2017-01-13 02:03:42 (edited by Jeffb 2017-01-13 02:09:30)

There is a big issue with audio description on TV in the US. The issue is that blind watchers have to compete with those who wish to watch shows in Spanish. This frustration can’t just be from the blind right? Wouldn’t those that speak Spanish also get frustrated when a show is being described instead of being in Spanish? So why, is SAP being used for both Spanish and audio description? It makes no sense at all! When we look at close captioning it’s its own system. There is nothing to compete with it. Also it’s a lot easier to produce when compared to audio description. We both have a right to our content be it audio description or Spanish they need to be 2 separate systems on the TV network.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-01-13 02:40:58

In a perfect world, everything would be audio described. But I agree that some more steps need to be taken to produce content. Maybe the cable providers are slacking because netflix seems to be providing a whole lot of described content lately, so they figure they don't have to put in their share of effort. As someone who doesn't watch a lot of TV, I can't say that this is an issue of dire importance to me. But I do believe that if most things are provided with closed captioning, so too should most things be provided with audio description. Of course, it's a lot easier to produce closed captioning, which is why it's taken off in a much greater fashion. But hopefully one day the two will be equal.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-01-13 02:49:58

Alot of it actually does exist but it's not being pushed out because most of the time things are in Spanish.

2017-01-13 03:49:26

SAP is secondary audio programming, and yes if something has spanish if you switch over to SAP then you get that and not the described content, which isn't really fare to both sides, the blind watcher and those who want/need the content in spanish.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-13 05:36:59

I've heard that Comcast has added audio descriptions to some of their channels. I think it was done on the first of the year.

2017-01-13 06:26:58

Really? I just switched over to Comcast and I'm having trouble finding described shows.

2017-01-16 13:09:50

Hi.
I just have a question.
Does the cw offer audio description for tV shows?

:)

2017-01-16 21:10:29

I'm not sure. I can look into this.