2016-11-26 08:08:44

so, it has come to my attention that the traditional home button was removed from the iPhone 7.  This, as you all know, will likely make it more difficult for VoiceOver users to activate voiceover in the event of a crash.  What I wish to ask is this, should apple keep the new home button they have implemented on the iPhone 7, or revert to the old one?  You have a week to submit your votes.

You can't connect the dots looking forward.  You can only connect them looking backwards.

2016-11-26 08:32:19

actually the button is encircled by a small metal ring like in the other iphones so there is no problem in finding it. You also get haptic feedback when you press it so I really don't see a problem for the blind if the iphone crashes, which is very unlikely to happen, I'm using iphones since 2011 and I never experienced such a serious crash that could prevent me from using the iphone.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2016-11-26 13:40:31

Lol
How should I submit my votes?
Should I spend 600 dollars to travel to USA, join the office, and fill in the submition form, or can it be done online as a google form or anything like that?

2016-11-26 16:48:53

or you can just write here your opinion, I'm sure that "mister Steve Jobs The Great dead man" will take into account what you have to say. he might even implement some of your suggestions rofl! smile

Stephen King

2016-11-26 20:45:32

yes, just submit your ideas here.  While I can not directly implement them, someone can.

You can't connect the dots looking forward.  You can only connect them looking backwards.

2016-11-26 20:56:16

You'll know when the iphone has that much of a serious crash, because you won't feel the home button press. When the phone's unusable, the home button does not press. Because it's not a mechanical button, it's an electromagnet combined with a taptic engine, both require the device to be powered on. And in the event that the home key doesn't work to turn on voiceover, the last resort would be to plug in the phone and click configure universal access in itunes.

2016-11-26 20:58:07

One advantage of a taptic home button over a mechanical one, though, is that it actually doesn't have a chance of breaking through wear and tare, because it doesn't press down.

2016-11-26 21:36:08

I don't see a problem here, correct me if i'm wrong but the phisical home button doesn't work if the phone is powered off too so you don't miss anything by having an iphone 7, the accessibility is the same in my opinion.
@Steve Jobs: if you really want ideas to be atleast red by apple you're better off sending them to [email protected]
While a nice discussion is always welcome I highly doubt that whatever we say here will be ever taken into consideration by apple.

Stephen King

2016-11-26 23:23:32

Yeah, its basically like the magic trackpads; if the thing is off, force touch doesn't make a single difference to it whatsoever.  If it's on, you'll eventually start feeling it click as if it always did that.
This is a nonissue... PERIOD!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-11-26 23:29:51

Hi.
What I would like to see if the iPhone would have something like a software button like some android phones, where you tap for example in the bottom right corner of the screen and the button would activate.
Wondering if we will have an hardware button less iPhone, but I guess the power button at leased needs to stay, because otherwise the phone couldnt be turned off, I guess, if I am wrong, please correct me on that matter.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-11-26 23:49:27

I didn't mean a crash affecting the entire phone.  I mean a crash that shuts down Voiceover.

2016-11-27 00:48:19

besides, you don't even need force-touch on a mobile device to begin with.  that's just a waste of resources that could have gone to repairing bugs in the software.

2016-11-27 02:35:06

Force touch is part of the hardware. Software just has events that map to force touch actions. And the home button is still tactile, it's just not mechanical anymore. Only difference. So, as long as you feel three clicks from the home button, voiceover *should* turn on, and if it doesn't, holding down the home button to start siri to turn voiceover on always works.

2016-11-27 04:53:37

I have seen the iPhone 7 in an Apple Store and I have no problem whatsoever with the home button. I imagine one day when the rim around it can only be felt when one's fingers are around the button, or when the button takes up the entirety of the bottom surface of the phone. I would like to ask a question of those who have iPhone 7: how does the phone differentiate between the home button is pressed twice rather than tapped twice?

2016-11-27 05:04:10

and if the vibration motor is broken, how should I say this?  You're screwed.

2016-11-27 05:18:13

That is unlikely to happen as I believe the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus consist of three haptic devices: the vibrate motor, the taptic engine in the main part of the phone for 3D touch and the taptic engine in the home button. These motors are designed and constructed for longevity and can handle hundreds of millions of vibration cycles. Furthermore, I have never heard of a vibrate motor in any device breaking; if you have, please tell me about it.

2016-11-27 06:26:36

I know more about apple than any one of you.  Trust me, things break.

2016-11-27 07:00:49

Can you explain how?

2016-11-27 07:04:40

The taptech home button actually sounds pretty cool. So what when it's on, do you feel it click?
And @17... rofl. As if.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2016-11-27 07:06:16

Yes, it actually feels like a click. It's not enough of a force to make you think that the home button is going down as it is being pressed, but it does feel like it is responding to motion.

2016-11-27 12:50:07

The taptic home button actually sounds pretty cool.

I didn't bother with the Iphone 6 since there weren't nearly enough differences from the Iphone 5 to warrent me spending quite a bit of cash. If the 7 has more actual interesting hardware that will do more things it probably will be something I'd consider, and though this thing with the home button sounds a bit more like a  gymmic to me, it does sound like the actual hardware in the phone is changing, which is the thing I would be interested in if I'm  going to get a new one.

On the other hand, the thing i really don't! like the sound of is this bit about the 3.5 mm standard headphone jack being replaced by an apple only version. There's no bennifit, there's no good with it, it's just to make sure that only Apple and licensed people can sell earbuds for the device, pure greed and nothing else, particularly since my

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-11-27 16:49:47

It actually would've been better if an android phone manufacturer did it. Still wouldn't be the right thing to do, but usb is usb. I e, not proprietary. Anyone can make a basic usb to 3.55mm adapter and decide whether to charge next to nothing for it for a low-level one, or a fair price for one that doubles as a wireless charger. Apple and Belcon are the only ones who have adapters at this point. You're stuck either paying 10bucks for a replacement adapter from Apple if it breaks, or $40 for an adapter that doubles as a charger from Belcon. Oh, and speaking of adapters, the fact that Apple never included a usbc to usb adapter with the mbp is ridiculous. Apple is very good at taking away an if it ain't broke, don't fix it necessity from their devices that plenty of people use and love. The floppy was taken away but we all knew that floppy's were dying out anyway, so no great loss. Cd drive was taken away, but there wasn't any bitching back then, or drill a hole in your mac to get a cd drive anyone? Lol! Because people could get a usb cd drive. Course people would be smart enough and purchase a usb cd drive that is not expensive and definitely is not Apple's superdrive, way too expensive. The headphone jack removal and the usb removal were their biggest mistakes. I've said it before and I'll say it again, what Apple is doing with usbc is what Microsoft did with Windows Vista. I e, rolling it out when hardware manufacturers weren't ready, had no idea what was coming what with all Vista's demand for higher resources. They didn't phase out usb, they stripped it out. Anyone would know that it would take years before all the major hardware manufacturers were absolutely ready to get rid of usb. But what Apple is doing is their way of saying screw you pal, we're not waiting for anything, either ya do it or ya don't. My point? They've been going downhill hardware wise ever since then. As for the home button breaking, I highly doubt that that would happen. Remember, the taptic engine is entirely hardware based. And the engine is designed for durability. Trust me on this one, a vibration motor will weaken before it dies out. And by weaken I mean, a good vibration motor lasts years of extensive use. And even then, you'll know when it's weakening, and that's yet another sign that the phone itself is suffering through wear and tare and it's time to get a new phone.

2016-11-27 18:12:51

Hi.
At post 17, yeah, you surely do know more about apple than we do, saying that force touch is a software thing, yeah.
I got around to experimenting with the home button of the IP7 and I really like it, even though you can't press the button anymore, it still feels like you are pressing the button due to the tapptic engine in the home button doing quite an amazing job.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-11-27 18:55:46

Hello.
This is offtopic.
But can you add in the new ios the old voices like Simona for romanian?
I like these voices more than these vocalizer expresive voices like Ioana or Samanta.
Thanks and sorry for my english.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2016-11-27 19:32:15

@JAck, I'm not even sure that removing Usb and hthe headphone jack is because the hardware is better, heck certainly not on the proprietory headphone jack at all, it's greed pure and simple, to cut down the number of third party manufacturers of apple hardware and make sure people are forced to buy from Apple themselves or from someone who has had direct license from Apple to manufacture apple products.

Then again, this is Apple's thinking all the way, look at the "Itunes or bust" mentality for even trying to work with media.

As usual though it's a case of look at any potentially good things from the device and either live with the bad or work around it.

For me, since I abandoned any idea of my Iphone cooperating with my pc at all, the Usb thing doesn't bother me, however the headphone jack is quite the irritation, since it'll mean carrying spare pairs of earbuds around with me as of course what works on aple's devices won't work on say my Victor stream. That is certainly a point against the so called upgrade to the Iphone 7, though whether there is any practical good in the thing that compensates for this irritation I'm not sure.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)