2008-04-02 00:14:59

You can CJ, but apparently the server was having problems. Go ahead. It's actually 2 updates. First since they changed the update all up, you need to get 1.06 build 28. Then, once installed you need version 1.1. Don't ask me how to use it since I don't have a damn, my unit is still in for repairs. Hope it wasn't lost cuz now it's quite strange. I did not use free matter or anything so it should be fine but I don't know. aph.ort/tech has more info CJ, so go there to get more.

2008-04-02 08:50:45

Hi.

How is the sound quallity while listening to mp3 music through headphones on the Icon? Sounds like the internal speakers are good like the Packmate.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-04-03 03:27:28

The internal speakers aren't bad just a bit quiet. The quality of headphones is based on what you have. For example, a 5 dollar headphone is not gonna sound good, compared to the 300 dollars Bose quiet comfort 3 noise canceling headphones, which btw are excellent. Though, when using speech and i want it private I use the earpiece. It's litterally an earpiece like that of a telephone. Lol! I think they plan to include a cellphone in  2 years or so and a gps in perhaps 3 or 4 years--these are just random guesses but probably not that far off the mark.

2008-04-03 10:01:22

Okay. Thanks for your reply. I must buy one!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2008-04-03 15:21:49

Do yall think about hardware when it comes to these devices? I was wondering , because each device has a differant set of hardware and software. It's like chooseing a ship in smugglers3. When I got my pm, the only choices that I can remember was betrain it in the BN, but that was like in 2003. Now days, I would have to look at my options. I would say they got better as the time went on. I know the impower has a FM tuner, but that is useless to me, because I don't listen to the radio when using a PDA. That is do to the fact that I'm having to do other stuff at that time. I sometimes listen to music, but that is useally when I'm doing something in FSEdit. When I'm trying to type an essay wile going down the road, I don't want to worry about changing stations. On the other hand, I could always stream my favorit stations over the net. So what hardware affects your desision makeing. Is it more memory, fastor or builtin wireless ETC?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-04 03:05:21

Well, I know I keep talking about the Braille+ but I like all of the hardware on it. One thing that it does not have is fm tuner, but if that is a hardware thing, if that were included, say in the cellphone upgrade in a few years that'd rock beyond rocking! Also, the memory is 30gb, plus an extra 128megs (they say 200megs of flash  but i only got 128megs because the rest is for linux and such), but 30gb+mini sd cards+usb drives+network file shares+the ability to make it so windows sees it as a drive, is amazing!

2008-04-04 21:37:50

yeah as a matter a fact? as I type this I am listening to reggae on my braille plus online the device is pretty handy

Connor

2008-04-04 23:23:34

Do yall think that there is a surton balance betrain hardware and software, and if so then what is the purfect balance for? I'm trying to help those who might be reading this to get unbius info on the different divises out there, so the more info the better. I know that FS saids that their's is the best, and humanwhere would say the same. So far, there is no bashing and I would perfur it to stay that way on here. I figger that the more info the better. I also trying to see where PDAs for the blind are going in the future. So far they look like they are going more main stream as some one already said, if I remember correctly.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-05 00:50:11 (edited by cx2 2008-04-05 00:52:20)

Yeah, that was me I think. I see the software going more mainstream, with mainstream hardware for people who want to use it as an information manager. Contacts, appointments, and so on maybe with a few text notes. On the other hand I still think custom built hardware running mainstream software like the PM. This is for the lighter, smaller, instant on, better battery life use like a laptop type market.

The latter is obviously quite useful for higher education type situations, and for anyone who needs to work on documents and/or email while on the move but doesn't want a laptop for whatever reason. Personally I'm paranoid about those laptop hard drives, even though I've never broken one. Normal drives are fragile enough, but metal coated glass eek.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-06 00:16:22

I hope there comes a day, when you can listen to any media that you wish to listen to (even videos)
plus I would love to be able to put aim, skype, or msn on my bn or braille plus

Connor

2008-04-06 01:08:49

I have two more questions for the Icon:
If you dameged or totally crash the operating system using the console, is it then possible to reinstall it on your own or do you need to send the unit to Level star?

Is it possible to use other synthicizers than the Elluquence speech?

Best regards SLJ.

2008-04-06 01:40:40

Also, is humanware coming out with more updates for the BN or has it out lasted its time? I guess you would say that I'm more of a lighter user when it comes to PDAs. Like using mainstream software, but don't want to worry about pareing my display with the device, or installing a screenreader after a cleen reset but then again, I don't know how you would do somethin like that on a smart phone. I mainly use the PM on those trips that battery life rules over a faster CPU or mor memory, but when I need to do something that requires space and power over long battery life then my laptop gets used on the trip. Now if the braille+ or the ICon gains a cellphone function Then I will for sure think about getting one. Hmmm, mabey I should try a smart phone? Can someone do a review of one on blindcooltech? What is coming in the icon, braille+, braille note, braille sence, pacmate and etc?

DropBox Referral

2008-04-06 05:44:31

As for the synthesizers, nope. Unless there's a way to silence the eloquence. To prove it, I tried installing cepstral for linux. it crashed my unit so badly, I had to reflash at least 10 times and then remove all the cepstral junk.

If you totally screw up the OS? What would you be doing in the console to screw up the OS. If you screw up the Braille+ Python-based software that runs on top of linux, just reflash you're good. If you fring up Linux, you'll probably have to send in your unit. Sure reinstalling the Debian kernel with Busybox and open embedded wont be a problem, but it uses crazy libraries so I don't know how  a debian kernel with busybox  running open embedded even makes sense. But apparently, it does to LevelStar. I don't care--as long as it works--which it does really well. If I don't get my unit in 2 weeks I am calling APH about it... Cuz I sent it in like 3 weeks ago.

2008-04-06 05:46:30

Also, CJ, try mplayer. google it and see what ya get it supports all kinds of formats. Dunno about streams, but I suppose so. Can't test it since my unit is still in. Now as I said I am extremely worried--wonder how well it's doing. Maybe it got lost in the mail. That's why you shouldn't mail stuff, folks... Can get lost. If that happened to my Braille+, I'll... I dont know what I'll do... But nothing good.

2008-04-06 15:54:58

oh I tried the update, its pretty cool, it seems to stop my internet from crashing after a half an hour or so on it the wireless
Plus was there a links or headers mode before this update?

Connor

2008-04-06 21:50:40

CJ you downloaded version 1.06.28, and then version 1.1 build 1, right? just checking--cuz there was some confusion on the email list and i want to make sure you've got it ok.

2008-04-07 09:26:57

Andy: It makes me sad to hear you haven't got your Icon yet. I hope you'll get it very soon.
One feature Level star should make on the Icon is a way to reinstall the whole system again. There should be a kind of a boot file on their website you could download, copy the file to the unit and hold down a button on the it to start booting from the file. You see what I mean? This would be a cool feature. You could screw up the machine and be able to reinstall the whole system very easy.

I'm wandering if it's possible to use the unit together with a Macintosh? It should be possible when Mac also runs on Unix, but I have to be sure it works before I buy an Icon.

Best regards SLJ.

2008-04-08 01:11:43

Yo. Pretty sure it works with a MAC, since people are reporting it works fine on Mac's. Also, I have just sent an enquary to Pamela Rader, the APH tech support personell, about my repairs and hope I get a reply since it's still not here yet.

2008-04-08 12:30:47

Nice. I must get one. I need to sell one of my laptops first.

Best regards SLJ.

2008-04-08 23:13:18

yeah I just did Andy

Connor

2008-04-08 23:30:09 (edited by andy smith 2008-04-08 23:31:58)

Ok. Good. Seriously, I wouldn't recommend breaking a unit. I sent an email to APH yesterday. Wanna know what's so funny? I got no reply. But, since I'm on the Icon list and Pamela Rader is on that, she replied to all kinds of topic so I assumed she's reply to my email asking about my repair? Nothing. I even did an archive search to see if maybe I missed it. No luck. So, either I lost my unit or Pamela is an idiot, whichever. Both maybe--even a nice "we don't know" reply could have helped so I knew what was going on. Not a dawned reply...

Edit: Still mad about it...

2008-04-09 01:28:11

LOL. Wish you alot of luck there.

DropBox Referral

2008-04-09 01:53:46

Is calling on the phone practical? It usually makes it harder to wriggle out of answering for them.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-09 14:55:12

Probly not. I have nokia 6620 and when ever someone calls and I don't answer I always get the same complaint. Why didn't you pick up when you knew it was me?" "Let's see, maybe I was busy or on the move."

DropBox Referral

2008-04-09 17:06:30

yeah Andy try calling

Connor