2017-09-27 08:37:30

You can't relax when the deves go silent for about 3 months, with no updates no anything. But sure, now we can, that we sau a reply from them.

Greetings.
My twitter

2017-09-27 10:39:22

excellent news, smoke. Like I never said I thought it was a scam, but I still hold true that it's eresponsible of the developers to go quiet about it --- the mistrust was well earned. Still though I'm happy to hopefully see something soon.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2017-09-27 14:54:41

I have to agree with Assault and others. Relax.  I’ve actually seen mainstream games  where there were periods of at least this long or even longer during the development process where  there was absolutely no news about the progress of the game .

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-09-30 21:44:24

I just got this from Joseph Westhouse
today 29 September 2017
Anybody Home? 

Posted by Out of Sight Games (Creator) 

Yes, we're still here.

We've recently gotten a few inquiries about our progress on the game, that's understandable, since we've gone so long without an update here. First of all, we want to apologize for that. It's easy to say, "we'll wait to update until we have something big to talk about," and then we keep waiting for something big, all the while just chipping away at the game without giving you any signs of life. So first and foremost, this update is an apology for our silence.

But you don't want an apology (well, maybe you do), you want to know what we've been up to! So, here are a few quick details on our progress:

Beta testing is well underway, with a dedicated group of testers helping us hammer out some persistent stability issues, as well as providing great feedback on the game play experience in general. The result is that we've not only been able to squash a lot of bugs, but we're also implementing a number of tweaks that should improve the game play experience overall. Right now we're working on our most drastic set of changes to date in the beta process, and our next build, when it's done, will probably be pretty close to the finished product.

Meanwhile, we've been working with Steven Harriton on the composition of the game's soundtrack, which has come out better than any of us could have hoped. You will probably be hearing more about that in the next week or two, and those of you who scored a free copy of the soundtrack can expect early access to that before it goes on sale.

Other than that, it's been lots of boring technical stuff, which is the unfortunate reality of game design. But that boring technical stuff will be worth it when the game works the way it's supposed to, and you can focus on just enjoying the experience.

One last note, to those who have expressed a desire for more audio demos, promotional samples, and so on. Please remember that we're a small team, all of whom are working on actual development work that has to happen in order for the game to release, and we're doing it in whatever time we can find outside of work and school. It is hard to take time away from what precious little dev time we have, just to make promos that don't actually get the game any closer to release. Also, the nature of the work we've been doing over the last couple of months really doesn't lend itself to promotional material. Rest assured that when we have something new worth showing off, you'll be the first to hear.

In the meantime, we apologize again for the silence, but don't let the silence fool you into thinking the work has stalled. If anything, we're working at a more intense pace than ever, and hopefully you'll reap the benefits of that work sooner than you think.

All the best,

~ the Out of Sight Games team

2017-09-30 22:55:49

o
good news

2017-09-30 23:24:22

I'm glad a hero's call is still going. I love the demo recordings of this game! I can't wait until it's available and I definitely want to buy it and the soundtrack along with it. I still believe this is going to revolutionize audiogames.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-10-01 05:57:37

Cool, kind of what I thought. Some people just seem to want weekly updates.*Laughs*

A Candle Loses Nothing by Lighting Another Candle…
" GamerTag is. ItsTBlaze & Twitter @TBlaze97
"One Love"

2017-10-01 08:30:36

Speaking of audio demos, was there indeed a video that described navigational cues and such? If so, could someone please link me to it?

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-01 08:53:54

hi
go to www.outofsightgames.com

2017-10-01 12:53:52

Dragomier,
There is a Radar Audio Demo
An audio walkthrough of some of the navigation and exploration features for the blind in A Hero’s Call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1PLbPO_W9A

2017-10-01 15:11:37

That’s good to know. I’m certain that once I have access to a working computer again, and once I’ve paid off my extra expenses, I’ll definitely be buying this game.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-10-11 00:15:52

Hey all,

First off, sorry for the long time without updates here or on Twitter. I had to cut down on online activity for a while to get some other things in my life in better balance—plus, we just really didn't have anything interesting to report, which made me very reluctant to check comments on the thread for fear of having to say, "Nothing new to report..."

Fortunately, that fear is behind me! Here are a couple of quick reports:

- Regarding the soundtrack: I'm excited to announce that the soundtrack has been submitted for digital distribution! I will continue to update here/on Twitter as the soundtrack becomes available on the major distribution platforms (Apple Music, iTunes, Amazon mp3, Google Music, Pandora, Spotify). If there are any other platforms you're curious about, let me know in this thread and I'll try to announce when the album is available there as well. In the meantime, those of you who scored a free copy of the soundtrack through the Kickstarter will be hearing from us about how to get your free digital copy (just as soon as we figure out the best way to do that...)

Regarding a release date: "But Joseph, we don't want the soundtrack—we want the game!" Well, I can't give you a firm date yet, but the fact we're releasing the soundtrack should tell you we're pretty close. We're having some very serious discussions about setting a release date, and I hope to have an official date announced soon. The last thing we want to do is make a promise and then fail to keep it, so we are just trying to figure out how much time we need in order to commit to getting the remaining work done. But the second-to-last thing we want to do is keep you all hanging, so we're pushing toward an official date as quickly as possible. Stay tuned!

(Full disclosure: I haven't read any previous comments on this post since my last—if there even are any. I'll get to those as soon as I'm able...

2017-10-11 00:35:13

Hi,
Wow, that is fantastic. I am looking forward to hearing the soundtrack. I backed the tier with the tactile collector's edition, so is this digital soundtrack part of that tier?

2017-10-11 00:43:44

Yep. For backers who backed at the collector's edition and higher we decided that, rather than making you wait until the collector's edition releases, it would only be fair to provide you with a digital copy of the soundtrack in the meantime. Otherwise people who didn't support could go ahead and buy, whereas those of you who did would feel like you had to wait so you don't waste your money. And that would be unfair, for you. So, expect to hear from us once we figure out exactly how we're going to make that work.

2017-10-11 06:07:21

o
this is fantastic news

2017-10-11 08:45:46

Great news on the soundtrack submission.  Looking forward to getting my hands on it.  Going to have to be careful not to burn myself out on it though big_smile

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2017-10-11 09:22:11

I can suggests to release it on Bandcamp.com
The good it about this service is, you can download the albums in differend formats and for me it's ideal as I prefer FLAC over mp3.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2017-10-11 14:07:04

That's actually a nice idea because then people can just Paypal in and buy it as well.

2017-10-11 14:20:29

Yeah we've actually looked into Bandcamp and are planning on releasing there as well—just haven't gotten to it yet. We'll probably have it up on Bandcamp by the time it hits any of the other major marketplaces, i'd guess. I'll include that in the list of ones to let you all know about.

2017-10-11 15:30:54

So I asked this question about ten months ago but I figured I'd ask again given things are of a surer variety. If we were unable to support for the collector's edition during the campaign itself, could we later buy the collector's edition after the game is released?

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-11 16:33:12

Definitely looking forward to this. If finances permit, I’ll be buying the soundtrack even before I get access to working computer, so at least I’ll have something of the game tide me over until I can buy it LOL.

2017-10-11 17:40:47

Dragomir: We haven't made a final decision about that. I don't think it's likely—the truth is, we really don't want to be in the business of selling physical merchandise. What we may do, however, is offer a first-come-first-serve sale of any extra collector's editions that are left after we fulfill the Kickstarter rewards. I can't guarantee that, however.

2017-10-12 04:39:28

Some happy news for those of you who don't want to eait for iTunes, Google Music, etc.: the soundtrack should be up for sale on Bandcamp on Friday. I will post the link here when it goes up, and we'll also add it to our website I imagine. If you got a free copy as part of your Kickstarter incentives, you should have already received an email with a code for your free download—enjoy a little early access on us, as a thank you for making this whole thing possible!

2017-10-12 04:51:54

Hey, just curious, I remember in the description on kickstarter it said that there was turn based combat and it also said something about positional audio. Does that mean that there are turn based as well as realtime combat?  Like would we choose? Or is it only turn based just with stereo sounds in turms of where you and your party are and where the ennemie is? Great to hear that your releasing the soundtrack, can't wait for the game though.
Is this openworld to an extent as well? Or is it a strict storyline. Seemed to me like its a storyline with sidequests but you could do your own thing for a bit if you wanted and explore. Is it also possible to attack shopkeepers and what not if you feel like it? Haha its extra xp so.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-10-12 05:03:59

Hey Rory,

Good questions. The combat is all turn-based, but with an emphasis on immersive audio design. The audio isn't just stereo, but actually uses HRTF with headphones and full 5.1 surround if available with speakers to create a sense of actual space.

As for open world vs. storyline—as with most open-world RPGs there is a main quest that proceeds along a fairly set story line (though you have some control over what order you go about pursuing different aspects of the main quest). The world is open in the sense that you are able to explore areas freely, rather than having a series of isolated stages that aren't part of an open map. It's not open in the sense of being able to do whatever you want, such as murdering shopkeepers (sorry to disappoint).