2017-01-18 21:45:40

Does anyone know if there's accessible gamnes in the following genres:

City builder
Racing (either mangement or driving. I'm not bothered)

I looked at Pitwall but that's not my thing, I tried going back to BATRacer, but that's run into a lot of legal issues the past few years and lost a ton of players, I've tried the audio only racing games but growing up on Papyrus's Indycar 1 and 2 it's just not the same.

I#'m especially interested in an accessible city builder to be honest, I want something to replace my SimCity/Cities Skyline addiction that I can gt on my laptop and kick back without focusing on a screen and using my headphones.

So...yeah. Anything out there? I'm hoping there is or I may have to go bug a few of the people I know to actually make a game. Yeah, like that'll go anywhere...I have my own personal issues with demanding people make games. It's a long, long story....

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-01-18 21:48:56

Castaways is somewhat of a city builder.  www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/castaways.zip
There is also a Castaways 2, but the first one is more of a city builder than the second one... if you're ideally looking for a sim city replacement.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-01-20 15:35:29 (edited by JaceK 2017-01-20 17:17:05)

I'll give Castaways a go, yeah I'm ideally looking for something like SimCity and I'm honestly hoping somebody makes an accessible game that's better than SC4 (my personal fave of the series here...don't get me going on the 2013 game. It's awful....)

I got pointed to Dwarf Fortress, though that's not really a city builder and I managed to do my usual trick in games and find lava within about 5s of starting. Way to go me...but ya, gonna go grab both Castaways games and see if they're what I'm looking for.

EDIT: Okay got it working, it's stupidly addicting. It's absolutely worth the download....I'm getting an great settlers vibe from it.

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-20 20:02:57

DracoSelene, I'm glad you're enjoying it!  It definitely isn't the same as the SimCity games (I've enjoyed those as well), but it is about the closest thing I could think of from the audio games we have.  Someone may pop on here at any time, and list a game that is closer to actual SimCity.  In the mean time, good luck keeping those castaways fed and alive.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-01-20 21:13:25

Yep I'm getting a major, major Settlers series vibe  from Castaways, I'm not sure if that was intentional or not but it's a good thing. I'm hoping other people can point out more games, I'm not sure how easy accessible Dwarf Fortress is from a fresh install.

I'm slowly getting to rips with Castaways, I'm wondering though, in sandbox mode can I do what Dungeon Keeper used to do and set enemies to spawn in or not? I wish there was an accessible Dungeon Keeper style game, because those two games were just simply awesome...then the less said about Bullfrog and Peter Molyneux the better...

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-20 21:28:02

DracoSelene, I've never played the Settlers games, but I've heard good things.  I get a Knights and Merchants vibe from Castaways, and I'll admit it reminded me enough of that game early in development that I probably steered things in that direction as I continued making the game.

You can't spawn in enemies in sandbox, sorry.  Dungeon keeper is another classic, and actually on my PC right now I have both Dunegon keeper games and Theme park from Bullfrog!

I'm not aware of any audio games that will feel like Dungeon keeper, but if I stretch things quite a bit I might be able to recommend parts of Castaways 2 for that.  In Castaways 2 (which in general is Not like Dungeon keeper), you can dig out mines under your plot of land and it had a little bit of a DK feel.

What other game types have you been searching for?  It sounds like we grew up with the same set of classics.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-01-20 21:41:15

Well...strategy, management, racing, simulation mostly are my four genres but the ones I absolute put above everying else are RPG and adventure games, I grew up on Bullfrog games, Origion's Chris ROberts games (and I still, STILL hate Strike COmmander for that one mission...gah!), and Lucasarts adventure games.

Also the X-Wing games too, I have fond memories of X Wing and TIE Fighter, though I'd rather take TF over XW any day...oh boy have I annoyed people with the argument that really, the Empire weren't all bad...heh.

So yeah, any of those genres or game types, I just wish somebody would make an accessible RCT game that was out of this world. I have Park BOss. I'm slightly addicted to that one too, and I also have a hankering for a GoT type game...so there you go, that's the genres I'm into and my favorite devs.

Also, oddly enough I grew up on the EA sports games, shout out to the NHL games, and then my love for the real NHL, though it's cost me a few friends who don't support my teams....though we all agree the Sabres awful really and that hockey is Canada's secret weapon to take over the world.

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-20 22:16:19

Oh man, I used to Love the old X-wing and TIE fighter games!  Full throttle was a lucasarts title right?  I'm not entirely sure I'm remembering correctly on that one.

Strategy and management are in fairly good supply, or at least that's where most of my games fit in.  I'm not sure about the rest, but people who have played more audio games might have some suggestions.

I've never enjoyed sports games, with the exception of maybe good old Hyperblade.  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-01-20 22:30:29

I was about to recommend parkboss, as probably the closest we have to a sim city style city builder with actual geographic placement of objects.

I tried dwarf fortress, but me and ascii don't mix and the tyler  mode killed screen reader accessible text, then again the only roguelike I've ever had any luck with was angband and that by a strange combination of my decidedly limited vision, the large tyle set and my screen reader, so it didn't surprise me with dwarf fortress.
I'm fairly sure a sim city or dungeon keeper style audio game would be doable, and I'm still waiting to see what happens with castaways 2, though I would suggest checking out all of Aprone's games on principle since they're rather fun but not really genre specific in most cases.

One game I can recommend though if you have access to Ios is king of dragon pass. It's sort of a combination of resource management, gamebook and rpg as you take on rule over a bronze age tribe in a magical world, having to deal with various events, settle new teretory and! cope with magic as well as politics.
It's a very deep game with lots going on and if you have access to an Ios device I can highly reccommend it. Not exactly sim city, but probably a game you'd like given the interests you mention.

As to sims and racing, racing has never been my thing exactly but I've heard good reports of some of the topspeed audio racers.
For more general vehicle sims there have been some very good efforts in audio. Most recently tube sim from the maker of parkboss and also eurofly, which is a flight sim.
I'd also recommend both Zero site and it's expantion if your looking for a fighter jet game, and of course Gma tank commander which is sort of a landmark title as audiogames go.

Hth.

Btw, if you go to the front of site (when the site is back up and running), you can use the "search games" link to look by genre as well as developers. Genres include simulation games, rpgs, and stratogy games.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-20 23:53:46

@Dark:

I got Park Boss, it's fun and frustrating at the same time but I'm ever so slowly learning it. Like Aprone said Castaways 1/2 is fun, I just have to keep in mind it's like the Settlers series (Aprone I seriously suggest you read up on those games....) meets the early ANno games (again...similar themes) and Knights and Merchants..

Speaking of strategy, barring WarSim, which jumps to mind, anyone know of any grand strategy games? By that, I mean stuff like Crusader Kings 2 as a reference, it's essentially the whole of Europe from 700AD to 1600 but it's not accessible at all...then again something similar that's accessible, yes please!

I'll snag the top speed games in a while:

Full Throttle was indeed Lucasarts, and an underrated adventure. I'm still split on The Dig though, that game was mind bendingly bizarre. Yet I absolutely loved Broken Sword 1/2. Even the infamous goat puzzle...3 I wasn't entirely struck on and the new one that came out...nah.

It always amazes me how many games Lucasarts put out during their lifetime and how little people remember the less famous ones.

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-21 11:45:54

I played through broken sword with a friend of mine, her reading the text and clicking, both of us guessing on the puzzles, though yee gods did the sewer key get used a lot big_smile.
There are actually several audio adventure games of that type with more being built, ie, choose from a menu and use actions. The first couple of efforts were fairly simplistic but they're becoming more complex, check under audioadventures when the site is back online.

Unfortunately for really huge empire building stratogy we don't have anything accessible yet because of the usual reason, that audiogame devs are all working independently, don't have millions  to put into development, and even many of the tools and shortcuts used by most graphical indi devs these days aren't usable to create audio or accessible games.

Games like Castaways and castaways 2 are probably the best we have for single player audio stratogy right now. There are a tonne of browser stratogy games that are accessible with a screen reader, ---- go over to www.whitestick.co.uk to check out a list. However I must confess my interest in those tends to flag since the usual game style is simply minimax for tick based resources, build up tick based resources and attack other players.

There's no environmental management, technological progress or major exploration factor to the game and usually things are very much geered just around who can out minimax their opponent.
Personally i'm really not! a pvp fan, one reason I'd love a single player stratogy and development game, I adored both castaways and lunimals for this reason.

There are some none pvp based browser games though, though most of the better ones fall into adventure/rpg teretory rather than stratogy.
Core exiles (a spaceship based mmorpg) Sryth, Kingdom of loathing (for comedy), and puppet nightmares are probably the online mmorpgs I've spent most time on.

Then there are muds which are something of a hole other ball game and take some getting used to, but are worth it if you can.
Alteraeon indeed as I said in the introductions topic boarders on being a full audio online rpg owing to the massive use of sounds (though bare in mind muds are mostly text).
Before however I recommend everything under the sun I'd probably better stop big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-21 14:41:43

I hear ya and it's a shame really...I'm hoping things change, Playing around with Aprone's darkgrue book thingy currently, it's not perfect but hey, it's actually pretty decently good for what I want, it's a start to telling stories really.

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-23 17:57:50

Darkgrue works well, though if you want something with a little more  flexibility you could go over to www.choiceofgames.com and look at their choice script language.

There is also www.chooseyourstory.com, though I don't know how advanced their  story creation tools are, also there is a lot of drek on the site, albeit a few good stories (take note of the site).

One other thing that occurred to me in terms of empire building is empire mud.
Website here

You'll need a mud client program since it's a mud, something like vipmud from www.gmagames.com, but that is a game where you can build up an empire, build houses, move around locations etc.

I confess I never got on that well with it, mostly because when I tried I think I got stuck on a map which lots of other people had used and couldn't find a place to build my empire, but others have spoken highly of the game in the past.

2017-01-23 21:03:32

i'd love to see aprone build an elite type game a true space sim. he could certainly do it by the quality of games like swamp. that's 1 thing this community needs.

2017-01-23 21:48:07

Ya know...if anyones's going to build a space sim, a proper type one I'd love to be able to have a capital ship and just walk around it at will honestly and give orders by interacting with the crew. Just my pipe dream here.

Actually tried Empire MUD a little while ago and didn't get on with it that well honestly but I was being a stubborn soul and using telnet...because I can tongue I've really gotten into TDV though so that takes care of my racing game itch for now until something just as fun and good comes along.

Actually....ya know what another of my dream games is?

How many here have heard of Interstate 76? Take one part 1970s cars. Take another part huge guns. Take a third part good story and gameplay and a handling model....and blend it all together....If anyone ever makes an I76 racing combat game....yes. Oh yes please...I just miss that game so much....mostly the style, 70s groove, big explosions and oh man the soundtrack....it was all just awesome. The sequel? Nah. Interstate 76 all the way for sheer style yeah!

I'm honestly wondering if paying a few audiogame devs to make my dream game would ever end well...not that I a) want to ror b) know where to start. I really don't want to go throwing money at...for instance, Dark or Aprone or Nick or the GMA team to make my ideal game because my tastes are so out there it probably wouldn't sell well. Actually....ya know....why are sales the only metric if a game's successful or not.

Then again, there's games that don't sell well but are cult hits. Just like movies really...

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-24 11:32:56

@Darren, if you mean in terms of something realtime with actual 3D space combat like elite has, I agree we need a game, though I'll say that for something turn based the smugglers series does pretty well.

@DracoSelene89.  You can throw money at me if you like, but I'm not actually a developer, I'm promotion/publicity/hassle developers to make stuff accessible guy.
In truth though the sales metric with audiogames is a little different, since people tend to respect good design in the community a lot better, however just by virtue of available resources and who has time to do what, since your talking about indi developers who have to programm mostly from scrach with no convenient tools, your still looking at something relatively minimal, albeit audiogames have very much improved.

On the racing idea I can't really help as racing games have never been my thing, though if your a fan of vehicle sims I'd also recommend zero site, and good old gma tank commander.

For the ship idea, well you could get the idea of walking round your own ship and even saying orders to the computer with some of the space muds, albeit the only space mud I've had actual success with is cosmic rage.
Empire mud I confess I never got on with myself, partly because I found the staff less than helpful, but there are a lot of good muds out there, albeit the only other mud which had actual strategical empire building I know of was Wayfare1444, which sadly shut down recently (a shame it was a good game with great potential).

I'd recommend not using telnet for muds for one very simple reason. Namely with muds you need to be aware of the text that comes in as soon as humanly possible in order to react to it.
This is where mud clients that interact with a screen reader directly help you.

vipmud is the client I prefer, though people have also had success with musclient.

If you ever fancy alteraeon I would! recommend the mushZ custom client which is based on mushclient, just because it virtually converts alteraeon into an audiogame, ie, a full on audio mmorpg which is a good thing indeed.

2017-01-24 12:41:02

I went through a MUD/MU* phase in college and got burned out on MUDS honestly, I'm much more into the single player side of games honestly.

I would also second the Smugglers game, those are insanely fun games for the price and accessibility features, I seem to always go and be an evil, evil character in those games....just syaing.
I was wondering why across the entire games industry people only see a game as successful if it sells a ton of copies, though I respect indie devs and they are certainly not tied into a contract that says oh you have to make X games in Y year and get Z money for it. Far as throwing money at people...aside from buying helpful people food or a drink that's all I throw my money at people for honestly smile

I like the GMA Tank Commander game but the price puts me off getting it honestly, if it went on sal sale for half price I'd snap it up no questions asked. Then again I don't like paying over the odds for anything as is really.

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-24 16:06:55

I'd agree on the smugglers games, I've been involved with the series since s3 and have beta tested s4 for the screen reader mode fix, as well as both versions of s5, albeit I usually end up more as destructive commander of the spacefleet (piracy involves too much running away big_smile).

In terms of audiogames, the metric is a little different simply because there aren't many people buying them. Nobody writes audiogames specifically to make a living or even make a prophet, though usually if games do sell well it'll sustain development of more gains which is one reason why this site is absolutely against any accessible game piracy. The one thing audiogames can help with is indi game sales like the smugglers series since when your not looking to sell to many customers to begin with, the few extra customers from the audiogames sector will generally make more of a difference, plus the community on average tends to be very loyal and willing to spend money on games.

For the mainstream industry, well since mainstream game companies don't give a rat's rear about access, I don't really care, though i will say I do miss the 16 bit era and the days when my level of site and the games that were produced on mainstream consoles sort of vaguely matched despite my lack of ability to read print (I love the metroid and mega man games). That's why I got into audiogames in the first place.

With muds, I will say that I'm not exactly a multiplayer bod either, but I've found a lot of muds which you can essentially pretend! are single player games, ie, just rely on your own progress and don't bother with others.
Alteraeon certainly falls into this category (though asking for advice on the newbie channel helps), as does Frandom, I believe cosmic rage might as well, though that one is only just getting started.

2017-01-24 17:28:09

Oh yes Smugglers 4/5/Secession are well, well worth the price Niels is asking and I'd gladly pay a bit more really, say $25 for a pack with all three, but those games are very much worth it and have tons of content to keep playing with.

That's my  pet peeve with gaming in general, I don't want to spend £50 or $60 on a game that I am done with in 4 or 5 hours and there's no replay value at all, that's the thing. Honestly if more companies put out demos I'll try them out, I've got the GMA demos and play them but can't see myself putting down the asking price unless their stuff goes on sale at some point because I personally don't think there's enough content there to justify my purchase. Whereas somebody else may play the demo for five minutes and then go on and buy it straight away. We're all different really. That's the thing that makes each gamer different.

That being said....I'm just a bit concerned really that I'll buy an audiogame and find I don't really like it and as you can't usually get refunds....I'd be stuck with a game I dislike.

Which...yeah....more devs need to put out demos first. I mean, go back 10 or even 15 years, you had demos online or on cover discs and so on, you could try a game before purchasi8ng. Whatever happened to that..?

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-24 18:13:55

Actually, the sad thing with smugglers series for me is that i cant play it, cause i'm using nvda. For some unknown reason i have a stupid video card which is not good for jaws, do not know whats the problem with it..

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-01-24 20:58:55

@Arnold, JAws is not good with the smugglers games anyway last I heard, Nvda's screen review curser will work fine once you know the correct navigation keys for it.
I'm not the person to ask since supernova has always played nicely with the smugglers games, but I suggest checking in the smugglers 5 topic, or Thios guide in the articles room

@DracoSelene, actually most audiogames do have demos, a few don't, but usually the ones that don't don't cost much.
Gma tank commander does have a demo so I'd recommend giving it a try.
With audiogames I'll say i'm a little bit more generous in  considering whether or not I wish to buy a game based on the fact that I'm supporting the developer as well as buying a game for myself. Not that I would buy an audiogame I actively disliked or couldn't see myself running through a time or to, but I wouldn't mind spending on a game like Gma tank commander if I thought I'd get fun  out of it, whether or not I'm going to be playing it years from now, ---- though on that score quite often I'll run a favourite game just for fun, indeed I'm not sure when I last played gma tank commander myself to say I bought it back in 2006 big_smile.

Still it's up to you as you said and different people's milage, preferences etc may vary quite a bit.

2017-01-24 21:40:22

Dark... Dont know, i tried smugglers 3 with nvda and it didn't work, but maybe smugglers 5 does.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-01-24 21:58:24

Nope, 3's interface was entirely different to the 4 and 5 games.
4 revamped everything and the same interface was had for both versions of 5 and the download packs.
If you want to try smuglers, start with s5 secession, which is the best version of the secession game anyway, then if you enjoy that you can go on to invasion and the downloadable extras.

I am a little surprised Nvda doesn't play nice with 3 as 3 is probably the most windows standard interface next to 1, then again I am no expert on Nvda.
Either way, start with s5 Secession.

Btw, s2 is entirely inaccessible owing to all of the item picture upgrades being entirely unlabeled, and s1 is virtually a different game anyway, and much much simpler.