2016-09-26 11:20:43

Hi.
I am currently having an internship at a local IT-Consultant which is also specializing in remotely accessing servers of other companys for program installation and setup processes.
The problem now is that they asked me to remotely connect to a server and work with the installed garage control program to make sure that not everyone can drive in to the garage compound.
I wanted to connect to the server via the standard Windows RDP client. I entered the server adress and my user credentials and was dropped on the server interface which, quite logically had no screen reader support.
I am wondering, is there a way to get screen reader support for the server? If I am not mistaken, we have MS Server 2008 running on the machine, I also don't have hardware access to the server.
So, are their any possibilitys?
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-09-26 11:27:17

First thing that comes to mind is try and use OCR on the screen, server 2008 is accessible with NVDA. The server might only be running the core version of 2008 which is only a shell prompt, i'm not sure, just guessing. Hope this helps a little.

2016-09-26 12:57:36

Hi.
No, OCR doesnt work because NVDA is not even activated on the server, imagine it like if you would turn on a Virtual machine and you don't have a screen reader runnning.
Greetings Moritz

2016-09-26 16:50:51

I don't know anything about windows server, but is arrator not included?

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-09-27 15:46:42

It is not that hard to get an accessable RDP connection, depending on the server. If the server has narator, before connecting first go to your remote desktop option and make sure it is streaming audio. Then once connected and you know you are on the remote end, try pressing windows U. If you hear anna, just start narator, vuala. But if not, go to the run dialog on the remote server and type "net start audiosrv" to start the audio service on the remote computer because windows server usually has it off by default. Once this is done if you have no remote speech attempt windows U again. The biggest part though is making sure there is even audio coming from the remote machine. Once you think you typed net start audiosrv properly, if you can't get speech, see if there is audio. Go into run and type blablabla or something. I have never got to this point, but possibly you would hear windows critical stop when that item did not exist, though this i'm not sure of in win server. Hope this helps a little.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2016-09-27 18:51:27

Hey samn, your awesome man, i never knew about the netstart audiosrv command until today. Through my university i get free versions of windows server, and starting with server 2008 R2, the audio service is disabled by default, so i thought to get audio i would have to upgrade a working 2008 server to whatever version. Thanks for that, and i wasn't even asking for it lol.

2016-09-28 12:43:31

Hi.
Thanks sam for tthe hints, it seams that the audio service is enabled though because when I go there and do something at the servers interface, I hear the ding when there is no icon alocated to the key I am pressing.