2008-03-31 05:32:22

When you've taken a look at this one, you'll understand my rather extreme title.

Recently the secret world chronical which I've been listening to has become affiliated with someone called www.Podiobooks.com.

i've just checked them out, and yeee gods! their a massive index of doom of more free audio stuff than you can shake something shakeable at!

It's certainly going to take me a while to go through these and find interesting stuff, ---- in fact I'm having the rare experience of seeing so much interesting looking stuff I don't know where to go first!

Perhaps some people would like to help me in this incredibly horrible and unpleasant task,   hehe!

for my part I can recommend The secret world Chronicals and The blood baths both by Steve Libby, ---- though adult content only.

I also believe some of the darker projects stuff is likely to be on there as well, sinse there's a catagory for audio drama, and they mention the parsec awards which the Falcon banner is supposed to have won at one point.

but how great to have a central index, even if the shear amount of stuff on offer is a bit daunting.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-03-31 09:55:46

awesome site. Thanks for the link.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-03-31 12:00:09

As it happens, the darkerprojects stuff isn't on there, but if people want to here that (I certainly recommend the falcon banner and Byran), go to http://www.darkerprojects.com/

I'd also imagine you've come across this one before as well Cx2, sinse they seem affiliated with that infected books fellow you mentioned earlier.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-03-31 14:42:27

Yes indeed. Scott Sigler, again adults only, releases semi regularly. He claims to have never missed a podcast, but he comes up with all sorts of excuses to make this assertion which is sort of amusing in itself.

Scott actually releases his "podcast novels" on www.scottsigler.com roughly weekly, though somewhat erratic. Once they have finished their run he then eventually puts them up on PodioBooks.

Currently playing are Nocturnal, his latest book which is really very good focusing on a couple of San Francisco homicide detectives while some seriously strange stuff goes on, and replaying Infected which he is actually due to release as a print book tomorrow I believe. His stuff on Podiobooks while earlier is certainly good, with both Earthcore and Ancestor you end up wondering who will survive to the end of the book. He has no qualms about killing off any character at all.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-03-31 15:35:29

Ooooh, books without the safety factor! thus far there are only two authors who've really made me feel that any time things get hairy the characters are in real danger of death, ---- JK rowling and Tad williams. In Tv babylon 5 did this incredibly skillfully as well.

Even someone like Steven King seems to use the red jacket stratogy on occasion, and then there are authors like David gemmel or James herbert who just moe down characters to the point you don't care anymore.

I'll probably begin with earthcore and ancestor, by which point his other works will be closer to completion, ---- though as I also want to finish with completion.

I'm now also thinking I need an accessible mp3 or disk player of some description if all these things are available.

2008-03-31 16:25:17

yeah let me ask you guys something, Like these books are all audio, then like you get them how? I apologize I am just a little confused

Connor

2008-03-31 16:41:36 (edited by dark empathy 2008-03-31 16:45:47)

The same way you get pod casts from blindcooltech or main menue.

go to the site and download away! their Mp3's, so playing them is no trouble.

You can also subscribe and do things with pod catching software, but personally I've just been grabbing stuff via download.

They are all free, ---- though if you enjoy a particular book or audio drama, you might considder showing your appreciation to the author with a donation (I've donated to both Secret world chronicals and Darker projects, sinse I like what they do and get a lot out of it).

Hth.

2008-03-31 18:36:16

I looked over the site and all I've got to say is, "it's time to hit the road", or I could say, "wifi hunting I go". Well, I know I will be near a hot spot in about three months and I'm going to get when the getting is good. So it looks good. hope it's there at that time.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-03-31 19:58:51

Well I don't think any of these sites are about to go bye bye all of a sudden, in fact quite the opposite.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-01 16:23:37

now this website has a variety of books right? & like if they are in mp3 & you just listen to them how do you get to a certain possition in the book? sorry for all the questions, thanks for your patience

Connor

2008-04-01 22:38:03

The books are divided up into multiple MP3 files, so you can listen to them in chunks quite happily.

cx2
-----

2008-04-02 21:53:18

The jump to time function in winamp, ---- control and J is also your friend with long mp3 files. when I've been streaming something and the stream has died on me, I just temporarily download the file, make a rough guess how far through I was and usually am able to find my place without any trouble.

Hth.

2008-04-03 23:36:01

yeah but I havd windows media player

Connor

2008-04-04 00:15:03

Well, you can get winamp from www.winamp.com if you want it. I personally like winamp over WM anyday. Mainly because of the fact that most of the commands if not all of them can be accessed via the keyboard without going in to some menu or another. Also you can add your own EQ presets with eas and if  you make a change  after choosing a preset, it will not change the preset without you telling it to. it's like editing a word doc, you have to save it before the changes are final.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-04 00:18:34

I still use WMP and do fine. Just treat each file as an "episode" so to speak.

cx2
-----