2016-12-27 13:17:07 (edited by SLJ 2016-12-27 14:57:04)

I finally got it accepted by a virtual click. I don't find the website  user friendly at all. Deploying the server was a challenge, because I wasn't sure what was selected, and I managed to select the wrong country. Well, the server is running. But, I can't connect using SSH to the server. I'm not sure on what I'm doing wrong. I type ssh and then the IP address but it won't connect.
I think I'll take a look at Lynode as well to compare those services.
Edit:
Okay, so I've just realized I messed up, big time. The first time I tried to log in, I got a warning saying I couldn't log in, and it asked if I wanted to keep trying. I said no, and then the connection stopped working. When I try to log into my Vultr server, nothing happens. So I'l try to destroy the server and reinstall it.
I have created an account on Lynode as well to compare those two services. I know this is more expensive, but I must say for a total newbie like me, I'll prefer Lynode because the website is really great, the dashboard is very accessible and easy to navigate. I fully understand those who choose Vultr because they are cheep. I think I'll use Vultr as a test server and Lynode for more serious stuff. The current status is that I have successfully connected to my Lynode server using SSh.
thank you so much for all your recommendations so far. I'm sure I'l have more questions later on, but currently, my goal is to learn the basics Unix commands and system. Ubuntu have some fantastic documentation. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-12-27 18:58:22

Hi again.
So, I'm starting to get the basics., but I still have a lot of things to learn.
I have created the users I need, and I need to read about the different groups, permissions etc. because I have no idea on how this works.
I'll also take a look on how nanoedit works, since I need that later on. Seems interesting.
I'm glad I'm starting to get the basics how things works. I just need to get used to the ls command, which prints things out which is difficult to read, because multiple files and folders are on the same line, and folders aren't mentioned as folders but just empty, like filenames without an extension.
My first goal is to set up a Teamtalk server.
I have downloaded the compressed file by using the gw command, and the file got downloaded to the right folder. This is really a useful command.
However, I'm not sure on how the tar command works. There are a ton of arguments, and I find it difficult to figure out what I need. There is -x to extract, but it fails when using only the -x argument.
So I looked it up on Google, and someone suggested some other arguments, I think it was f and z, but without any explanations. I tried that, and the Teamtalk file got extracted into a new folder with the same name as the file. I want to choose a shorter name if possible, but don't know how to do it. However, I gave it a try and entered the folder.
The tt5srv file which is the server file don't have an extension, which I find pretty weird. So because of that I'm unable to start the server.
I have searched on Google how to install a Teamtalk server, but again, all the explanations I find don't make much sense to me. I mean, what's the point of typing a lot of random commands when you don't know what they do? I'm trying to learn while doing this, so therefore, I'm not up for typing in random commands which I don't know what do... smile
So, any clue on what to do? Do I need to install something extra, or have I extracted the file incorrectly?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2016-12-27 19:06:55

Hi!
To start the server, first you have to set the permissions to the server file. To do that type

chmod +x ./tt5srv
It will set the permission for tt5srv file. Then, type
./tt5srv
This command will launch the file tt5srv.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2016-12-27 19:57:21

Here's an in-depth tutorial on how to get a teamtalk server up and running. It's for Vultr but it should work for either or. As for vultr, they did make their c-panel very inaccessible recently,and before that it was almost completely accessible. The server recommended is a debian7x64 distribution, and I'd recommend debian anyway. I'll give Vultr another try and see if I can make a guide on getting past the confusing setup using nvda. You could then try both Linode and Vultr since the teamtalk installation method would be the same for both, and then see which one you like.
https://www.vultr.com/docs/setup-a-team … r-on-linux

2016-12-27 20:13:37 (edited by jack 2016-12-27 20:28:37)

Ok, here's the scoop on Vultr. To create the server, you're gonna want to use a lot of virtual focus and clicking, nvda object navigation works best for this. Go to Vultr and click on deploy instance. What you'll be presented with is first a list of country, I was presented with 5, and then a list of cities for close proximity. Where you click depends on what you want. For example, since Chicago Illinois was a location below the list of 5 countries, I clicked on that. Keep in mind that while the cities are one per line, the list of 5 or so countries will appear as a block of text. So for this, what you wanna do here is move by character to the first character of the country you want, then hit insert+shift+m to move the mouse cursor to that element. Then hit insert+left bracket to do a left click on that item. You'll want to remember these two commands as you'll be using them throughout this whole process. As for the cities, you'll do the same insert+shift+m to focus, left click to activate however it will be easier as all the cities are separated by a line. Still, it's safe to hit the home key on a line just to make sure it's focused, insert+shift+m to focus, left click to activate. The next heading is the server type, move your cursor to the 6 on 64bit operating system, focus, then click on that. Next, os selection. There will be a line that says, debian select version. Focus and click on that. Then there will be some new clickable elements, you want to focus and click on 7x64 for debian 7x64. Next there will be the hd space, memory and cpu selection. A decent one for your purposes is the 20gb ssd so focus on the 20gb ssd line, focus and click on that. After extra features, there are two more settings you wanna configure, and that's host name, you could type sljVultr for example, this is what you'll be connecting to via ssh. The label edit box allows you to label it you can type the same thing, click deploy and you're good to go! It'll show that it's now installing debian7 onto your server. The installing status isn't in realtime, so I'd say wait 5 or so minutes for the operating system to install, then refresh your browser. Now you should click on, for once, an actual clickable link! that should be labeled as whatever you named your vultr server. It will give you the overview, in which there are 3 things you should look for. Your ip address, the username *should be root* and your password. The password i hidden by default, click the show password link, or the copy password link to automatically copy it. Now, you can use terminal on the mac, or whatever you use to access ssh, and do ssh [email protected] replacing those characters with your actual ip of course, then hit enter. You'll get a warning about adding the ssh key into /users/username/.ssh/known_hosts, but since this is your own server this shouldn't be a problem, just type yes and hit enter. Now type or paste in your password. You'll know it's successful when you start to hear the standard debian disclaimer, and get placed in the root of your server. The rest is accessible from here on out.

2016-12-27 20:43:19

Thanks a lot guys. @Jack regarding Vultr: Currently, I'll stick to Lynode, because I just need a dashboard which is easy to navigate while concentrating on learning Linux. I really prefer your help though, since I might need to set up an other Linux server for a much bigger project in the future. I'll keep my Vultr account, and thanks a lot for the credit.
Regarding the Teamtalk server: I messed up the tar command, and confused myself by not knowing what was the server file without any extension, and what was the server folder. I found a documentation explaining more about the tar command, and everything seem to work.
I'm currently accessing the server using the root access. When the server is up and running, I'll start to read about how users and permission works.
Why does the LS command not tell if it's a folder? I find it difficult to know if it's a folder or a filename without an extension because the ls command doesn't say so.

Best regards SLJ.

2016-12-27 20:58:13

No problem. Supposedly Vultr has a special promotion going right now if you make a $10 balance reload, and they give free credit as well if you follow @vultr on twitter. Many opportunities to gain more free credit. And there's always Vultr's hourly rates so if you wanted to do a bigger project but not a constant one, like an temporary internet radio stream without automation, then Vultr's hourly would be the right choice. Nevertheless, if you want to switch between the two for your different needs that is also very doable, because as long as you're using the same linux installation on both servers, operation of them is exactly the same.

2016-12-27 21:29:39

@jack: Thanks for your understanding for my needs.
Yay! My first and biggest goal is now done. I currently have a Teamtalk server, which works... I know that might sounds nothing to you, but I'm quite proud of myself for having gone from not knowing much about the Linux console to setting it all up and getting something to work that fast. big_smile
Two questions:
1: Would some of you mind if I get a better contact to you like Skype or Facebook so we can chat privately? I don't wanna talk, just chat privately about a lot of basic Linux things, because there are a lot of things which I currently don't understand how works. It would be faster to chat privately about this than using the forum. It is of course okay if you don't wanna chat privately about this, but only wanna answer questions on the forum.
2: Do you think it would be a good idea to write a totally newbie guide on how to get started on using Linux? I think many people are in the same boat like me. they have wanted to try Linux for very long time, but they get confusing each time they try to look up some documentation. I have spend most of the day searching the internet for a lot of basic things which I had to learn, and I have read a lot on forums and in documentations. I have messed things up, had to start from scratch, and it have taken a lot of time to get where I am now, and I have not even learned all the basics yet. So, what do you think about writing a basic documentation so people quickly can learn all the basics?

Best regards SLJ.

2016-12-27 23:23:53

A quick question which I can't find much information about on the internet:
I accidentally started the Teamtalk server as none daemon. This means I  can't enter commands in the terminal. Is there any way to switch between the open application and the terminal or go back to the terminal without rebooting the server from the dashboard?

Best regards SLJ.

2016-12-29 11:54:08

Hi all.
I wanna thank you all very much for all your great answers in this topic.
I have gone from knowing close to nothing about the console in Linux to have a working server, managed users, the groups I need, added a bit of security and some other stuff as well. I would never have been able to do all that on my own without your help. So thank you so much... I'll continue to learn a lot about Linux.
A friend of mine told me that a previous version of Ubuntu have longer support regarding to updates. So I'm not sure if I should install a previous version or not. Hw do I update the version of Ubuntu in the future? Does the apt-get update and upgrade automatically download the newest version of Ubuntu as well?

Best regards SLJ.

2016-12-30 14:38:40 (edited by Sebby 2016-12-30 14:41:16)

You certainly jumped in at the deep end, didn't you? This is why I generally prefer to explain Linux from the bottom to the top, rather than the other way around--there's a lot of fundamental stuff you should really know before you go playing with fire, and getting confused and frustrated. Nevertheless, congratulations on having got where you are.

And to answer some of your questions: the way to get ls to print in a single column is to use the -1 switch, to identify types using either the -l (long) or -F (types) switches, and to show all files (including files starting with a dot) using the -a switch. Then tar is usually started with either c for create and x for extract, z for gzip compression or j for bzip2 compression, and f filename for a file instead of standard input. What's standard input? You need to do some homework to answer that question, but by way of example, try typing "ls -la /Bin|more". Oh, and daemons can't be controlled once they have gone into the background; if you'd wanted to do that, you'd already have the means to communicate with the daemon by some other methods. Learn about job control in your shell if you'd like to learn about switching tasks, start multiple shells by connecting again using ssh, and kill processes using the kill and killall commands. Check the manual pages for this stuff for full details, as well as that of your shell, bash (warning: very, very long page!).

This looks like a promising tutorial.

I don't have easy access to chat stuff. Email and this forum work well though. If you find I'm slow to answer, feel free to just mail me. I'm sure we can sort you out if you get really badly confused.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-12-30 19:36:05

Thanks a lot. I have read a lot of tutorials and tried to learn from those. So I'm not sure on what you mean by learning it from the bottom. I've tried to do that. smile  I might send you a mail if I run into trouble.

Best regards SLJ.

2016-12-31 11:49:47

@SLJ no problem; feel free to mail me if you need (it's right there on all my posts).

By learning from the bottom up, I mean you should start with the mechanics and principles and go upward, instead of trying to digest everything necessary, at once, in order to achieve some complex task that's on your mind from the outset. UNIX is not user-friendly--or at least, it's picky about who its friends are. You have to learn the building blocks, so you can create your own solutions. Once you understand the simplicity of the UNIX philosophy, and how each individual piece of the puzzle is best suited to a particular problem in its own right, and how to combine those blocks together, you will begin to appreciate just how powerful the tools you have are.

So in summary: carry on learning. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2017-07-19 20:41:07

Hello!
I found this topic and thought I'd share some of my resources.
So if I'm not mistaken, places like DreamHost and BlueHost are web hosting services that allow you to share the server with other customers, think of renting an apartment complex with many tenants. What you're probably looking for, and my guess is that you already found a solution, is a cloud hosting or dedicated VPS. I first started out with Windows on http://www.vps.net/ but I know people who use Linode, Voltr, OVH, Digital Ocean, and a few others.
I got interested in them when I was wondering how some of my favourite on-line games hosted their servers all the time.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-21 08:25:16

Hi.
Thanks for your comment. I found a solution in December last year. I chose Linode, which is really good for my needs.

Best regards SLJ.