2017-01-21 14:39:08

This is (hopefully) a simple question....

What is the easiest language to learn to get into making audiogames that isn't tearing your hair out frustratingly complex?

Or, in other words, is there a simple, yet powerful language out there I can piece together without needing to learn 500,000,000,000 functions and keep track of all the indents and the declarations of this bracket is this size and so on?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-01-21 15:02:10

moderation: slightly edited the topic subject to make it easier to understand, because it just said the letter e. Your post came out absolutely fine though, so hopefully this small edit will let others help you.
I don't know why the topic subject was just one letter, that's a little odd.

2017-01-21 20:32:08 (edited by The Dwarfer 2017-01-21 20:35:01)

There's bgt, but honestly if you were looking to do something with MMO characteristics, I wouldn't recommend it. It's specialized for audio games, has built ins for audio games, has a user manual, references, examples, includes, and a community full of helping people and helper modules... that's about as simple as you're gonna get it, bud. You still will learn what classes are, what object handles and arrays and dictionaries and variables are, what annoying vague compilation errors are... it's all part of programming. Even though I use Python and love it, I wouldn't recommend it to someone like you because there's a lot of library installing, and you would have to go through a nice little course to get yourself familiar. (It took me 6 weeks because I wasn't well versed in Object Oriented Programming).
Oh yeah, also, one of the easiest features of BGT, is that in order to turn your game from a piece of source code or 2 into an executable so that everyone can play, you just have to hit the magic little "Compile (release)" option in the right click menu of your main script. So basically... no worries on compilation there...

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2017-01-22 02:58:46

Every tool and language has its own advantages and disadvantages, regardless of which you pick you'll still have to learn some of the fundamentals. Using Engines like BGT can be a bit easier because they abstract things with convient functions, but this can be limiting as the engines typically only do things a certain way, or can't do some things at all which may not be what you want.

In the long run, I think picking up Python may be a better choice as its one of the easier languages to learn, has lots of documentation, and a helpful community. It may seem overwhelming with all the functions there are, but realistically you'd only use about a dozen or so regularly, looking up and cherry picking others as you need them. Also remember that there are people here who can help out if you get stuck.

To quote Cypher from the movie The Matrix: "You get used to it. I…I don’t even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, red-head. Hey, you uh… want a drink?"

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-01-22 07:48:00

I'm going to have to go with BGT, just because it does handle a lot of the complicated stuff for you as a beginner, and is tailored especially to making audiogames.

As has been said, in the long run there would be other languages that will allow you to do things that BGT is not meant for, but I wouldn't let that distract you from the question you've asked.  The easiest to learn, and get audio games up and running, is probably BGT.  When you've learned a lot more, and eventually need to do projects not well suited to BGT, that is the time to learn something new.  People get a little ahead of themselves trying to plan for something that may be years away, and it can complicate things in the here and now.

I've never told anyone to avoid playing Castaways because it is nothing like playing Swamp.  Someone plays Castaways, learns the controls, and spends time playing the game.  When they want to move on to a new game, they learn the new controls.  With games no one worries that the current game doesn't have the same controls as future games you'll play, because we all know that learning the controls just comes along with learning each new game.  Programming languages, in my opinion, should be treated the same way.  If you're able to learn how 1 language works, you can learn the next one even faster, and the next one and next one.  Take them 1 at a time and life is much easier than trying to find the perfect one that has the "same controls" as future languages you're possibly going to use years from now.

Just my opinion.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-01-22 09:11:47

Hello to all of you, i also have the same problem.
I want to start learning python, due to it's easy language sintax.
I know that programming is not a verry easy thing to do, but i just don't knoew where to start learning, whitch websites to use, or what to trust!

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-01-22 09:31:03

Oops. Yeah, "in the long run" may be a bit of a red herring, heh. These questions always end up with differing opinions, but languages all tend to share certain similarities with each other so picking one up will inevitably help in learning others as you go. All that really matters here is finding one your comfortable with and going from there, whether its BGT, Python, or anything else.

@ashleygrober04
As mentioned BGT is a good beginner engine to use, which you can find [here], you can also grab Python over [here], and a Python Tutorial over [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer