2008-03-23 19:36:06

Seeing that it is easter, I thought we could find some eggs. I don't mean the kind that are boiled or the kind made of plastic. I'm talking about the kind that may be hidden in games or in software. The kind that could make life a little more fun and or easier, like the exter audio clips in judgement day, or the lesser known commands in your screen reader or other software. also tips and tricks on how to do something the someone is having troubles with. I don't mean for this topic to be a boring topic, so lets try to make it fun and a bennafit to everyone.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-03-23 22:41:44

Lesser known perhaps in Windows - go to the folder containing your start menu, find the shortcut for your screen reader. Open up its properties, and find the part for a shortcut key. I recommend you type in control+alt+the first letter of your reader's name, so I have control alt J for Jaws.

Now if things go wonky, and believe me they do, you can reload your reader with the shortcut. You can also use it to open your reader if you have to close it so others can use your computer without it interfering, or for some games, etc.

Now if you have NVDA installed too it has a default shortcut of control alt N... thus if things go really wonky you can launch NVDA to deal with any error boxes and ensure your reader is fully closed down, then relaunch it.

Also under power in your Windows control panel find the place where you can define what your computer's buttons do. If you set the power button to "shutdown" it also provides a convenient way of safely turning off your computer, and another backup function since you can safely shutdown your computer in some situations where you otherwise can't control the computer.

Hope these qualify, they certainly make my life a lot easier.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-03-24 00:21:17

It most surtonly does. I guess I will do my share  here. If you need a shortcut to a pease of software or game (like time adventures), navigate to the software in question and press your app key. Go down to "create" shortcut. now go down to your shortcut and press ctrl x and then navigate to your start button and press your app key and go to "open folder". Then go to where you want to put the shortcut and press ctrl v. For exsample if you want it in the programs folder the you will open the programs folder before pressing ctrl v. Also if you like the music in time adventures then go to the "dirs\canciones" folder. You will find some MP3s there.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-03-24 12:25:42

wow this is cool. cx2, cj, you both rock.
now my turn. ok, this one requires winamp. these are quite well known. following is really cool though:
go to file. select open folder. open up a massive folder, i don't know, something with everything in there. exes, sounds, subfolders, everything. i opened up a huge  folder. it took ages to load, but it was well worth it. it had 28000 sound files. 28! thousand! it was such a blast and took me a day or 2 to look through, but it was such a blast.
now open up a long file of about an hour or more. while the file's playing, press ctrl + j. then you can see the file length and what current position you are in, and type in a new one. for example, if the file's 1 hour and 10 minutes and you want to go to about 40 minutes, you would enter 40:00. this is really cool.
now for games. i discovered these eggs while i was looking through that huge folder i mentioned. in esp pinball classic, i think, just leave it at the main menu. eventually, you should hopefully hear some sound files play. i don't know when though.
also in ten pin alley, when bowlin ball says something like, press the space bar to pick up the ball, just wait. he eventually starts talking about the key, but that's all i will say. don't do anything still. keep waiting. he will hopefully start talking about something to do with a... a... oh no. i don't want to spoil it.

2008-03-25 01:38:14

Yeah I know about that. I was talking to Cj on the phone awhile ago with ten pin alley running.  I'd rolled a few balls and left it there and the guy kept saying, "it's the big bar shape on your keyboard..."
"Come on. Push it!"
And other such stuff. Lol it was funnyyyyyy!

2008-03-25 02:49:11

my turn
type oops at the pinball extreem main menu to here a clip of something
you'll here a bleep after you type any correct letter at the main menu
and a correction about esppinball clasic you'll here the sounds when it says launch ball
one thing you'll here is snoring

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2008-03-28 02:21:48

Here's an odd one.

When you switch windows while Top Speed 2 is running the game keeps running in the background, and if you are using a joystick/wheel/gamepad or other "game controller" you can actually play it while another window is active. You might need to take a leaf out of Zafod Beeblebrox's book and grow a third arm to pull it off effectively, but its mildly amusing all the same.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-03-28 14:13:20

LOL. I will have to try the last two for shure. I think I will try everyone that I don't know the result of just to see what happons.

DropBox Referral

2008-03-28 16:44:09

wait I'm confused, Arron said I rock, what did I do? or was that meant to be CW

Connor

2008-03-28 17:39:44

you were right on your first guess.

DropBox Referral

2008-03-28 18:09:06 (edited by aaron 2008-03-28 18:10:56)

cj, i think it was you. and that goes for everyone else as well. all these easter eggs are brillient!
although... there have been odd roomers over the last year, one of which is that if you reach level 100 on super deekout there is a boss. i don't even know if that's true or if it's been confirmed or anything.

2008-03-31 22:46:30

Ok. Watch this. If you position your cursor after a word in a word doc or something, and press ctrl backspace. The word gets deleted. How cool is that!

2008-04-01 03:13:15

Here are a couple, both require a bn. If your running keysoft 7.0 or higher, go to the main menu then type u for utilities, k for key management and e for enter a new product key. Now type "playtime" whthout the quotes and hit enter. You are now in a braille version of Tetris! hahahaha! You can hit space with h or f1 if you're using a qt and you will get a command list. To exit the game, press space with e or escape. Now, if your running keysoft 7.2 or higher, at that same product key field, type "dj" again without the quotes and hit enter. This is a tribute to Dean Jackson, a greatly loved/valued and all that employee for Humanware who, sadly and unfortunately died in February a couple years ago.

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2008-04-01 15:52:36

oh I have to try that now!
Plus how did I rock if I didn't post any hints?
Just wondering I mean its cool if you think I rock, but yeah.

Connor

2008-04-01 16:05:37

haha, I just tried it, the tetris, but I don't know the point of this game, can anyone educate me?

Connor

2008-04-02 20:00:53

Hi, In Tetris you must arange the falling pieces so they fit together or something. In playtime, the outer left thumkey moves the piece left, the outer right key moves it right, and the inner thumbkeys move around the board. On the third and second cell it has what line of the board your on. The number on the right of the display is the speed. Press the outer and inner left thumbkeys to drop the current piece if you think it will to pause the game, press enter.

That's about all I know, hopefully someone else has more info.

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2008-04-02 21:28:28

When a line is completely filled in without any blanks that line disappears. The game is over when you clear all the lines, not counting the beginning where you probably don't have any. The pieces in the visual version used to come in different shapes, and could be rotated to fit better. The shapes I recall were all made up of four blocks and described as follows -

straight line of four
Square 2 by 2
T with three in a row and one in the middle on another row
L shaped, like the T but with the extra block to one side or the other

Hope that helps somewhat.

cx2
-----

2008-04-03 23:53:28

I didn't know about this one for a while.

Don't you hate it when you arrow down in a webform combobox only to jump to that selection? "Wait... I didn't get to make a choice," you shout in desperation.

Peace, my child, for I have come to enlighten thee.

Use alt+down to "open" the combobox, make your choice, and use alt+up or enter to execute it. No more "non-blind'friendly" dropdown menus.

I'm sure I have some other ones kicking around here.

James

2008-04-04 00:16:16 (edited by cx2 2008-04-04 00:16:56)

And if the combo box is still a pain, as sometimes happens, Jaws users can press insert + numpad -, then use the Jaws cursor to find the correct option and press numpad slash.

Some combos seem to rely on an actual click event.

Clarification:
You would need to press alt + down first, but not alt + up

cx2
-----