2008-04-05 02:37:05

Hi all...

I'm a fairly avid chess-player but have fairly limited competition. I have huge archives of some interesting games, but they can only teach me so much.
Do any of you play chess, either by some sort of accessible but semi-conventional means over the internet or, though this is odd, via IM programs using the algebraic notation? I'm familiar with the second, can play games in my head without a board, and am confident enough in how that system works to teach chess-players who don't know it how to use it in short order.

That said: if anyone wants my MSN info, or wants to discuss this further, please shout out in here. I really want some competition...it doesn't necessarily matter how good you are. I'm not a grandmaster or anything. Heh. I'm no pushover either, though. In any case, I look forward to hearing from some folks.

Just a quick note: I really wish the old-school Chessmaster programs were either freeware, accessible, or both. Chess against a computer opponent in an accessible interface would be most wonderful.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2008-04-07 20:38:30

Fine, no one reply. Heh.

Just to clarify what I mean by chess notation, I'll give a quick description and example.
White's queen's rook starts on the a1 square. Rows are numbered, columns are lettered. That said, black's king's rook is on h8. When denoting where a pawn moves, you just say the square it's moving to. When denoting where another piece moves, it's R for rook, N for knight, B for bishop, Q for queen, K for king. To kill a piece, you say "knight x (square designation)", or, for instance, Nxd5. - in the case of a pawn, you simply use the square designations (for instance, exd5). The square designation for the pawn which is capturing is letter only. To denote check, the + sign is used. To denote king-side castling, the o-o or 0-0 symbol is used...just insert an extra -0 at the end for queen-side castling. To denote checkmate, the # is used.
So  I'll give a fairly simple example of how it works:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 d6
4. Bxc6+ bxc6
5. d4 exd4
6. Nxd4 Nf6
7. Nc3 Be7
8. 0-0 0-0

Now, that's a really lame example, but it uses a good number of pieces and makes the point.

Any interest yet? *poke*

2008-04-07 22:08:37

Jayde, I used to play chess years ago, but having a brother who was supremely and incredibly good, ---- was under 21's Vi champion for the Uk for a while, sort of put a damper on things. it's something I've been meaning to investigate and get back into and is sitting in that big pile of stuff to do.

unfortunately, I don't feel confident enough to play completely without a board, and I'd be an absolute knockout even if i got a board and set it up.

in my absolutely gigantic heap of things to investigate though is the Arkangles kchess programs, Kchess Advance and Kchess ilete, which both work with screen readers (though it doesn't mention Hal only Jaws and window eyes), and speak to some extent as well.

Perhaps these programs would provide you with some helpful computerized opponents, which would at least vaguely improve your game and give you some playing oppertunities.

I intend to check them out myself, but as I said that "things I need to look into" pile is a bit indomitable, ---- everytime I chop things out of it, it just seems to get larger and larger, lol!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-07 22:38:14

Where can you get them?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-07 22:46:01

If I could demo them, I might, but without knowing what I'm getting nor how useful it'd be, I dunno.

I'm by no means an under-21 VI champ for the UK or anything like that. First, I'm Canadian. Second, I'm 24. Third, I'm not a champion, though I've placed second before in a tournament, during high school this was.

If you had a  board and understood the notation I gave a nod to earlier in my last post, you could at least try. And, for my part, the way I got better was from playing a Slovenian in my eighth-grade class almost nonstop whenever I could, because he was really good and I was still learning.

2008-04-08 00:40:37 (edited by dark empathy 2008-04-08 00:42:53)

Ooooh! I'm having a day of forgetting stuff, left my bank card in the bank this morning and had to run to get it, for the third time forgot that I now am an ubrella owner so consequently got soaked, and almost forgot my cheque book later on this after noon.

to continue my heads' resemblance to a bucket, I now forget to post links, ----- oooopse! Here you go http://www.arkangles.com/kchess/index.html
There are two programs, advanced and illete. advanced has fewer features, but is cheaper, and both have demos, ---- so hopefully plenty of choice there.

It really is a long time sinse I've played chess Jayde, I used to go to the braille chess association tournaments with my brother and would come mid range, ---- once I even went to the international under 21s in belgium, sinse they didn't have enough young Vi british players to make up the team. I came 21st out of about 50 in the tournament rankings, which I was quite happy with.

that was about eight years ago though, and I haven't played sinse.

I deffinately would want some experience with Chess before I tired playing against someone, ---- pluss, sinse my visualization (along with my spacial awareness), is absolutely pants, I'd need to physically keep a board, which would mean buying a braille one! I have a beautiful Lotr chess set, but it's not really accessible for actually playing the game of chess with, and I'd forget which piece was which.

I'll get back to you on this one though, ---- perhaps when I've had chance to check out the kchess program.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-08 01:20:45

Thanks. I bookmarked it so that I can get one of them and give it a try.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-08 02:20:08

Well, it seems that the "average" level is about as good as any expert I've ever played. I dunno, there's novice (which I wail on), average and expert wail on me. Average, though, I stand a fighting chance.

I wonder if "elite has more options. And I'm wondering how long these demos last.

2008-04-08 19:51:35

I believelite does have more difficulty options, but I'm not certain, ---- so long as the wailing is constructive, --- but the webpage above provides very detailed info I think, ---- perhaps I'll move kchess further up the pile of stuff I need to investigate and take a look at it soon.

2008-04-08 22:01:56

Turns out there's a little depth indicator, of sorts, in with Elite's Strength options. It goes from 0 to 45 in increments of 3. It was always set on 45 for both  "average" and "expert" so there was essentially no difference. I bumped it way down, smoked the AI, bumped it back up again, won again, then went a little higher and really had to scrap for it. I'm sitting at 36 right now.
And I'll have you know: I -loathe the Najdorf Sicilian.

2008-04-09 00:49:48 (edited by dark empathy 2008-04-09 00:53:54)

Hmmm, stratified difficulty, that's sounding interesting!

I once new a few openings, but mostly I've rather forgotten them, in fact one reason I'd like a look at this program is to get propper info on the appropriate openings and defences.

In fact the main differences betwene illete and advanced seem to be that illete comes with more info, an encyclopedia etc, which might be handy, and sinse the price difference wouldn't be tood bad I might considder it, ---- after I get a set, a board, and have tried the program with hal of course.

though I don't want to get too engrosed, my brother used to have two of those small hand held chess computers, one of which he'd perminantly keep in the loo so that he could play a continuous game everytime he went, ---- lol! Luckily our house had two toilets so we were never stuck waiting outside for him to get checkmate, ---- ;D.

yes, my brother was obsessed!

2008-04-09 01:26:22

LOL. That has to  be bad and he isn't welcom at my house. Well, I don't know him, so I don't know, but I'll give that chess game a try ASAP and not in the loo. Hope you are not that bad or good depending on who's point of view.

DropBox Referral

2008-04-09 07:06:57

Dark, you could do everything you need with Elite, so long as you know the notation...which you probably do. A board -definitely  helps though, mind you.

Update: beat the AI on 42 difficulty using Filidor's Defense as black. Won with a two-rook and knight mate after sacrificing a bishop and my queen to free up the center-board before he could hide and castle. Heehee.

2008-04-09 17:19:07

Hmmm Jayde, as I said my lousy spacial sense would make life difficult if you have to review the pieces with a screen reader. I'll deffinately see about getting a board first though.

2008-04-09 19:06:21

LOL. I always wanted to learn chess and this program is teaching the hard way. can't tel how many times I been beatoned. I finally set it to easy and I am slowly learning how to play. If i don't stop, I'll be hooked. Wish I had one those pocket chest computer things that I could use, but then again, me not having one could be a good thing. me going down the sidewalk. tap tap king from f2 to f4 and oops didn't see that trash can.

DropBox Referral

2008-04-10 04:15:53

CW, if you have MSN and can make sense of the rules, I can  help as well if you have a board.

2008-04-10 15:41:38

I don't have a board. Wish I did, and do I have to remember all those rules?

DropBox Referral

2008-04-11 00:14:54

Well, here in England you can get accessible chess boards from the Rnib, so I imagine similar organizations in other countries would sell them, --- the same sort of organizations that sell braille playing cards and such.

As to remembering all the rules, their not too bad to learn basically I found, though castling, enpassen (which I'm probably missspelling horribly), and some of the finer points of checkmate I found tripped me up for a while until I was used to them.

Luckily, anyone, --- even a computer program can explain the rules, it's masteries them that's the tricky part.

As soon as I actually have some money I'll see about ordering a braille chess board and trying out one of the chess programs myself.

2008-04-11 01:17:29

It seem to plan my moves for me and refuse to let me make my on disasions. for exple. I have three ponds. Each of them can be move, but it only lets me move a surton one.

DropBox Referral

2008-04-11 04:22:51

CW, make sure that in the case of your pawns that can move, you aren't blocking them with other pieces or that moving a pawn won't put your king in check. If your king gets attacked directly as a result of moving a piece, you can't move that piece.

As for braille boards? I dunno...I've never used one, and learned on the average run-of-the-mill cardboard-and-plastic jobs elementary students tend to play on. I now own one made of wood whose white squares are recessed and whose black pieces have small pins in their tops, and whose basis is a pegboard (small pegs in the bases of the pieces fitted into holes in the center of each square basically mean it's hard to knock something over and literally impossible to just bump something out of true). But so long as I know the size of the board and the free area just around its outside (most boards have 'em), it doesn't matter. Essentially, as long as you're against an opponent who'll make do for the occasional half-on half-off pieces and/or as long as you know your rules and your calls, it's really really easy, and you don't need to shell out big bucks for an accessible board. I find my wooden one's a treat, but I could do fine without one.

Also consider: you can make your own accessible board if you can get a way of figuring how to lightly outline the squares on a pre-existing board and to differentiate the black and white pieces.

Dark, the move you speak of is called "en passant", it's French for "in passing", and that's literally what you're doing. Here's how it works.
If you move a pawn up two squares from its original position, and it ends up directly beside one of my pawns, I can capture it en passant as if it had only moved once.
Reall simple example, and if you know the notation this'll be nothing at all:
1. E4 d5
2. E5 f5
3. Exf6 (there's your en-passant capture, nailing the f-pawn as if it had been sitting on f6, diagonal to the e5 pawn). I have used this move three times, and never found it useful. I castle all the time though. Castling's great fun.

2008-04-11 07:37:56

Yep, emm passant took me a while to get my head around, and these days I don't bother with it. wow jayde, your memorization must be bloody good. When I talk about a braille board, I did in fact mean one of the wooden ones you describe with the peg pieces and recessed squares. I personally find I need it to spot the various diagonals, get an overview, and think out my game plan, and I'd have difficulty if I was unable to access that overview.

My brother can play chess entirely in his head without a board, ---- in fact I once saw him beat three of his friends by yelling out mooves while he watched an anime, ---- his friends had access to the board, and he didn't. I've also seen him play a simultanious chess game against several opponents at once.

Me though, I'm afraid I'm reliant on that physical overview.

this doesn't just go for chess though. I find any position related game hard without access to a full overview of the information involved. I've never had any luck with any of the solitare varients, gma mine sweeper or jim kitchin's battleships game, and even in sound rts, I use the map overview commands a heck of a lot.

It's probably something to do with my lousy sense of spacial awareness.

2008-04-11 15:16:05

LOL. Spotting the diaganals seem to be the easy thing for me. Guess I'll just practice until I master it. Oh yeh, White pon From A2 to a4

DropBox Referral

2008-04-11 15:36:49

Dark, I'm not saying you don't need a board at all, I'm only saying you could use a normal board and  probably get the same result.

2008-04-14 01:45:48

Well, I have played chess on a standard board before, ---- once even on an outside board where the pieces were around three feet high, --- that was fun, ;D. And the fact that I can see the difference betwene the black and white pieces does of course help.

it's just a preference thing I suppose Jayde, also me not exactly being the most deft fingered person ever, I am inclined to knock pieces off squares while moving them (another advantage of the three foot tall pieces, ;D).

next time I go home though, I'll see what I can find in terms of a board, then I'll try the chess programs with hal.

2008-04-14 02:24:56

I like the selfvoicing part of this chess program, but I wish I had more voices for it. Is just me, or is the keyboard commands close to the chess one on the mac?

DropBox Referral