2017-01-09 20:55:24

Hi all,

Thanks for the continued enthusiasm and support. I'm on my lunch break so I'll try to take a minute to reply to a couple of things:

Muhammad: I definitely get where you're coming from, but the truth is that our goal for this game is NOT for it to be an audio game. Our goal for this game is for it to be a fully accessible game. It's easy for us as blind players to complain that sighted debs don't make games that include us - yet we tend not to make games that include them. If possible, we want to chart a third path - one which, to the best of my knowledge, has never been charted before. Specifically, we want to show that it doesn't have to be either/or, but that you can in fact make a game rewarding for both audiences.

So that's the sort of philosophical reason the goals are ordered as they are. The practical reason is that we're already very happy with the product we'll be presenting to blind gamers. Could our sounds benefit from the purchase of some additional sound packs? Sure, that would be great. But will the experience of blind gamers be impacted as seriously without those new sounds as the experience of sighted gamers will be without these graphics? No way. So we intentionally placed that goal next, in order to try and broaden our base of potential players as much as possible before we really focus on the more refining touches.

Blindndangerous: You're correct - unfortunately Kickstarter's main editor for the campaign gives my screen reader all sorts of trouble, and neither of our sighted team members has had the chance to edit the goals into the main page yet. Also what do you mean by a Final Fantasy VI sort of thing?

Hanif: You're right, having DLC would be pretty neat. We've talked about it, mostly in concept. Not sure whether or not that's a real possibility for the future - but I guess we'll see. We definitely don't want to delay production on our next game by virtue of turning out more content for this one, though, so that would be a delicate balance. Regarding different game modes, we're already planning on that. Not only is there the main graphics mode but there are also different options for low-vision players who may benefit from high-res, simplified graphics, as well as a no-graphics mode. Likewise, sighted gamers will be able to disable all the assistive audio features and play as a conventional, visual game.

2017-01-09 21:45:52

one more suggestion for the game: in the main quest or in a side quest, are there any kind of quest where you have to complete minigames, like in the final fantasy games, you are tasked to ride a chocobo.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2017-01-09 22:04:01 (edited by threeblacknoises 2017-01-10 00:53:09)

Joseph, In case you've never plaied it before...
Final fantasy 6; or 3 in the US; has a lot of extra diologue that's not part of the main story.
Each main character; their are 14 of them by the way; have lots of little glimpses into their past.
Aside from that, their is lots of diologue that expands the world.
aside from all of that, the basis of this games sounds a lot like a traditional final Fantasy-type game.
That's not a bad thing, as we really don't have anything quite like that here.
we have Paliden of the sky and Manamon, but those are linnier; modern or feuturistic; and don't really have a lot of "world" to speak of.
We have Braillemon, but blind people who've never plaied a Pokémon game are kind of lost in it.
We have the bk series, but those aren't in english yet, and the first one that acts more like an RPG will probably never be translated, unless some money changes hands, or Yukio; the game's developer; gets vary ambitious.
Also, we don't really have a fantasy RPG yet.
We do have shadow rine, but; like the bk series; it hasn't been translated yet.
Aside from all that, their's never been an RPG that blind and sighted people can play together.
I recently have that problem with manamon. A relative and I were playing it, and; as they were sighted, they couldn't see the creatures or the world, and they didn't get the hole audiogame thing.
Hopefully, they will once this game comes out.
Here's hoping you can meat all your goals; including that mystery goal...
Later!
PS: their's a really good fandub of final fantasy 6 over on youtube if you've never had the chance to finish that game...

2017-01-10 02:32:52

Exactly.  That and ff6 also has dialogue that only comes up if a certain characters are in your party at certain times, as well as giving you discounts in stores if a certain character is in the lead position of your party.  I'd love something like an action rpg, like something from the tales series, taht'd be fun, but I'm not sure how easy that'd be able to be done without programming it for a controller.  Take a look at some videos for tales of symphonia/tales of the abyss/tales of graces etc for what I mean.

2017-01-10 02:37:22 (edited by Xvordan 2017-01-10 02:37:53)

Just out of personal curiosity, and with no criticism involved, I'm wondering why you guys chose Kickstarter over other project funding sites such as Indiegogo? I think Indiegogo takes less of a cut than Kickstarter does, so you might've gotten more out of the funding. Mind you, I'm not speaking from personal experience, just from light Google research, so I fully accept if I'm an ignorant fool babbling into the wind. smile

Spill chuck you spots!

2017-01-10 10:09:26

Congrats on exceeding your goal. I'll certainly buy this game as soon after it comes out as is financially feasible to me, although I unfortunately most likely won't be able to buy the collector's addition. That's a pity because from what little I've heard the music is amazing. I did notice that when I clicked read more on the campaign page nothing came up but the same page.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-01-10 10:45:36

Hi,
I've updated my pledge to a higher level to increase funding, let's all make them hit $5300, let's share the widest.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-01-10 10:55:38

If only this had happened after my debts were all paid off LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-01-10 11:41:27

I also backed the project and silently and unpantiently waiting for my Collector's edition!

I'm sharing as much as possible and will spread the word untill the last minute of the campaign! smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2017-01-10 15:59:17

I get what you guys are saying about FFVI. It sounds like it really had a serious impact on the direction of RPG games from then on - while I've never played it, those features are present in most modern-era RPG games that have influenced me as a developer.

Regarding why we used KS over other sites, it's a perfectly valid question. The truth is we looked a lot at the success rate of projects on the different platforms, and the types of projects that are successfully funded on the different platforms, and KS looked like the best fit. You may be right that it takes a higher cut - I can't recall for sure. But that comes at the trade-off of all-or-nothing funding. Obviously this wouldn't have been a problem for us, but not knowing that, we didn't want to put ourselves in a position of not raising enough to do what we promised, and then feeling an obligation to our donors that we couldn't meet. I think all-or-nothing also gives early donors a sense of confidence as they donate because there's no risk of donating to an ultimately under-funded project.

Hanif: Currently there aren't any mini-games, per se. It's an idea we've toyed with on and off, but odds are we won't feature anything like that until our next game. With this being our first project, we've been focusing so much on getting the core gameplay working right that we haven't seen it being worth the time and effort to essentially program a whole new game (even if it's a smaller one) to include mini-games. It's definitely an idea I like though, and I think there's a good likelihood for that sort of gameplay in our next project.

bryanP: Thank you so much for your kind words about the soundtrack. At present, we're planning to release it on iTunes as well, so you'll be able to get it without buying the collector's edition if you choose. I can't make any promises though - I can just say we're planning in that direction, currently.

Still so grateful to those of you who are continuing to back, and promote, and even increasing your current pledges. You're all awesome!

2017-01-10 17:28:11 (edited by hanif 2017-01-10 17:30:50)

@joseph: are you going to add save / load feature in to the game, and a possibility to make several save slots? and also, for saving, is it through the pause menu where you can save the game or by visiting things like save points in several dungeons or resting in houses or inns?
also, how long it takes to beat the game just only for following the main story and how long it takes to beat the game with the main story quests and side quests completed?
last thing, will you add some sorts of unlockables in the game? for example, after beating the game, you can replay cutscenes or you can also replay your overall battles in the game.
also, most importantly, will it be multiple choices in the game that resulted in a multiple ending? is dialogues in the game also involves on making choices?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2017-01-10 21:22:15

Hanif, I don't want to give too much away so I'm not going to answer all of your questions in-depth but here are a few answers:

Yes, you will be able to save in multiple slots, and can save at any point (other than in the middle of combat or inside a dialogue).

I've been asked a few times how long it takes to beat the game, and it's hard to answer because I am going to play the game much faster than the average player. I can tell you that for me (knowing exactly where to go and what to do, and the fastest way to do things), the absolute fastest I can beat the main story is six hours. But that's doing literally nothing but advancing the story - I didn't even go out of my way to pick up gear (which caused some problems because my equipment wasn't very good). That's also without listening to any dialogues, which will add considerable time. So I would be very surprised if an average player didn't get well over 10 hours of gameplay from the main story alone. As for all the side quests - I have absolutely no idea how long it would take to complete the main story and every side quest. And even if you've completed every side quest, it's not like you've experienced everything the game has to offer - there may still be interesting parts of the map to discover, or conversations to explore, or books to read, or lots of other things.

I don't want to tell you too much about the ending - you will have to find out for yourself. But I will tell you that yes, choices you make in the game and in dialogue conversations can have effects on the game world. You'll have to find out for yourself what kind of effects they can be.

2017-01-10 23:38:23

Definitely looking forward to getting my grubby little paws on this one.

2017-01-11 04:43:08

For at the minimum, 10 hours isn't bad for a rpg.  I'm sure it'll be more than that, but 6-10 hours is not bad at all for a first game.

2017-01-11 08:01:43

Wow sounds exciting. I could imagine myself spent much more than 10 hours on beating the game, because I wanna explore as much as possible.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-01-11 08:26:55

Hopefully this will get on steam!

My recomendation is to add things like trading cards and achievements to unlock.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2017-01-11 09:47:51 (edited by grryfindore 2017-01-11 09:49:57)

Ahoy there.

with 106 backers, and $4622 or something around those lines we are edging our way towards the graphics upgrade! I specially like this stretch goal because if this gets achieved and graphics are improved although I have no clue on what the current ones are set to be as, it'll finally give me a audiogame (game?) I can play with my friends that are able to see.
Lets be honest here, most people want to have graphics in a game. That is for sighted gamers or people in general a game to be engaging and hold their interest needs to have them. this is one reason why I can't share the games I play fully with my mates as I'd like to. I.E play with them along side them or have one or the other of us brainstorm a solution to something, after all 2 are better than 1, eh? big_smile
So really excited for this.

@Joseph, good call on the beta testers, I personally feel the same as you that having a control on the beta team that is who gets in and kind of quality feedback you recieve is far better than joe and his brother hopping onboard just because they want to. but thought I'd ask you anyway since many developers who agree with this kind of reasoning still go ahead and add such access and stuff anyway.

Achievements and such aren't a bad idea actually, if  those haven't been thought of already, perhaps a ingame achievement system would also work and I don't suppose they'd be too much work if the  guys at outofsitegames plan on adding them. as for steam, I guess its all up to the developers as long as its available outside steam I won't care a fig whether or not this makes it to steam since steam is such a pain in the arse atm that its not even funny.
and yes, I speak from recent experience just in case this starts another steam good,try, haven't tried debate again.

grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-01-11 14:58:01

Hey all,

Regarding playtime: I agree (though I'm biased) that it's a healthy length. When you look at it compared to the gameplay length of triple-A RPGs with enormous budgets and huge production values, you realize that it's not too shabby for a low-budget, indie, premiere title. And I tend to agree with SLJ - I hope most players will find the world interesting enough that they have no desire to push through the main story as quickly as possible. Plus if you're anything like me, you'll want to play through multiple times using different types of characters, playing different roles, and so on.

Regarding Steam, etc. - it would be really great if we could get the game published through Steam, or really any major platform. We're looking into Steam as well as some other options - ultimately, the more widely available we can make the game, the better.

Grryfindore: You expressed my own thoughts perfectly. Inclusive gaming doesn't just mean making games for blind gamers to play - it means making games that the whole community of blind and sighted gamers alike can come together and enjoy. We are going to try to get as close to that goal with "A Hero's Call", and hope to continue pressing the boundaries in this regard as we develop future projects.

2017-01-11 15:21:05

I just threw Money at you folks last night. Really looking forward to this game, certainly a needed addition to the list of audio game genres, heh.
Let's hope you'll at least reach the 4.9k mark, and possibly even 5.3, the more sounds the merrier.
And 6 hours when just running through the main line and knowing what to do sounds pretty neat, should certainly give us mere mortals lots of fun hours as well. I'm definitely an Explorer myself, so I'm sure I'll spend a fair amount of time just walking around and looking at Things.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2017-01-11 15:36:37

Hello, I really liked the game, can't wait til it will be out. one thing I wanna say, it would be cool if there's mor random dialog with peopl we find on the maps. I know that won't be easy, but it will make the game mor pro. I sau in the audio demo that the persons are repeeting the same words over and over. like the one who's saying if you mess with the law, you mess with me, and others. not sure if it will be developed in the final v, but this the only thing I find it somehow neads an inpruvmant, other than that the game is nice, and the aim to make sided people as well as blind onece able to play it, is really grate.
greetings.

2017-01-11 15:52:39

That's not unheard of in mainstream games, to have characters have a few lines that they cycle through. In the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games, for instance, a lot of the shopkeepers will have three or maybe four lines that they'll cycle through, even while you're browsing their wares. Of course this can get extremely annoying.

2017-01-11 15:59:14

Hi Joseph,
Will it be possible for sighted folks to completely turn off the radar if they find it too annoying? There's a friend of mine who has expressed a small interest. I don't know if this person will play but I told them that I'd keep them posted.

2017-01-11 17:43:50

Hay Joseph, I just heard the demos you've posted, and I can't wait to play this game!
Is the game going to require a screen reader, or can we just play with SAPI?
Also; and this is just because I'm curious; is the game going to boot up in audio mode or sighted mode?
Later!

2017-01-11 17:56:54

So time to drop in and say a couple of things. First, the tavern. Shouldn't it be more crowded? Even if you can only talk to the innkeep or someone who asks you if you want a room for a night, it will give more flavor to the games world. It could unlock a possibility for a sidequest or 2, as well. Second, can you run while exploring? it sounded that you were just walking in the demo. third, will this have a post game? When this comes out, I am buying it without playing the demo. How fast do keys arrive after you pay? I am going to play this in all langs, as well. Last thing, can you play the game through without some party member? this would provide an extra challenge. Another thing. Say one of your party dies, can you continue the story without them, or you will have to reload the game?

2017-01-11 18:53:20

Oh, one more thing.
Can you use the arrow keys to move, or do you have to use the letter keys?
Later!