2017-01-05 13:29:33

A few might find what humanware is doing for World Braille Day interesting. Here is the article that I got via email. As for myself, I did not know that there was a World Braille Day before now, but even so, I see braille as very important. I know that I personally find that I, at times, wish I had something connected to my phone so that I do not have to put up with wearing headphones or having Voiceover blabbing everything to the whole room. Then again, the Braille Note touch looks nice from the description I saw on the website, but at the same time, I cannot afford it and I am not too sure it is worth the price for me. Whoever gets their name picked out from this drawing will be lucky indeed. Goes without saying that they will find either one of these things useful.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-01-05 18:29:57

Nice article.

2017-01-06 02:22:17

That it is. I went in and put my name into the drawing. I do have one question though, who's email do I put in the email field of the form, Mine or the one belonging to the person that I am registering? Also, what happens of more than one person registers the same person? I can see how people may cheat by not thinking all that hard.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-01-06 17:54:18

Is it an international draw? I don't have that email, and I'm sure I'm on Humanware's list, in the UK.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-01-06 21:14:02

I am guessing that it is. They posted it on their site and on their facebook page. I saw nothing stating on where you could not enter.

DropBox Referral

2017-01-06 21:35:46

I entered as well. I still can read braille, would probably use it more if i had a braille display, i guess we will see.

2017-01-06 22:24:01

I may use braille more if I can get a display of some kind that connects to my IOS devices assuming IOS gives me no trouble. My PACMate is slowly wearing out, and I mostly do not see the point of replacing it, but if I was going to replace it, the BrailleNote would make a good replacement. Anyway, I doubt my name would come out at all. I am guessing that thousands may put their name in. Assuming that this is  the case, the odds of winning are slim indeed and it costs nothing to lose. What is everyone’s best guess when it comes to the number that will enter?

DropBox Referral

2017-01-07 05:22:08

Hmmm, the number of people that will enter? Several hundred. the number of people who create 20 different email addresses with various services just so that their name is more likely to get picked? Well... Do I have to come out and say it? (think)

I really shouldn't be on a high horse about this, considering that I entered my name into the drawing, but it does seem rather odd to me that they didn't perform any kind of screening in order to filter out spambots, at the very least, y'know?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-01-07 06:41:41

Reminds me of when nhb held a drawing for their 2015 show collection and accidentally picked a spambot as the winner the first go-around, so had to redo the drawing. I'm sure Humanware will hopefully pick a genuine winner (s)

2017-01-07 13:08:09

LOL. You must not had looked back at post 3 when I made that comment about cheating. That is one easy way of doing it. Also, you know that line about the visually impaired thing? How do they know if you are or not. Just saying. I am thinking about how you get other people to enter for you too. Do I need to go on? ROFL. Just a thought you know. We shall see how this turns out. To my exact point, I agree with post 8 when it comes to the point that it  is odd that they did not do anything to make sure that the email address was valid at the very least. They cannot defeat all cheating, but they can prevent some.

DropBox Referral

2017-01-07 19:31:48

OK, I signed up. I don't have my hopes up, but since the cursor routing buttons on my Apex are going, I might as well give it a shot. Have a feeling the repair is going to be expensive.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-01-07 21:36:23

I put my name in when I created this topic. My PACmate is sort of showing its' own age. I think it may be a bit on the pricy side to keep it going. Matter of fact, I am surprised it is still working as well as it is. True, I do not think I will win, but why not give it a shot. It cost nothing to enter and I could, just maybe, wind something nice. Of course I do not think I will, but it is worth a try. The odds are stack against us here on this form, but still...

DropBox Referral

2017-01-08 04:43:04

I could use a new notetaker myself, thus why I entered. My MPower's display is pretty much shot, and it needs to be plugged in all the time when in use because the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. I know it can be replaced easily, but I can't be bothered when the display would need to be fixed anyway, and I don't have that kind of cash to shell out.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-01-08 13:54:37

I understand that. Every now and then, I must write something down on something that works so that I can remember later. Sometimes, I use my audio recorder, sometimes my mac book or PC, other times my PACMate. It mostly depend on rather or not I need speed over braille per say. If I need speed, my audio recorder works. On the other hand, if I need it to be saved in braille, my PACmate mostly works. Of course, most of the time I just jot stuff down on the nearest computer because of me being too lazy to drag out something else to write on. LOL. My flash drive makes the perfect small storage device until it is lost right? Deep down, a wireless display for my phone will suit me just fine, but I would not say no to the BrailleNote touch. LOL. May someone be lucky enough to win (I hope it is me). ROFL.

DropBox Referral

2017-01-09 00:29:18

I actually wouldn't mind going without a notetaker, except for one problem. I bought a Focus 40 Blue from someone I know, and while it's great for composing long messages and such with my Iphone, the problem lies in the fact that reading books with it is much more sluggish than it would be with a notetaker.

I found that the only real way to read .brf books, or any text format for that matter, is to use Voice Dream Reader. And that's damn cumbersome, because every few lines, a percentage pops up, which you need to wait until it disappears off the display before you can continue reading. And that few extra seconds really kills the flow of my reading and is quite off-putting. I've stopped reading books because of this problem, to be honest.

2017-01-09 13:42:18

Did not know that that was a problem. When i use voice dream reader, I usually have it read to me. Not having a display that works with my phone has something to do with that for sure. Do not get me wrong, having something that works both as a note taker and as a display for my phone would be a major plus for me. We will know next month who wins.

DropBox Referral

2017-01-10 06:06:00

Yep. I'm certainly not counting on winning, just felt like venting my frustrations about why it sucks to not have a notetaker, as a formerly avid Braille reader.

2017-01-10 13:14:14

Now that, I can understand. Is it just the reading part you miss? If so there some slitely cheep things out there. I think I saw where the Braille edge would open up BRF files, but you still would run into the price problem. I, myself would also like a wireless display on my desk with the extra features that a notetaker would have, but even so, I will move on if I do not win. I am thinking that who ever wins, it will most likely not be anyone on this form.

DropBox Referral

2017-01-10 20:38:22

yeah. And that person might just turn around and sell it. that's usually the way these things work.

Yeah, it's only reading that I miss. the other features of your average notetaker, I can take them or leave them. Especially now that I have an IPhone, I really don't miss being able to compose documents or anything like that. And let's not even go into how horribly outdated most notetaker operating systems are, although there have at least been strides in the right direction in the past year or so. I'm actually thinking about getting myself an Orbit Reader when it comes out, whenever that will be. True, the refresh rate is supposedly a bit slower, but I don't know how much of a difference it will actually make when reading. it certainly can't be worse than the system I've got going now.

2017-01-10 21:14:39

Now, the Orbit Reader looks like a good reading device from what I understand, but I personally would like to see it in action before I buy. Grant it, the price does look right for that use if I heard the price right. They were thinking around $500 right? I have heard somewhere that that was the price. I think that there is at least two of us that is not thinking about selling if either one is won, but yes most would sell just to get a little extra cash. I cannot blame people for wanting extra cash, but why would they not want to use the device a little bit first?

DropBox Referral

2017-01-10 21:27:18

To be fair, I've heard that the Braille Note Touch has some serious bugs. So I suppose I could understand selling it if it doesn't meet their needs. Let's hope whoever wins it does the right thing.

The last I heard, the orbit Reader was supposed to sell for around $500. I also seem to recall that prototype units were being tested a few months ago. I would like to test it out myself before buying, but I'm not sure if I'd get that oppurtunity. I also seem to remember there being rumors that the NLS might consider sending them to patrons for free, a bit like the digital book players. I'll happily trade my book player in if it comes down to that. I don't use the thing anyway. I didn't even request one, but they sent me one anyway, which was odd. it's been sitting in my closet ever since, untouched, because I don't do audio books.

2017-01-10 22:44:21

The primary reason I'm not big on the BrailleNote Touch as opposed to the Apex is simply that the Apex, with its totally obsolete productivity suite, is still the better choice for actually reading and writing braille and text files, of the kind I'd expect to use for free-form writing. The Touch is an Android tablet, but its appeal to the mainstream has effectively crippled its core functionality.

So, I am going to return this Apex. If I can't get it back in full working order, then I'll give serious thought to a braille display. But I'll be very sad to lose the few core apps, like game-playing, dictionary and clock, as well as complete support for text and braille files, that this Apex has. I'm sad Humanware did not release an SDK for this, and I'm sad that it will probably never get further support now that the Touch is out there, but having read about (and heard) the touch I am fairly sure that the Apex's biggest curse was having Humanware for a mentor. If I win anything, it'll be icing on the cake, but I'm not betting on it.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-01-11 01:20:52

The Touch's main problems include the processor, small space *can be expanded* and for now the out of date version of android, but no one ever said that the Touch would be on 4.4 forever. Thing's only been out for around 3/4 of a year, so it's only the beginning. Apart from its issues, it's definitely a move in the right direction as far as assistive  devices are concerned. The interface does take some slight getting used to if you are a longtime apex user but have never used android. If you've been using android or any mobile device, getting used to the touch's interface is a piece of cake.

2017-01-11 13:27:35

Out of those, the processor cannot be fixed. Yes it looks like a step in the right direction, but I do not know if it would work for them. I still remember how the PACmate with the windows mobile  OS and how it looked well for a few years until MS went to windows phone seven leaving FS with no path for upgrade that made sense for that device. My fear for the BrailleNote Touch is that there is a point where it cannot be upgraded. Add to that, the fact that humanware is using a version of android that is sort of known for being hacked in some ways. does anyone remember the stage fright bug in android? I personally am wondering if the version of android on the BrailleNote will get upgraded any time soon. On the other hand, it has a few features I would like to play with to some degree.

DropBox Referral

2017-01-11 14:53:42

Ahoy all.

Jumping in rather late. but yes I have submited my name as well, be it with a heavy load of skepticism/ pessimism as you will.
Who wouldn't like a braille display. who I say wouldn't like anything for free, unless of course that free happens to be a kick up the.. ahem.

I don't know whether its just me or all these giveaways seems like nothing to me but a fake. Not just this though, anyone remember the $10k Itunes giftcard apple was giving out? or all those Iphones and galaxy edges all those blogs and such run a give away for as long as you provide them with your email,tweet or retweet and so on.
perhaps its just me being a sinical bastard, but eh there you have it.
smile
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter