2008-04-09 18:42:05

cw wrote:

Probly not. I have nokia 6620 and when ever someone calls and I don't answer I always get the same complaint. Why didn't you pick up when you knew it was me?" "Let's see, maybe I was busy or on the move."

I meant call the place that is supposedly fixing his unit.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-09 19:09:10

Lol. Oops.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-10 20:00:21

Pretty interesting thread.

First off, I like that there are so many choices now. 10 years ago it seemed like you had the Braille N Speak and Braille Lite and that was it. Sure there were a couple other ones, but I didnt find out about them until later when I started using the Internet.

I did a project on this very topic for one of my college classes. I made a website listing different notetakers/PDA's, as well as screen readers, and organized all their useful features, and put in some tips for people looking at buying one. LOL I just have to figure out how to put pictures in since that was part of the assignment.

I suppose if anyone wants to see it, I could keep it around. LOL right now I'm not planning to put it up anywhere, but maybe I'll decide to do that sometime. LOL Right now I've just got it on my thumb drive.

I use a PAC Mate myself, and I am very glad I chose it. Although, part of me wishes I would've gotten a BX instead of a QX because of the smaller size. I have also upgraded to the Omni, but am kind of unimpressed. It seems to be very unstable. I've had it lock up on me quite a bit, and I have to play with it to get it to warm reset, and sometimes that doesn't work so a hard reset is in order. Thank goodness for the fact that you dont lose any data when you do that.
It is nice that the Icon has WiFi built in, but the disadvantage is that if WiFi standards change you could be stuck. That is one good thing about the PM using wireless cards, because if you need to use 802.11G or N, you can just buy a new card. The downside is that CF periperals seem to be being phased out.
Brian

2008-04-10 20:25:50

On my PM, I so far needed to do a vary few cold or should I say hard resets. on the other hand, the omni does seem to be jurkyer. I do like the fact I can get the periperals that I need on it. From what I see, it all depends on what you need. When I got my bx, wich is an omni now, it was the only unit that you could buy a display for at a later time and that was what I did because of money ishues. Also, a BX440 is cheeper then a BN with a 32 cell display.. The question still remains, what does the person who is buying a notetaker or PDA need? If you can post that paper, then that might shed some light on what people need to think about.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-10 23:17:31

I'll mention that so far the B/G/N devices available seem to be interoperable. In other words a router capable of G can work with devices working on B. This might change in the future, but as you say there is very little in the way of CF peripherals. The manufacture of them will likely also be reduced by the fact that almost all PDAs these days come with wi fi and bluetooth built in, so their market is very limited. It would have been nice if the PM had at least included bluetooth, even in the omni version. I would have considered upgrading if they had.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-11 00:29:02

Ok. Sorry to pull apart this PM discussion. PM's seem really cool and CX2 that's right they're interchangeable, so a b router works with a g card which works with an n wireless device, visevirsa. I should know I have a router that works b and g and devices that  have b connections. Speaking of wireless, b and g connections, still havent gotten my Braille+ so I sent an email to the email list on APH's discussion. If they're not gonna answer, they'll have to tell me something now because I also stated that I sent 3 emails,  1 to Larry, 2 to the tech support lady, Pamela Rader, so they've gotta tell me something now--if they don't I'll have somethin to say...

2008-04-11 01:21:14

thanks for pulling it apart. anyway, how long does a compiny like this take to respond? Just wondering.

DropBox Referral

2008-04-11 03:12:26

I dont know. But, guess what. It takes 6 to 7 weeks to get a Braille+ repaired...

2008-04-11 04:24:26

Andy call, them,
also, guys I love the icon braille plus!
I just ripped a cd, put the files in my music folder, shared that file on my network, and downloaded all the songs I wanted onto my braille plus through file sharing

Connor

2008-04-11 22:44:37

Actually, it's coming in about 4 days. I forced an answer out of them by emailing the list, and they answered me onlist. Cool, eh?

2008-04-12 15:10:30

yeah, not bad

Connor

2008-04-12 17:00:49

I think FS said they are trying to "future proof" the Omni as best they can by using CF periferals. I have my doubts as to whether that will work or not. I wouldn't have minded  if they made bluetooth built into the Omni, but that would have of course made the upgrade cost more. The one thing I wish they would've added is an SD slot. That way you could use periferals and storeage cards that use that, and SD seems to be the most popular storage card in mainstream devices these days.

2008-04-12 17:48:54 (edited by cx2 2008-04-12 17:52:59)

Well I'm not sure bluetooth would be that expensive, I mean all PDAs come with it as standard in the mainstream and increasingly laptops. Most decent mobile phones do too, especially those which can be adapted with software such as talks. This makes me think the parts can't be that expensive, and also means there is a vast number of possible uses and devices out there for us blindies.

Also there are very few CF peripherals about period. On top of this "future proofing" is an exercise in futility quite frankly. CF cards are admittedly a nice physical size, but I don't think I would mind an SD card slot so much though it would mean they would have to alter the shell some. I know plenty of PDAs used to come with one of each of SD and CF slots. This might even make a little more space inside the unit.

Given that the omni seems to be an upgrade to the existing units it is more likely that there are internal issues with fitting the bluetooth, it isn't a new design just a retrofit really as I understand it. Backing this is the mention of replacing your battery at the same time as getting the upgrade to the omni. It's the cheap and easy way for FS to deliver the upgrade overall. Not really a new type of PM in its own right.

cx2
-----

2008-04-13 22:57:40

ha "Us blindys"
anyway, can someone explain bluetooth to me please?

Connor

2008-04-16 23:58:16 (edited by andy smith 2008-04-16 23:59:58)

Bluetooth is a short range wireless comunication between bluetooth enabled devices. Such examples:
Cell phones
Keyboards
Mice and monitors

If you want more information, go to
BlueTooth on WikiPedia

2008-04-17 00:02:51

oh I thought you could use bluetooth to connect to the internet

Connor

2008-04-17 02:14:35

Does anyone play games on their PDAs? I know the BN surport some of those text advangers games and there are a few games out for the PM. I don't know about the braille sence or Icon. The only game I miss from the blt was bongo, even if the blt40 that I played it on was a loner. What ever happen to the the one who was going to write it for windows?

DropBox Referral

2008-04-18 14:28:55

Small note, it is theoretically possible to use bluetooth to access the internet... but not directly. You can connect your phone to your PDA or laptop and use it to connect. You can also use bluetooth lan connections, but they are vastly reduced in range. We're talking about 10 metres max normally.

cx2
-----

2008-04-18 16:10:11

ah okay

Connor

2008-04-18 23:16:46

Yeah, that's correct. CJ if you want the instructions for doing this with a BrailleNote I can post them here. Guys:

BraillePlus and Icon come with tic tac toe and youu can add hangman, blackjack and sodoku. At
The Icon and BraillePlus User Site

HTH

2008-04-21 09:29:50

Is the Icon and the Braillle Plus not the same unit?
when I look on Levelstars website, I can't choose to purchase the Braille Plus. Only the Icon. I can't find any informations about the Braille Plus either.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-04-21 16:04:23

yeah sorry SLJ they are both the same

Connor