2017-10-16 18:27:54

Ask and ye shall receive! We are on iTunes!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-her … 1294837447

I actually don't know how long we've been on there—it may have been a while, cause I had to scroll way down in the search results to find the score. You'd think if you type an album's title exactly as it appears, it would be the first search result, but nooo... Maybe once we get a few downloads, that will change.

We'll work on getting all these links aggregated on our website, and consolidating them all for a Kickstarter update as well.

2017-10-16 18:32:02

This may be a stupid question, but due to it's presence on iTunes, is it also on Apple Music?

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-16 18:36:21

I believe so—but I'll be completely honest, I'm not 100% sure. I believe Apple Music is listed in the list of digital distribution partners, and I also believe that we have a tab for accessing Apple Music reporting—but when I look at the list of digital distributors and the music's delivery status to each, only Apple iTunes shows up in the list. So it's possible that delivering to Apple iTunes and Apple Music are one and the same thing. Someone with Apple Music will probably need to find out and let us know...

2017-10-16 19:02:31

Joseph Westhouse wrote:

I believe so—but I'll be completely honest, I'm not 100% sure. I believe Apple Music is listed in the list of digital distribution partners, and I also believe that we have a tab for accessing Apple Music reporting—but when I look at the list of digital distributors and the music's delivery status to each, only Apple iTunes shows up in the list. So it's possible that delivering to Apple iTunes and Apple Music are one and the same thing. Someone with Apple Music will probably need to find out and let us know...

Hi,
first let me say that you guys have done really amazing job with the music,
and second, I can confirm that it's out on apple music also, at least in our store that is, I am not sure about the rest.

2017-10-16 19:39:54

Well, I know how I’m going to treat myself next month, since next month I’ll have finally paid off one of my long-standing debts.  I can’t buy it right now, funds are just a little bit short, but I should be OK for next month.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-10-17 00:05:48

The soundtrack is indeed on apple music. Love it btw. Great work. Just curious, was that an actual orchestra or was it midi? Sounds real, and I don't care either way, I'm just curious because sometimes for music people do it electronicly and other times its an orchestra, wasn't sure witch root you went.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-10-17 00:10:48

Yeah it's a virtual orchestra—we could not, in a million years, afford a real orchestra. But a virtual orchestra in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing with it can have some pretty remarkable results (just look at all the Hollywood scores being done without live musicians nowadays).

2017-10-17 00:55:54

I can’t wait to own it, and the game of course LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-10-17 01:04:06

So, this is a post directed at Joseph and his team as a whole.
First, my congratulations. Your score is excellent. Short, but with a great amount of substance.
Secondly, I took the time to listen to your radar demo video again in full. And, I have a few questions. Now, I know of the two main sounds: The open space and close off sounds... but there was a third. A lower, slightly rougher sound that I don't know what it indicates. Is it possibly the indication of an interactible? I heard a lot of it in the tavern and on your trip to the barracks. In short, though, I am excited for the game to be released, and my interest, while piqued before, is a full fledged fire now.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-17 01:14:12

yeah its on apple music, which I don't have but I did buy it from the iTunes store and got it on my phone that way.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-10-17 01:57:26

Yeah, it's definitely a VST orchestra which sounds good really.

I still remember the days when VST instruments were introduced for the first time and the Gladiator movie OST was one of the first (as far as I know) movies with music composed only with the virtual orchestra what was simply amazing! smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2017-10-17 02:15:26

Another question, sorry I'm probably way behind on these. But, can you check if your armor is a blunt, slashing or piercing defender?

2017-10-17 03:00:55

Hey Dragomier: The radar sounds include an "open space" sound, a "closed space" sound, and a unit/container sound. So yes, you pretty much called it. We've gone back and forth about whether units and containers share a sound or have distinct sounds—there are points in favor of both. Do note that the radar sounds will almost definitely be different in the release than they are in that demo—but there will be a sounds reference menu that you can use to familiarize yourself with all the cues.

As for armor types, I tend to not want to give away too much of that sort of information, so that players can discover it on their own. But to answer in broad terms, not all armor is weak or strong against particular damage types, but when it is, that information will be available.

Lirin: I didn't know Gladiator was a virtual score—that seems fairly early. That's very impressive. I did know that Avatar had a virtual score, and that blew my mind.

2017-10-17 04:28:06

Joseph, I cannot stress this enough: It has been a long time since I have been excited for a game to such a degree, and the last one was Audio Defense back on iOS, in audio terms, anyway. So, what I am saying is... You are very good at what you do, and I respect and honor you greatly for your service to our community. I say service, because you bring a breath of fresh air to the libraries of audiogames, which in one section grows musty and dusty, while the other grows overly modern and unwelcoming. A terrible analogy, my apologies, but I had to say it. May this game forever live in the histories of gaming, and Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! (May your sword stay sharp!)

2017-10-17 04:51:03

I listened to the soundtrack on iTunes.
I didn't read if you posted that it is 14 tracks for $9.99 USD
Each track cost $0.99
I found it by typing the below text in the edit box, or rather copied it:
‘A Hero's Call (Original Game Score)’ by Joseph Bein

2017-10-17 05:08:43

Yeah, it’s $9.99 on all of the platform so far. But I definitely agree about typing that into the search box, gets past all the rest of them.

2017-10-17 07:53:44

You probably knew, but just in case you didn't you're now on Spotify! Good times

2017-10-17 14:13:47

Joseph: yeah, as far as I know from one sound engineer I met in the past the soundtrack was created by one person and He used EastWest orchestral VSTs and probably it's one of the first one released.
Now We have a plenty of choices including free libraries and VSTs like Vienna orchestra which is like 1 TB of HDD space or maybe more by now when you have a full library.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2017-10-17 14:43:23

That's wild. It must have been pretty ground-breaking in that case.

Of course, the best instrument samples in the world can't make a piece of music sound like it's being played by a real orchestra. I don't know much other than what came up in conversations with Steven, but there's a lot more that goes into it—automation and different things with articulation to make the performance sound less computerized, knowing what can and can't be played on different instruments without them sounding too synthetic, knowing how different combinations of sampled instruments sound together, and on and on. If you just take a midi track and play it through the highest quality virtual orchestra, it's still not going to sound anything like a live orchestra. That's one thing I learned through this whole process, and it just makes me appreciate Steven's artistry—and that of other VST composers—so much more.

Lest you all think that because of all this emphasis on the soundtrack, nothing is happening with the game: don't fear. Our sound designer Drew is on a roll and is getting some great work done, and we're working on setting some hard deadlines in the hopes of announcing a release date soon. Just wanted to let you know that we're in a period of good activity. Sometimes, depending on people's work schedules and other stuff going on, we could go a week or so without seeing much new content/any issues resolved; right now, he's sending me new content and/or fixing some other issue every day or two. It's a good thing, and if we can keep this up, you'll be hearing a lot more about the game before you know it.

2017-10-17 14:51:05

I had yet another question, Joseph, a very basic one. I was watching your equipment video and it said there's an equipment sheet and stats sheet. My question is, is there just a character menu you can access at any time?

2017-10-17 15:00:12

2 questions regarding the game:
First: I think I've asked that before but will bosses be specified with a music indicating that this is a boss battle.
And my second question is: how the game's distribution method will be for those who'll purchase it? Is it a registration key or just a download for the game itself? I hope it could be a registration system since that will decrease any vulnerability for it to be illegally distributed.
Thanks Joseph for your great effort, indeed this game will be a really great thing that our gaming history will record and keep.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-10-17 15:19:47

Dragomier: Not entirely sure what you mean by a "character menu" as that could mean different things to different people. Suffice to say, if there's information you want about your character, or actions you want to take, you will be able to.

Muhammad: Things like how boss battles are experienced are the sort of details we prefer to leave for players to experience themselves. I am curious to know why you ask, though? As for the DRM, I can't answer simply because that is something we have yet to finalize. The DRM system we're using for beta testers is imperfect, and we want to work out something better for the release, so it's one of the things still on the to-do list.

2017-10-17 16:54:46

Well of course. I don't exactly know how to word it. My next question: I noticed it said that Gwen is a battlemage while Merlin sounded as though he was a normal mage. I'm not sure if you can answer this, but does that speak of more class customization than was originally apparent?
And I did notice music changes. If you listen to the Farhaven music on the soundtrack and in the radar demo, there's a huge, huge change.

2017-10-17 17:15:56

Hi,
I think that's because the radar demo could be considered placeholder music.
Speaking of which, after a while, not yet, but a while, couldn't some of these earlier themes possibly be uploaded to something like Bandcamp as some sort of additional soundtrack? You'd be surprised how many people would be interested in this. It gives a good idea how music evolves over game development, and just makes fun listening in it's own right. Unfortunately, if a collection of demo themes were to be released, I don't know what I'd name it. But I'd grab it for curiosity's sake.

2017-10-17 17:23:09

That happens sometimes even in mainstream games I’ve noticed. You might have what they used to call a sound test option where you could hear all the music and sound effects in the game, and sometimes you might hear music in the sound test that wasn’t actually used in game. But yeah, it could be called something like heroes call bonus tracks, LOL.