2008-04-07 12:25:57

Hi.

I have found a mud to Half-life which should make it accessible. Since I don't have the game and I don't know how to install muds to it, I'm wandering if there are somebody who have sighted friends who can help you to check out the mud?
If the mud is really made to make Half-life accessible to us, I must get it asap!!!
Here is a link to the mud:
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/Hal … _v10;88943

If someone is able to test the mud, please let me know what you find out.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-04-07 14:17:26 (edited by dark empathy 2008-04-07 15:49:40)

Hmmmm Slj I'm not sure. the link to the page you provide lists it as "blind monks society mod" with no information whatsoever, ---- not even the name of whoever uploaded it.

It might just be a mod to turn all enemies in the game into ninjas or something like that. the page you provide seems just to be an uploading site, with no info about the files or what they do.

It seems a litle odd to me that if someone could get into developing a sound only interface for halflife, they wouldn't have been in contact with the main audio games sites and mailing lists (here, audeasy, and game accessibility), ---- or even more the audio quake project.

I'll do a quick google and see what I can find though just in case.

If it is indeed an accessible mod for halflife 2, I certainly know people who would be able to test it out.

Eddit eddit: okay, this is interesting! I've located the mod on a mod hosting site, and it would seem to be an audio micky take where you play as a blind monk with no graphics and audio nvagation (the chap even recommends headphones). Not only is this interesting, sinse it means a fully sited player has developed an audio game (or at least an audio mod), off his own bat for sited players, ---- but also it migh mean that audio navigation in the half-life 2 interface is possible in a similar way to audio quake.

I'm attempting to get hold of the dev's E-mail address at the moment, and will start discussion on the subject with him (annoyingly, I have to register at the mod-hosting site to be able to see a member's E-mail address, so haven't been able to do it yet).

Eddit the third: I've registered on the site and sent an enquiring mail, let's see what happens.

I'll keep people posted.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-08 02:33:56

hmm SLJ, I like your tastes
also, man I have to get that game for the computer if it can be made accessible, maybe if the mud works can you tell me where to find it?

Connor

2008-04-08 10:31:23

Cj: Half-life is not free.

Dark: You are awesome. I'm glad you'll try to contact the developers.
I didn't believe what I have seen until I tried to find more information about the mud.

Here is some interesting links you might check out:

Some genneral info about the mud:
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/win3dgame.htm
A very cool interview about the mud:
http://gamescc.rbkdesign.com/arti-views … iew_cc.php
While searching for the Half-life mud, I ran across something really cool which you must check out. This is a dutch video where they show the audio game called Deamor. I wish I could play this game. It's sounds awesome. Here is the link, and sorry to go of topic:
mms://www.accessibility.nl/games/video/DemorNosFinalGroot.wmv?SAMI=http://www.accessibility.nl/games/video/DemorNosFinalGroot.smi
Here is a link to the place where I found most of the informations:
http://www.game-accessibility.com/index … ile=papers
There are lots of articles and videos about accessibility on this site. I haven't checked out them all . This site is awesome.

Well, I can't find more information about Half-life and accessibility. I hope we can get in tutch with the developers of the mud.

Lastly, I'll tell you about my experiences with the game. I tried to play Half-life 2 for very long time ago. It was hard. Very hard But if there really is a mud which makes it more accessible, I think we can play it.
I rememver I played the first level where you are on the train station. I constantly pressed the action key while  walking around, trying to find some people to talk to, or doors I could walk through. I find some people, and I had a few confrensations. But then I was stuck. I should follow a woman through a kind of a gate, and this was hard because it was a very small gate. I got help from a sighted person to find it, and the game continues. I got some more help, and I came to a room, where I must build some stairs using some boxes, and I jumped out of the window. I don't know how we should be able to make the box-pussle to get out of the window without sighted assistance. If you bump into the boxes after you have build the stairs, they collapses!
I think it would be possible to play most of the game with a lot of audio featback. The sounds in the game are very good.

I might be able to try the mud together with one of my sighted friends if he still have the game.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2008-04-08 13:33:04

Well, I've contacted the developer. the unfortunate news is that the blindmonks society is a mod of halflife 2, not an accessible interface for the game, sinse it's used in game objects as sound sources. the good news is, that it's apparently getting a lot of sited players interested in the possibility of audio games and audio navigation.

Being a mod, you actually need a copy of halflife 2 to play it, which is a miner pest, but the developer said he'd got such a good response he was considdering creating a full audio game, ---- though he's lacking the ability to find anyone to create 3D engine at the moment (one of the reasons he chose to mod halflife 2).

If you want to here some of the mod being played, here's a link to a utube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG0XBz68AoM

The acting is incredibly funny, though the player does get rather lost part way through.

Btw people, this sort of thing is known as a mod, ie, modification of a game, not a mud.

In game terms, mud stands for multiple user dimention and means something very different indeed, and confusing the two probably wouldn't be a good idea.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-08 17:04:13

Oh, cool movie, and very fun.

I hope we'll be able to play Half-life 2 in the future. Do you know if the mud is something we can use? Or is it totally useless?

Best regards SLJ.

2008-04-08 18:18:28

If you had a copy of halflife 2, you could probably play this mod I think, though it wouldn't help you play the main halflife 2 game or any other mods of halflife 2.

In fact the developer said creating an audio game out of halflife 2 was slightly difficult sinse 3D sound in the game isn't great, which would suggest that if someone were to attempt to do for halflife 2 what Agrip has done for quake, it might be a bit of a task.

i repeat Slj, this is a mod! not a mud!

muds are, ---- as probably some people here can say, ---- fairly accessible multiplayer online text games an have nothing to do with halflife.

2008-04-08 20:57:22

I'll also note that even AGRIP audio quake has severe problems with the included maps and has to pretty much make its own. Conventional maps can often include far too many confusing levels, etc in the 3D environment. I recall briefly poking around the original half life while I had sight, as well as various various other games in the "FPS" genre. Accessible maps would be almost essential.

It is most interesting though.

And I agree with Dark, if I hear it called a mud again I'll probably get quite flustered. I know muds, this is not a mud. Muds stemmed from old fashioned role playing games, mods stemmed from a game which can be altered in some fundamental manner.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-08 21:29:26

That's one reason audio quake is stil sitting in my testing area folder, --- sinse I haven't yet decided to keep it or not. i stil haven't got around those weerd error messages which I get just before the 9th map of the tutorial, and I haven't had much luck with the main game as yet, ---- actually, locating some more singleplayer maps to play would be nice. Deathmatch against the bots is fun, ---- but only for a quick blast.

I'm interested to see what tom ward's 3D engine is going to turn out like, sinse it's supposedly going to be full 3D with vertical objects, not just modified 2D from an fps perspective as with terraformers, or the Gma engine.

what's interesting about the mod though is that apparently a lot of halflife 2 with fully working sets of eyeballs players have been intreagued by the concept, --- which is one reason why the developer's considdering a 3D engine with extensive sound support and a longer game (sinse I believe the mod is quite short).

I offered him links to places where he'll hopefully find resources for such a project, such as gameaccessiblity.com, so we'll see what comes of this.

2008-04-08 22:56:23

you know what could be done I think or should be done?
I think if I remember correctly that there is a mod of Half Life II called Gary's Mod
there's only a few areas in the version I watched my fully sighted brother play, and you can spawn enemies I think and just enjoy it.

(its not the game its kinda like just a thing but it uses all the half life guns and stuff)
trust me it was awesome

Connor

2008-04-09 01:01:33

there are many awsome things which annoyingly aren't accessible. Unfortunately as I said, the blind monks mod placed sound sources from the game in strategical locations so that it could be an audio game, it didn't modify the game engine or interface in any way to make it more accessible.

Besides, if all you want is a spawning enemy combat fest with lots of guns, ---- try audio quake.

2008-04-09 06:39:59

Too true dark. But I think CJ here was thinking something more along the lines of CounterStrike, with, if you'll pardon me, better sounds and more weapons.

Discord: clemchowder633

2008-04-09 18:36:15

As in alternative multiplayer modes than deathmatch and team deathmatch?

Myself I would like to see more variety of weapons too. Quake is a good start, but no audio game yet has weapons with dual fire modes as in the mainstream.

Examples from the original half life -
Pistol can fire more steadily, or faster but less accurately
Assault rifle can fire bullets, or fire a grenade from its built in launcher
Shotgun can fire single shots, or a spread shot that is a lot more powerful up close where many of the different shots hit the target at once.
Crossbow can fire explosive projectiles, or can swap to a zoomed sniper mode where it fires non explosive but quiet shots.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-09 20:54:00

True, audio quake is only scratching the surface of what may be done in terms of weapons, fps deathmatch etc, and I do agree on the sound business.

2008-04-10 00:05:33

no, I was thinking of a mod of half-life and Dark, I have audio quake already, but something like counter strike would be cool as well,

Connor

2008-04-13 15:18:54

Hi,

SLJ wrote:

http://www.game-accessibility.com/index … ile=papers
There are lots of articles and videos about accessibility on this site. I haven't checked out them all . This site is awesome.

Thanks, we (Sander and Richard of AudioGames.net) made it wink

Greets,

Richard