with Itunes, or if you use ICloud, you can't access specific data that is stored in apps in this way. So that's not an option, sadly. Even if Apple showed some flexibility in this regard, it would make our lives a lot easier. I know that's just wishful thinking on my part, but it certainly would be nice.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-02-11 16:18:41

Thanks, I'll try that. It's going to take forever on my internet though.

2017-02-12 01:13:58

No problem. :-)

And I feel your pain there, I also have what I like to refer to as snail net. It took me all night to get all my chats safely uploaded, then transferred to my computer. That reminds me, make sure that your phone doesn't lock during this process, because Google Drive won't continue uploading if it's in the background. This goes for both if the phone is locked, and if you switch to another app. it will pause the upload either way. So I would recommend uploading all the chats at night, or when you won't be using your phone for a long time, and leaving your phone plugged in so that it doesn't die during the process.

2017-06-19 10:20:06

Hello there.
I found two possibilitiys to backup your WhatsApp data. First thing is to export your chats via E-Mail, you can do that in the WhatsApp setting on your iPhone.
You can also enable the iCloud backup so the data gets uploaded to the cloud and you can delete some of your chats. I hope I could help with the problem, I am sorry if any words are strange in the post, this is my first post on a Mac and I haven't found out how to disable the auto correct feature xD.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-06-19 22:37:40

Yeah, Icloud backups are definitely a workaround, but then there's no way to actually view the chats later that I've found. Also, unless you pay for extra storage space, and/or you don't keep a lot of chats going at once on your phone, you're going to run out of space pretty quickly. Finally, maybe I'm weird, but I don't like the idea of my chats just sitting there in the cloud for an inordinate amount of time. Because, obviously, once the chats have been uploaded somewhere else, they are no longer encrypted. If none of those things bother you though, it certainly is a solution worth exploring.