2017-01-09 18:31:16

New virtual 'female companion' offering more than just weather advice.
by Taboola 
Jan 09, 2017
15:51 GMT,

Japanese startup Gatebox have created an expensive hologram digital

assistant that’s specifically designed to provide companionship to

people who live alone.

Gatebox’s AI is called Hikari Azuma. According to her official site,

she is 20 years old and 158 cm (5 foot 2 inches) tall. She likes

donuts and anime and her speciality is making fried eggs. She dislikes

insects and her dream is to "become a heroine to help people who are

working hard."

3d Short skirt-wearing Hikari lives inside a 58 cm (23 inch) tall high

tech glass box that looks like a fancy coffee machine. Similar to

other virtual assistants, such as Google Home
or Amazon Echo, she can control household appliances and other devices

as well as make helpful suggestions like, “It may rain today, take

your umbrella
with you.”
However, she explicitly offers what others don’t - by playing the role

of partner for her "master."

Gatebox’s website says: “She is a comforting character [who] is great

to those living alone. She will always do all she can - just for the

owner.”

Hikari apparently “uses her own judgment” to talk to her master in her

“ultimate healing voice” and as you spend more time with her, she

recognizes your patterns and habits and adapts to your schedule.

She also comes with a special messaging app so you can stay in contact

with her when you are apart. This is pitched as one of the main

selling points in a promotional video Gatebox released.

The video heavily emphasises the "girlfriend" role she plays, as she

seems to be the only ray of sunshine in her owner’s life.
"You know, somebody's home
for me, feels great. Thought so, on my way home," he says.

Hikari, who was voiced by a young Japanese actress Yuka Hiyamizu, can

hook up to a computer through a HDMI cable. “You can watch movie

contents, create original
characters, or even just use her for your own pleasure,” the website

explains. What people would use that for one can only imagine.

The device is currently slated for release in December 2017, but

people can pre-order it until the end of January on the company’s

website. The hologram female companion costs 298,000 yen ($2,526), not

including tax, which dwarfs the price of other virtual assistants on

the market.

Amazon’s Echo costs $179.99 while the Google Home retails for $129.

However these are more straight-forward products that don’t

specifically target people
who may be looking for companionship.
https://www.rt.com/viral/370695-virtual … n-gatebox/

She only understands and speaks Japanese. A YouTube video is at:
http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/303 … iri-hello-

hikari-holographic-virtual-girl-japan.htm

2017-01-09 18:41:46

shouldn't this be in the off topic room??

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2017-01-09 18:55:43

flame_elchemist,
You're probably correct.
Then again, I thought you could play games with her.
It reminds me of the movie "Her" with  Scarlett Johansson, as the female companion.

2017-01-09 19:03:17 (edited by grryfindore 2017-01-09 19:04:07)

god. the stuff people (companys) come up with. lol

Doesn't this remind anyone of her?

Truly horrid movie, imo and the person voicing the female main character was so... ug
perhaps that's one of the reason for my dislike of the movie, eh? big_smile

You can watch movie contents, create original
characters, or even just use her for your own pleasure,” the website explains. What people would use that for one can only imagine

This made me go lol
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-01-09 19:40:19 (edited by LordLundin 2017-01-09 19:45:21)

*vomits profusely*
just get a blow up doll, they're cheaper and don't make you look like quite the sad pathetic looser you are ... at least not quite.
You know, or you could Always use your right hand and bring out those voices in your head.
I mean everyone who buys one of these Projects should be sent to a mental correctional focility, they obviously must be suffering from some grand fucking dilusions if this robotic ... thing can substitute a girlfriend.
That, or they're simply sociopathic, or they want to shock people.
Definitely not a "girlfriend" I'd approve of if my son came home with her ... whenever I do get a son, that is.
I'd go after her with a 12 inch barrel or whatever fansy blowing-up-toys the americans use, then get a 20 year old, way too late abbortion for my son and break all Contact with him.
Seriously ...

Edit:
oh of fucking corse she likes anime, this is Japan we're talking about after all.
Did the developer say anything about her being able to make your fried eggs? Because in that case, she might be fun to buy ... urm I mean it might be fun to buy just as an expensive kitchen assistant, wow at first I typed assassin there...

Soooo, Phil, are you interested in getting one of these? tongue

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2017-01-09 20:08:02 (edited by Phil 2017-01-09 20:08:48)

LordLundin,
No, I already have a real female companion, namely my wife.
She is no longer 20 but neither am I. She makes great fried eggs, but then I do the dishes.

This virtual 'female companion' sounds a lot like Ava in the movie Ex Machina (2015).

2017-01-09 20:15:48

sooo ... are there any robots that'll actually make your coffee / Cook your eggs etc? Because now, that might  be something Worth investigating.
Speaking of food it's food time here, sooo ... bah crazy japanese, Always the japanese.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-01-09 23:26:24

Considering that in real life I am generally insane, or "strange," as some people say, I think I should try going to Japan now. Maybe those yellow women with orange feet will be made in to reality! big_smile

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-01-10 01:08:23

Sounds pretty interesting. I won't get it, but I could see a lot of people find it useful.
@LordLundin: May I ask you to watch your fucking language just a bit? Just because you don't need such a robot doesn't mean others are totally messed up because they would find the robot useful, also as a girlfriend. There are people out their who have mental issues, who simply can't have a girlfriend, or people who simply would find it safe to have such a robot rather than a normal human all the day and night. Reading your post just tells me that you properly find it difficult to understand other peoples needs, so I won't spent more time to write examples on who might need such a robot.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-01-10 02:48:24

@slj well Point, you yourself said they're messed up, as did I. They probably realize it themselves, too. If not, well there's no harm.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-01-10 10:58:42

Moderation!

First, I am moving this topic since strictly speaking new releases room is for newly released games. I'm not sure whether you can play actual games with this,  but either way it's not available yet outside Japan, and even there I imagine it's fairly experimental as yet.

@Lord Lundin, please keep a watch on the attitude there, your dipping into being offensive. Discussion of the uses for this device and the psychology etc behind those who might want one is fine, but beware of the tone since your really getting rather offensive towards people who might have problems with finding a girlfriend.

as to my own thoughts, to be honest this sounds more a gymmic than anything serious, and I don't imagine someone who is actually looking for female companionship would find this helps much in reality.
There is a huge culture in japan of maid fantasies, which it sounds like this buys  into, likewise there is a lot of romantic fiction and indeed more extreme Hentai based around the virtual personalities of girls where people don't just ogle women but actually discuss their personalities and lives, likes and dislikes etc, (there is a very sad arc in the anime welcome to the Nhk about an agoraphobic boy who gets into this, and how he gets wrapped up with the personalities of virtual girls is just plane sad, then again nobody said Nhk was a pleasant series)..

Whether something like this program would actually provide more than just a curiosity or at most the odd thrill for someone I severely doubt, after all if someone is really! in serious need of a girlfriend, some siri like responses really won't mean much, as there is still a very wide devide between even what a computerized server can provide and interacting with a real person,as the startrek style holodeck artificial companions indistiguishable from reality are stil a loooong way off.
I don't even mean physical love or affection here , I just mean the ways people think and interact, for example my wife and I read together quite often and discuss books, likewise she reads my book reviews, we have raging arguements about George R R Martin etc, she's my best friend, and there is no way in hell something like Siri could substitute for that.

Oh and for the record I like my eggs scrambled, and it's me that does the cooking big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-10 13:00:51 (edited by afrim 2017-01-10 13:03:28)

Well, I don't really think a virtual assistant could be able to replace a companion, be it a girlfriend, a friend, an adviser or anything similar of this nature. Sorry to say but, these projects are just desperate attempts to enrich the profits of a particular company or organisation. I totally respect anyone who chooses to rely on these services, but I also believe that it is the responsibility of the society who is becoming more and more divorced from this World that allows for these phenomena to happen. We are focusing incredibly on selfness and in this way we increase unhappiness, stress and loneliness. That's why today we have people who feel separated from their communities or the society in general. I could elaborate more on this, but I feel really tired about doing so, since this problem has been subject of my essays and school articles for a long time now.

2017-01-10 15:25:28

My wife doesn't do half of this stuff.  she doesn't call me master, doesn't make fried eggs, doesn't generally control household appliances beyond those she feels comfortable with, doesn't wear skirts, doesn't speak a ton of Japanese, and I vaguely suspect given what I have learned within the past 2 years, is going to end up costing me more than $2,526 in the longrun.  There are two little matters I take issue with concerning this device, however, and I'm fairly certain the company can't provide a solution for them.  Firstly, she's not human.  Lastly, she's not my wife! :d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-01-10 21:07:10

The obvious point that needs to be made here is that having a virtual woman that's essentially locked in a box to do someone else's bidding is downright disturbing. The horror of that thought has pretty much left me speechless, regardless of the fact that it clearly has no feelings.

And, post 5 may have been a bit unnecessarily harsh, but keeping that little tidbit in mind, I believe a thumbs up is well deserved.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-01-11 17:21:39

@Afrim, agreed, alienation is one of the most extreme problems in society these days, with people mattering less and less and being more converted into statistics, and collective assumptions, (what I often refer to as "the collective), having actually more, rather than less power due to mass communications.
@Turtlepower, One thing I will say is that in Japan the general attitude towards maid fantasies is a little different, following the geisha traditionn, and much of it is far more harmless than say imagining a westerner wanting a woman to call him master would be.
Not that there aren't dodgy people in Japan of course, but there's also a lot of rather playful, quite innocent stuff as well that simply plays on mild traditions and stories, and is no more harmful than girls over here wanting to be princesses and play at being rescued.

Of course how dodgy vs playful the virtual companion is I don't know, likewise if it actually is! being marketed to people who either have genuine problems finding romantic partners and look for this as a substitute, or people who want to play out power or domination fantasies then it might not be psychologically not a good thing.

Then again, this won't be the first company in the world that tries to prophet from people's psychological problems big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-12 09:22:31

While I respect people that may find such virtual companions to be useful, if it actually was intended as a replacement for a romantic partner, that thought is mildly chilling. Especially since in the end, the bot has no feelings for you, and doesn't actually care; it is simply pretending to. If I had a son or daughter that had one of these, I wouldn't stop them, however I would inform them of the reality.

2017-01-12 10:32:09

@Slender, As everyone has said, I don't think anyone would assume such a machine could! replace real romantic interactions.
What is more worrying are those people who the company is potentially marketing too who might think it could, since someone would have to be in a pretty desperate position if they were able to assume that something programmed could actually take the place of a real human partner, or worse, try to make themselves believe it might in spite of themselves.

Then again as I said, such technology could just be a gimmic, no different to something like a virtual pet, something you play around with as a curiosity but are quite aware is completely unreal.
Indeed I find it interesting that people have such adverse reactions to this, and not to something like those virtual baby care programs, since there is just as much potential psychological harm in using those for someone who is desperate to have children.

2017-01-12 10:56:46

Virtual baby care programs? Baby sim seems to be a big trend in that field at the moment.

2017-01-12 11:10:32

Well, that technology highlighted on this topic doesn't even come anywhere close to pets. Pets can be so lovely that they at times can surpass the love and loyalty of humans. And by humans I mean we, those who have reason and logic.
During these 7 months I have had a dog, I have been quite amazed at how much love can they show towards their owners. For example, one day, while our dog went out of our courtyard to the street, he became a little dirty. I was trying to get him back to my house, and my mum shouted at me not to touch him. The dog, seeing her reaction towards me, growled at my mum. Also, during Monday to Friday, all of my family members need to go outside, somebody to work, anybody to school, and we need to keep him in a place where he is not able to play a lot. But when we release him, he will do anything and everything to thank you for what you did to him by tickling, licking, or jumping onto your feet. And this is amusing.

2017-01-13 02:22:05

At Dark, to be honest, I would be more willing to accept this as a gimmick if not for one factor. The description clearly states that this female companion is kept inside of a box. I wouldn't care quite as much if, say, she were able to come out of the box, or didn't have to be encased in something to make her point. That is what disturbs me personally. What kind of message is it sending if you're just supposed to ogle her inside of what is essentially a glass cage? do we want to be teaching the less socially adept that future partners are to be stared at like animals in a zoo? Not to mention the fact that, of course, that person's love and affections are completely unattainable, it being virtual and all.

Those of us who have been in abusive relationships can tell you that a literal representation of the way we sometimes felt in those situations, and of this magnitude is actually scary. Although I doubt that anybody else would actually come out and make that connection as bluntly as I just did. it really needs to be said, though.

the difference between this and a virtual pet or a baby simulator, then, is the intent. From the press release, it sounds as though it's supposed to provide companionship for someone who is lonely. If a baby simulation game ever marketed itself that way to folks, I'll bet many groups would be up in arms about it, demanding that the creators either change their attitude or take it off the market. But this is supposed to be cute because it's quirky and quaint and culturally different? Excuse my language, but blow it out your ass. That's not aimed at anyone on this forum, that's my general comment to whoever is marketing this thing as it is currently being presented.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-01-13 10:31:44

@Turtlepower, I suspect the "in a box" comment wasn't a reflection of seeing a woman inside a glass cage, it's just a reflection of the unit itself, since manifestly this doesn't actually come with a representation of a woman kept in a box, it's probably just a small box shaped device with a video display.
As with anything though, it depends upon how it's used and who uses it, though whether the potential user is some slimebag who sees it as a domination game, or some lonely man who has fallen fowl of society's ridiculously stupid practices due to the rigmorole of dating and relationships, conventions that can be truly agonising or a lot of shy men I don't know.

Either way, the stupid company wants their money and if that means propheting from loneliness, sadism or just plane desire for novelty they'll do it.

Btw, Yes, society is hateful!

@Afrim, very much agree about dogs. I love my big black furry thing as my wife calls reever.
One sad thing though you did remind us of is that my wife's guide dog died this christmas, of sudden undiscovered canser, not nice.
This is actually wy I've never been interested in virtual animal care games like firry paws, good though the design in firry paws is, since why the heck would I want a virtual dog when I have the real thing?

2017-01-13 11:27:56

Hey now, my wife is happy with the $84000 three bedroom box she's currently residing in, and she'd better be, as we only pay about a thousand dollars a month for its usage!  :d
IN all seriousness, I hate people in the context of society; no one ever says what they truly believe under such circumstances.  Individuality FTW, and thumbs up to post 20!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-01-13 11:58:16

@Dark, I am very sorry for your wife's  dog. When you spend some weeks or months with a new dog, it becomes much like a family member and you're not reluctant to accept a mutual love which will follow you until your dog passes away, which is a disaster to your social life.